Sharing resource updates between Mac & Windows

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 1:43 AM

Hi,

I have just had a very large update come down the line for L4 Mac, Great, I'm pleased to see the updater is working.

When loading the Windows version of L4 another (presumably the same) update comes down the line. Again great to have an update but i was wondering is there anyway to get Mac & Windows versions to share the one update for resources? 

I'm not sure how you guys in the US pay for your internet bandwidth but here in New Zealand you pay extra once ones monthly limit has been reached.

This gets kind of annoying especially as there doesn't appear to be any way of finding out what the updates are. This would be nice to know so that one could make a decision as to whether or not to spend extra money on downloading them now or wait until you have bandwidth spare to do the download.

Like other forum members I liked the method used in the old L3 version where on could check or uncheck an update.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:31 AM

Tony Kissell:
When loading the Windows version of L4 another (presumably the same) update comes down the line. Again great to have an update but i was wondering is there anyway to get Mac & Windows versions to share the one update for resources? 
sorry, no sharing allowed Sad

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2640
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:41 AM

Hi Tony,

While you cannot share the same directory, you should be able to direct L4 Windows to a directory that has updated books using the Scan function in the command line. Or by burning a DVD of the updated resources and directing L4 to read from the DVD. I am not running the Mac version, but in the Windows version the command is Scan drive/directory, ie Scan F:/resources.. close L4 and reopen and it should update your resources.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:45 AM

On windows and Linux it's possible to craft a link between folders (hard or soft links) so that even though they have different "addresses" they share the same digital bits.  Can you map folders on Mac?  Seems like that would be the fix - albeit almost certainly an unsupported one.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 11:25 AM

Thanks for that I might give that a try, though it still doesn't solve the issue of having updates start automatically without being asked first. I know you can cancel an update but you have to be around to notice that an update has commenced to stop it

Posts 2640
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 1:58 PM

Go to your tools, program settings and turn the automatic updates off. Then the program will notify you that you have updates, but will not download or install them until you say so.

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:27 PM

That would be an answer, but Logos still doesn't tell you what the updates are so there isn't a way to prirotise the downloads.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS