What if.....

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:37 AM

May it never happen... but what would happen to all of our investment (and resources) if the company folded? Since all of the resources and the application for that matter are linked and tied back to your servers. Would we still be able to install and use the application and resources with out "the cloud"?

T

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:43 AM

Todd Anson Wilkins:
Would we still be able to install and use the application and resources with out "the cloud"?

We can exist outside of the cloud today, with only minor features such as the homepage and reading lists suffering. We would also loss the future web app and Iphone apps. The problem most have is that reinstalling, with the current installation procedures, would be virtually impossible.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:32 AM

As the CEO, Bob Pritchett has stated (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4631/36347.aspx#36347 )

At the moment we're closely and privately held, with strong sales, no debt, and a positive bottom line. We should be around for quite a while. If something awful happened, (freak lawsuit? please don't slip on our sidewalk...) and we were wiped out, I think that we now have a large enough customer base that someone would be interested in purchasing our technology and customer list as an asset out of bankruptcy. Continuing to support and grow the platform would make financial sense at some level for someone..
--Logos "Pre-nub" Agreement - Logos Bible Software Forums

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:45 AM

Yep that would be the BIG problem. Instalation... Especially since the vision of Logos is to push any new resources down via the internet.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:08 AM

There is certainly a "risk" involved in buying any software.  I am ok with the risk, at least for now, because of the heavy discounts when compared to the print editions.  Who really knows what will happen to the company within the next 15-20 yrs?  I will say this is the reason that I am AGAINST the move toward "all things internet".  I want a prgram "in hand" that I can put on my computer manually and be able to have some sort of control.

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:40 AM

yes. Yes. YES! and YES!! More control... (and no, I dont mean less is more)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:33 AM

I once tried to reinstall from my original Windows XP disk. I had a lot of problems with software conflicts until all the SPs and Security fixes updated.  The original DVD would not have worked if I did not have internet access. Like it or not, It seems it is the way most software has gone.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 55
Glenn F | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:39 PM

I heartily agree! I drive a truck over the road and internet connections are not always available or even usable when they are there. If I have a computer crash and want to reinstall everything it is unfortunate that even if you have all of the disc for your  programs that you need a broadband connection to get everything updated back to a usable level. I am one of those who will be using L4 most of the time without the benefit of a internet connection.

Would like for the homepage to generate a totally different display when not connected to the internet with no EXTERNAL links.

HP DV7-3085dx Laptop, Intel i7 @ 1.6 Ghz, 6 Gigs of DDR3 memory, GeForce 230M Video with 1 Gig memory, 500 Gig HD, 17" Display, Windows 7

Scholars Platinum.

Posts 29
Jeff Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:26 PM

Backup your entire Logos4 directory (found in Windows 7 here: C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Logos4) to an external drive along with the complete registry key. Then the application can be installed offline anytime and you will then be safe for future offline use.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:30 PM

Jeff Brown:
along with the complete registry key

Jeff, how do you copy the registry key?

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 29
Jeff Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:40 PM

Run the Regedit utility (found in C:\Windows folder) and click on file-export-Give it a file name like registrybackup120509 and make sure export range is set to all to get a complete backup of your registry to be able to compare it with a new install in the future.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:15 PM

Jeff Brown:

Run the Regedit utility (found in C:\Windows folder) and click on file-export-Give it a file name like registrybackup120509 and make sure export range is set to all to get a complete backup of your registry to be able to compare it with a new install in the future.

Full registry backup should then be made frequently... Otherwise restoring Logos would cost you the wrong behavior of other Windows programs.

About Logos4 in registry... Besides Logos4 system objects deep down in registry, I found HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Logos4 but it has only little information.  But perhaps that is enough for a backup.

So restoration of Logos would consist in running the setup.exe tool and updating the registry.  The setup.exe would try to download the installation script though...

Perhaps, Logos needs to make an offline setup option for Logos4...

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 29
Jeff Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:24 PM

I agree. It would make sense to have an offline backup tool that we could backup our program and license files and keep an archive of a good installation that had a complete index - just in case...Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS