PB-Denver Seminary Annotated Bibliographies/Recommendations

Page 8 of 8 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
This post has 154 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2021 12:03 PM

There have been a few changes in the availability of resources on the lists, so I thought I would do a quick update.  There's not much.

0383.OT2021_1_0.docx

3806.NT2021_1_0.docx

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2021 12:05 PM

Changes in OT2021.1.0

Added links to the following volume which is now available for download:

*Cohn-Sherbok, Dan.  Messianic Judaism: A Critical Anthology.  Bloomsbury Academic, 2001.  Scholarly presentation of Messianic Judaism by a Jewish (non-Messianic) scholar.

Changes in NT2021.1.0 

Added links to the following volumes which are now available for download:

Gombis, Timothy R.  Mark (SOGBC).  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2021.

Starling, David I.  Hermeneutics as Apprenticeship: How the Bible Shapes Our Interpretive Habits and Practices.  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.

Added links to the following volumes which are now available on Pre-Publication:

Meeks, Wayne A.  The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul.  2nd edition. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2021 8:14 PM

Joseph Turner:

There have been a few changes in the availability of resources on the lists, so I thought I would do a quick update.  There's not much.

0383.OT2021_1_0.docx

3806.NT2021_1_0.docx

Thank you very much, Joseph.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 30 2021 11:23 AM

1Cor10:31:
Thank you very much, Joseph.

It's my pleasure!

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 8 2021 2:31 AM

The following versions only have a few changes, with only a few resources having come available since the last update.  The 2022 editions from Denver should be out in early to mid January.

0624.OT2021_2_0.docx

5228.NT2021_2_0.docx

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 8 2021 2:33 AM

Changes in OT2021.2.0

Cook, Stephen L.  Ezekiel 38-48: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary.  Anchor Yale Bible 22B.  Yale, 2018.  Complete the AB commentary on Ezekiel begun by the late Moshe Greenberg.

Changes in NT2021.2.0

Köstenberger, Andreas, Benjamin Merkel and Robert Plummer.  Going Deeper with New Testament GreekNashville: B&H, 2016.

Volume 2 of:

Keown, Mark.  Discovering the New Testament: An Introduction to Its Background, Theology, and Themes, 3 vols.  Volume 1: The Gospels and Acts.  Bellingham, WA: Lexham, 2018).  Volume 2: The Pauline Letters.  Bellingham, WA: Lexham, 2021.  Volume 3: General Letters and Revelation.  Bellingham, WA: Lexham, 20**.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 7:31 AM

The 2022 editions are out.  Changes will be posted in the following post.

2021.OT2022_0_0.docx

6825.NT2022_0_1.docx

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 7:34 AM

Changes in OT2022.0.0

The following resources have been added to the new edition:

*Moberly, R. W. L.  The God of the Old Testament: Encountering the Divine in Christian Scripture. Baker, 2020.  A profound investigation of the Old Testament revelation of God through the perspectives of several key biblical texts.

*Lewis, Theodore J. The Origin and Character of God: Ancient Israelite Religion through the Lens of Divinity. Oxford, 2020. A comprehensive collection and analysis of Israel’s God in archaeological and textual sources.

Butler, T.  Joshua 1-12  (WBC).  2nd ed.  Word, 2014.  Emphasis on literary critical aspects of the text as a Deuteronomistic work.

_______________.  Joshua 13-24  (WBC).  2nd ed.  Word, 2014.

*Smith, Mark S. and Elizabeth Bloch-Smith.  Judges 1-10:5  (Herm).  Fortress, 2021.  The best work available providing a linguistic, text critical, and archaeological synthesis.

Schipper, Bernd U.  Proverbs 1-15 (Herm).  Fortress, 2019.  Strong on comparative and careful exegesis of the Masoretic Text.

Changes in NT2022.0.0

The following resources have been added to the new edition: 

von Siebenthal, Heinrich.  Ancient Greek Grammar for the Study of the New Testament.  Oxford: Peter Lang, 2019. 

Beetham, Christopher A., ed.  The Concise New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and ExegesisGrand Rapids: Zondervan, 2021.

Grabbe, Lester L.  A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period, Vol 1: Yehud: A History of the Persian Province of Judah.  London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2004.

_______________.  A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period, Vol 2: The Coming of the Greeks: The Early Hellenistic Period (335-175 BCE).  London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2011.

_______________.  A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period, Vol. 3: The Maccabaean Revolt, Hasmonaean Rule, and Herod the Great (175-4 BCE).  London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2020.

_______________.  A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period, Vol. 4: The Jews under the Roman Shadow (4 BCE–150 CE).  London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2021.

Stuckenbruck, Loren T., and Daniel M. Gurtner, eds.  T & T Clark Encyclopedia of Second Temple Judaism, 2 vols.  London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2019.

*Gurtner, Daniel M.  Introducing the Pseudepigrapha of Second Temple Judaism; Message, Context, and SignificanceGrand Rapids: Baker, 2020.

Brown, Jeannine.  Scripture as Communication:  Introducing Biblical Hermeneutics.  2nd ed.  Grand Rapids:  Baker, 2021.

*Moo, Douglas J. A.  Theology of Paul and His Letters: The Gift of the New Realm in Christ.  Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2021.

Weima, Jeffrey A. D.  Paul, the Ancient Letter-Writer: An Introduction to Epistolary Analysis.  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.

Levine, Amy-Jill and Ben Witherington III.  The Gospel of Luke (NCBC).  Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press, 2018.

*Keener, Craig S.  Acts (NCBC).  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2020.

Cho, Youngmo and Hyun Dae Park.  Acts, 2 Vols. (NCCS). Eugene, OR: Cascade. 2019.

*Wright, N. T.  Galatians  (CCF).  Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2021.

*Keener, Craig S.  1 Peter: A Commentary.  Grand Rapids: Baker, 2021.

Bateman, Herbert.  John’s Letters; An Exegetical Guide for Preaching and Teaching  (BGIS).  Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2018.

The following resources have been removed from the new edition:

Marshall, I. Howard, ed.  Moulton and Geden Concordance to the Greek New Testament.  6th ed.  New York:  Continuum, 2002.

Nash, Ronald H.  The Gospel and the Greeks:  Did the New Testament Borrow from Pagan Thought?  Phillipsburg, NJ:  P & R, 2003.

Charlesworth, James H.  The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha and the New Testament.  Rev. ed.  Valley Forge:  Trinity Press Intl., 1998.

Bond, Helen K. and Larry W. Hurtado, eds.  Peter in Early Christianity.  Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 2015.

Chester, Stephen.  Reading Paul with the Reformers: Reconciling Old and New Perspectives.  Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2017.

Thiselton, Anthony C.  The Living Paul:  An Introduction to the Apostle’s Life and Thought.  Downers Grove:  IVP, 2009.

Kernaghan, Ronald J.  Mark  (IVPNTC).  Downers Grove:  IVP, 2007.

Larkin, William J.  Acts  (NTC).  Downers Grove:  IVP, 1995.

Quinn, Jerome D. and William C. Wacker.  The First and Second Letters to Timothy  (ECC).  Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 2000.

Goppelt, Leonhard.  A Commentary on 1 Peter.  Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 1983.

Burge, Gary M.  The Letters of John  (NIVAC).  Grand Rapids:  Zondervan, 1996.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 8:35 AM

This post deleted because I was able to change the NT file in the original post above for NT2022_0_1.

Posts 257
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 7:30 PM

I've seen this thread before but am just now downloading the files... after building the book I honestly said, "wow." 

amazing work. thank you

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2022 5:49 AM

Tony Walker:

I've seen this thread before but am just now downloading the files... after building the book I honestly said, "wow." 

amazing work. thank you

No problem, Tony!  

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2022 4:44 AM

Sorry to do new editions so quickly, but I went back and rechecked all volumes not available for purchase or pre-order in Logos to see if they had become available for Kindle, and several had, so I have added those notes to the end of those entries.

6153.OT2022_1_0.docx

3225.NT2022_1_0.docx

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 6:17 AM

Small Update:

2577.OT2022_2_0.docx

1351.NT2022_2_0.docx

Changes in OT2022.2.0

Several subtitles were centered in the previous edition.  Everything is now left aligned (I don’t know why they made this change; I’m just following their formatting). 

Added links to the following volumes which are now available on Pre-Publication:

Stern, Ephraim, ed.  The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land.  Simon and Schuster, 1995.  4 volumes.  Supplementary Volume 5, Biblical Archaeology Society, 2008.  Essential reference guide for sites.

Changes in NT2022.2.0

(Available 4/26) Wenham, David.  Paul: Follower of Jesus or Founder of Christianity?  Grand Rapids:  Eerdmans, 1995.

Posts 1733
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 11:14 AM

This is a prepub

https://www.logos.com/product/168702/paul-follower-of-jesus-or-founder-of-christianity 

and ships on 26th April 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2022 1:26 PM

Veli Voipio:

Right, I put it in the release notes just above your post.  I went ahead and put the resource link since it is so close to release.

Page 8 of 8 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS