Irving Jensen's Do-It-Yourself Bible Study Guides

Page 2 of 8 (145 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 144 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 19643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 4:49 AM

Cynthia in Florida:
It has been over a year since I started this thread, and I STILL cannot find the 1 Corinthians Do It Yourself Guide. :(

Hi Cynthia,

I've located the ISBN for it from its Google Books listing: 9780898401165

I was able to find it on WorldCat, and there are five libraries that have a copy of it:

So maybe you could borrow it via Inter-Library Loan. Or if it isn't available for ILL from any of those institutions, if you know of someone who lives near one of those places, maybe you could send your friend in to photocopy it.

Another lead I found is Les Stobbe, who was for many years the editorial director and later president of Here's Life Publishers (which was the publishing subsidiary of Campus Crusade) until it was sold to Thomas Nelson. He's been blogging about his time there in a series of recent posts called God Moments in My Publishing Life (posts 10-17 in that series). He now runs Leslie H. Stobbe Literary Agency. I bet if anyone still has a copy of the book, he might, or might know who does, because it was published in 1983 during his tenure there as editorial director. He has a Contact page on his website, or you could try les (at) stobbeliterary (dot) com, which I found here.

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 4:46 PM

Dear Cynthia --

HELLO  . . . it's me, Dr. Jensen's daughter Karen . . . and I HAVE the Do-It-Yourself Bible studies . . . I would be happy to connect with you to send one of my extra copies. Reading these posts have just confirmed again that God wants these books (as well as possibly a few others that have been OP for many years) to be resurrected again somehow. Thank you for your persistence! Feel free to contact me at my email:  scrapperkare@gmail.com

In His grace,

Karen Jensen Collins

(I live in the Atlanta, GA area)

DIY 1 Corinthians by Irving Jensen

Posts 8
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 7:24 PM

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than to say to Karen Jensen Collins that I remember meeting your father when he was still at Bryan College around 1985 when I entered as a freshman there.  It was an honor to shake his hand.  I still remember his warmth and ever-present smile even at meeting a teenager he didn't know.  The joy of our Lord was evident in his face, his work, and his ministry. 

My parents attended and graduated from Bryan in the 50s and spoke highly of him.  He has obviously left a lasting legacy.  I recall using his OT Survey text for one of my classes (and still have a copy over my shoulder here in my office) and I recall having a class that I believe followed your dad's inductive methods.  It's been 30 years since then, so everything is a fuzzy memory now.  I found this thread fascinating for what some have said about your dad's studies and how these folks have found them helpful.

May the Lord give you direction and wisdom as you consider how to proceed with possibly bringing some of his works back to print.  Blessings to you!

Alan McManus

Posts 19643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 12:38 AM

Karen Jensen Collins:
HELLO  . . . it's me, Dr. Jensen's daughter Karen . . . and I HAVE the Do-It-Yourself Bible studies . . . I would be happy to connect with you to send one of my extra copies. Reading these posts have just confirmed again that God wants these books (as well as possibly a few others that have been OP for many years) to be resurrected again somehow. Thank you for your persistence! Feel free to contact me at my email:  scrapperkare@gmail.com

Wow, Karen, amazing that you discovered this thread and responded. Thank you for making yourself known. I feel that it would be good to put someone in the Electronic Text Development group at Faithlife/Logos in touch with you to see if they'd like to pursue doing digital publication of your father's "Doi-It-Yourself Bible Studies" series. Do you hold the copyright on them, or would you be able to put them in touch with whoever is the copyright holder (a publisher)? I think the person to talk to would be Bill Nienhuis, Director of Publisher Relations & Services, Electronic Text Development (ETD), email: bill (at) faithlife (dot) (the usual 3-letter extension for company domain names).

I see that Google Books already has ebook editions of several of your father's books available for purchase, but not any of these.

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 8:01 AM

Alan, how encouraging to read your post! Thank you for sharing that!!

It's always great to meet a fellow Bryan alum. I graduated in '78, so I was gone by the time you came. Yes, '85 would have been right around the time that he retired from teaching. Are you related to a McManus that my older sister, Donna, recalls from her class ('76 graduate)?

I hope to follow Rosie's suggestion and contact Logos about making these OP titles available electronically . . .

In His grace,

Karen

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 8:06 AM

Rosie, thank you so much! Yes, I am going to follow through with your suggestion and contact them. I have wanted to get some of Dad's OP books back in circulation, either in print or electronically, but life kept getting in the way and I wasn't able to set aside time to work on it.

Yes, our family holds the copyright on the OP titles (Moody still has a number of titles still available).

I will come back and post an update after finding out what Logos can do!

Blessings to all of you on this thread for your persistence in attempting to locate this particular Bible study series . . . and how God is going to use it to expand the ministry of inductive Bible study into the future. All glory to God!

Karen

Posts 26
mc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 9:11 AM

Thank you for the update Karen.  I hope you and Logos will be able to get the Bible study series into the Faithlife family.  I would certainly be interested in having them in Logos or Vyrso format.

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 9:27 AM

mc:

Thank you for the update Karen.  I hope you and Logos will be able to get the Bible study series into the Faithlife family.  I would certainly be interested in having them in Logos or Vyrso format.

YesYes

The Do It Yourself guides revolutionized my preparation and teaching of my Sunday School class decades ago. I hope others will be able to benefit from this great approach as well.

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 9:37 AM

Thank you, Edwin & MC! I've already emailed Bill at Logos, but of course, it's Easter weekend, so I'm not expecting a response until next week. Will keep y'all informed!

Posts 2844
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 10:35 AM

Wow, this would be great. Love to see this in Logos.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9023
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 11:02 AM

...And to all these, where is Cynthia? She hasn't even replied to this thread to acknowledge to the rest that she has received the great news about the Bible study guides she's been looking for...shame...shame...when she sees this thread she's probably assuming  others are just writing about it and doesn't realize that someone is offering her what she's been looking for this past year. Come on Cynthia have some courtesy  and let the rest of us know that you have seen the light at the end of the tunnel [:-P]

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:19 PM

Ha! I wondered that as well, and figured that she must be away from internet/email usage, perhaps on vacation . . . I'm sure she'll eventually see this . . . !

Posts 19643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 4:51 PM

She hasn't posted anything since Feb 27, so maybe she gave up the Internet for Lent. Smile

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 6:18 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!  

OH 

MY

GOOD-NESS!  WOOHOOO!

THANKS SO MUCH.  Contacting you now!

Okay, done shouting, but I'm SO super excited I can't even contain myself.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 6:21 PM

Actually, this is rather shocking, but with the absolute divine hand of God, I was the recipient of a 100% scholarship.  Between teaching at Church, home schooling 12 high schoolers, and college, my time is spread so very thin until June.

Rosie, thank you so much for sending me an email abou this.  It was very thoughtful of you!!!

Cynthia

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 6:37 PM

Karen Jensen Collins:

Alan, how encouraging to read your post! Thank you for sharing that!!

It's always great to meet a fellow Bryan alum. I graduated in '78, so I was gone by the time you came. Yes, '85 would have been right around the time that he retired from teaching. Are you related to a McManus that my older sister, Donna, recalls from her class ('76 graduate)?

I hope to follow Rosie's suggestion and contact Logos about making these OP titles available electronically . . .

In His grace,

Karen

YES YES YES PLEASE!!!!

Cynthia

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 6:41 PM

Dal:  THANKS! :)

I HAVE finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel after looking for this study for years!  I'm so very excited, I can't even describe.  I did just contact Karen, and I think this must honestly be the very best gift someone has given me in YEARS!!!  They studies are so very well written.  I enjoy them immensely!

Thanks to eveyone who helped me find the book.  In His perfect timing...

Blessings to you Karen.  There's not enough words to so how very thankful I am.

Cynthia

Posts 40
Karen Jensen Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2015 7:21 PM

Just a quick note to say thanks again to all of you on this thread for your encouragement . . . and Rosie, for getting in touch with Cynthia, who immediately emailed me yesterday. I'm happy to say that THE BOOK went out in today's mail and should be in your box MONDAY!

Thanks also to my older sister, Donna Carter, who discovered these posts and brought it to my attention . . .

As promised, I will give updates as I move forward with Logos!

Praise God that HE is the Resurrection and the Life! Happy Easter!

karen

Posts 8
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 5:30 AM

Karen, you're quite welcome.  There is at least one other McManus clan that I've come across in the Bryan alum family.  Outside of my parents plus one sister that attended BC for two years around '80, we aren't related to any of the others.  Although much of the alumni body feels like family as you probably can attest to as well.

Posts 812
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 12:00 PM

Woohoo!  Thank you so much Karen!!!  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thanks Rosie for all your help!

It's a beautiful day here in South Florida!!! 

I was jumping up and down doing the happy dance when the mail came...my 16 year old looked at me like I lost my mind!  So SUPER happy!

Cynthia

Page 2 of 8 (145 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS