Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 148
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:57 AM

I don't have a paper copy of Harper's Bible Commentary so I don't know if I'm missing something or not but it seems odd that almost 30 verses wouldn't be commented on.

Is this a typo? Or is there another way of reporting a missing section of a book (if it indeed is a missing section--which I'm hoping someone with Harper's Bible Commentary can confirm or rule out)?

Thanks for your help.

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:28 AM

Colin Cameron:
I don't have a paper copy of Harper's Bible Commentary so I don't know if I'm missing something or not but it seems odd that almost 30 verses wouldn't be commented on.

I do not have a paper copy either but it does seem strange to skip 30 verses. My Logos copy does the same as yours so if there was an omission it would be on the part of Logos.

Anyone have a paper copy to check?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1678
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:34 AM

There is not a typo. In this edition of The Harper's Bible Commentary those verses are not covered.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:57 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
There is not a typo. In this edition of The Harper's Bible Commentary those verses are not covered.

Thank you for your quick response. It is surprising "Mr Harper" Big Smile did not find anything worthy of comment in those verses. It is good to know my Logos copy has no omissions. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:49 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Peace, Kyle!                                     ... and ...              ....  Always Joy in the Lord!                *smile*

This is an extremely interesting and very significant thread, Kyle!              Missing from Harper's is the actual call of Matthew to follow Jesus and the very critically important visit of Jesus to the house where publicans fellowshipped with Jesus and He with them .....

I cannot believe that this was not included in the "original" edition of Harper's Bible Commentary.                   My question is .....              Have you (or will you, please!) put this on a list of important items that need to be checked out.         Logos has already updated this morning over 25 of my resources; and I am incredibly  grateful!     Thank you, Logos!     *smile*       Please search for the original edition of this resource also and update our resources!                 *smile*

I have many resources and the strength of my library does not depend solely upon restoring the integrity of this one book; however, I sincerely do request Logos to begin to get us who own Harper's (which is probably most of us!)  the true original!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1678
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:35 AM

I understand your frustrations Milford. It is a curious omission. The edition we carry is the 1985 edition. I double checked the print this morning and it does not cover that passage.

Posts 148
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:44 AM

Thanks for checking on this Kyle ... It's very odd that almost 30 verses would be missing from a commentary but stranger things happen in the world than this.

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:49 AM

Blessings, Kyle!                         I guess I didn't make my point very well, so I'll try again!              *smile*                 I really mean all the "praise" I lavish on you great people at Logos!

What an excellent job you do!      Indeed!                 But ...     my point is ....    

I would appreciate very much Logos' acquiring the edition that DOES HAVE this passage in it.    

I can't imagine that the original publisher's edition did not have this section there.         Of course, I've been wrong many times in my life, maybe here also. 

So my suggestion/request to you  ....         are you sweet guys gonna check this out???         *smile*

Edit:              Yes!    Thank you very much for checking out the edition you do have!        And, finally, this is not an urgent request that you "go the extra mile"; however, it is a plea that if this is reasonably possible, then it would be much appreciated!            I am quite aware that Logos has already gone "many, many extra miles"!!!        *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1678
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:43 AM

I made a slight error in my earlier reply. Our edition is the 1988 (not 1985) edition. To the best of my knowledge this is the first edition. Unfortunately this means there is no earlier edition we could use.

I do know the publishers created a Revised Edition in 2000. I am not sure what is covered in the revisions or how it differs from the first edition. It's possible they made an addition they included comments on this gap in Matthew. At this time I do not  have access to that information. Someone who owns the 2000 edition might be able to better answer that question. Either way at this moment I do not believe we have plans to sell the newer version. You are certainly free to suggest we sell it though.

Long Story Short: Unfortunately I don't think we'll get to see what the 1988 authors of Harpers Bible Commentary might have had to say about that gap of verses in Matthew.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:30 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Either way at this moment I do not believe we have plans to sell the newer version. You are certainly free to suggest we sell it though.

Long Story Short: Unfortunately I don't think we'll get to see what the 1988 authors of Harpers Bible Commentary might have had to say about that gap of verses in Matthew.

Peace, Kyle!                         *smile*

Thanks so very much for the straight talk!                 I can accept and handle that.  Really appreciated!    

I'm one who likes everything tied up -- at the end -- into nice, neat, tidy little knots --                     unfortunately so many of my organisational skills seem to spell "mess"!  *smile*

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS