Logos 5 keeps not responding and takes a a little while to load

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Chuck Guy | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2013 5:31 AM

I just received Logos 5 for windows yesterday and I downloaded it and waited for it to finishing indexing before i used it. Once it finished indexing I started using it. I notice that sometimes, and most times, when i do a search the program says "stopped responding" and i either have to wait a few seconds or close the program. Did i miss a step in the installation process? is there something that happens after indexing that i missed? i am using windows 7

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 8:21 AM

Hello Chuck,

This sounds like your system is having a little trouble rendering the large amount of data on screen. This might be a sign that your computer is a little under-powered for Logos 5, or that something else is using too much of your system resources. Before we can begin to troubleshoot this, there are a few things we should check and a few things we should try.

First, what are the hardware specs for your computer? You can find this by typing "dxdiag" in your start menu to open the DirectX Diagnostic tool.

• On the "System" tab, what does it show for Processor and Memory?
  • On the "Display" or "Display 1" tab, what is the Device Name, Approx. Total Memory and Driver Version?

This will give us a better idea of your computer's base-line performance.

--

Next, do you have other applications open? If you have a lot of additional applications running, they may be using up a lot of your memory or processing power that Logos could be using.

--

Finally, have you installed all of your Windows Updates? Sometimes slow performance can be a direct result of out-dated drivers or windows components.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 8
Chuck Guy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 7:32 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Processor- Intel® Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz (2CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory- 3072MB RAM

Device Name- Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Approx Total Memory- 1324 MB

Driver Version- 8.15.10.2302

I don’t have any other applications open at the time of using it. Ive been using it a lot and now it only seems to  do it for a few seconds only when I use certain features

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:16 PM

chuck guy:

Processor- Intel® Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz (2CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory- 3072MB RAM

Device Name- Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Observation: hardware specifications are between Minimum and Recommended => http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq

Logos 5 is a resource intensive application that benefits from fast processor (e.g. 2nd or 3rd Generation Intel i5 or i7), graphics, and quick storage along with adequate memory (i.e. newer hardware since Logos is being designed for use over 5 to 8 years); Solid State Disk (SSD) is noticeably faster than hard disk.

Anti-virus scanning of files on demand can noticeably slow down Logos.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:44 AM

It sounds like your system is a little closer to minimum than recommended. This may result in exactly the behavior you've described. When performing more resource-intensive tasks, like scrolling multiple windows at the same time, rendering large searches, or executing a search from the home page, etc - Logos may say "not responding" for a moment.

You may be able to upgrade some of your components and improve performance. Specifically, your "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express" video card is actually what we call "integrated video". This means that your CPU is processing video and borrowing RAM from the system. So your 3GB of memory is being used by Windows (0.5-1GB), then shared out to your video processor (1.3GB) and the remainder (0.7-1.2GB) is being used by Logos and all your background applications, like Antivirus, etc.

Upgrading your system to a dedicated video card, and/or increasing your total RAM could make a significant difference. You'll need to do some research to see if this is actually possible for your hardware. You may want to talk to the Geek Squad at your local BestBuy, or similar service at another computer hardware retailer.

(Keep in mind, if you're using 32bit Windows, you won't be able to use more than 3GB of memory, so don't let them sell you a RAM upgrade unless you're on 64bit Windows. This is often overlooked.)

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS