Bug: phonetic input of hebrew with words starting with aleph and ayin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:28 AM | Locked

Ok, maybe this isn't a bug per se, but something that could be optimised; the input scheme for greek and hebrew is meant to be phonetic but it breaks down with the silent consonants.

So for example h:elohim doesn't come up with the correct lemma, it wants h:alohim...

I tried to do a search for a word beginning with an ayin eg עֶ֫בֶד

It would make sense to me to input that as eved or ebed but I couldn't work out what letter it wants for the ayin (I never did bother much with transliteration schemes, it seemed fairly pointless once you could read the script Smile)

I realise this is probably a result of the the transliteration schemes having characters for the silent consonants, but you guys are smart and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to work around this - if the first input letter from the user is a vowel that's fairly suggestive that the word has a silent consonant at the start Smile

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:30 AM | Locked

Jon, aren't you supposed to use an apostrophe?

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:34 AM | Locked

I did try that, but then it didn't come up with any hebrew lemmas at all:

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:49 PM | Locked

Jon,

This does need to be addressed.

It's strange that it accepts "a" but not "e" and that it does not accept the apostrophe at all.

It really does need to accept the apostrophe ( both ' and `) - this is standard for transliteration and many are going to try this...

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:20 PM | Locked

Yeah, now that I worked out how to look at the keyboard layout for the Logos hebrew keyboard it really does seem like a bug - it's not that I just don't know what I'm doing with the transliteration Smile

Posts 25384
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 10:03 PM | Locked

Jon Rumble:

Ok, maybe this isn't a bug per se, but something that could be optimised; the input scheme for greek and hebrew is meant to be phonetic but it breaks down with the silent consonants.

So for example h:elohim doesn't come up with the correct lemma, it wants h:alohim...

- if the first input letter from the user is a vowel that's fairly suggestive that the word has a silent consonant at the start Smile

I agree!  L4 used to crash with a vowel, so h:elohim should do the right thing!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8148
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:58 PM | Locked

Jon Rumble:

I have filed this bug.

Jon Rumble:

I tried to do a search for a word beginning with an ayin eg עֶ֫בֶד

It would make sense to me to input that as eved or ebed but I couldn't work out what letter it wants for the ayin (I never did bother much with transliteration schemes, it seemed fairly pointless once you could read the script Smile)

I realise this is probably a result of the the transliteration schemes having characters for the silent consonants, but you guys are smart and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to work around this - if the first input letter from the user is a vowel that's fairly suggestive that the word has a silent consonant at the start Smile

It looks like ayin (as well as aleph) will be suggested for "a"; typing "h:abd" in Bible Word Study or BHS search found that word as one of the suggestions for me.

Posts 8148
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:58 PM | Locked

Jon Rumble:

I did try that, but then it didn't come up with any hebrew lemmas at all:

The single quote works in Bible Word Study, but not in Morph Search, as you have pointed out. I have filed this bug.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 6:02 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
It looks like ayin (as well as aleph) will be suggested for "a"; typing "h:abd" in Bible Word Study or BHS search found that word as one of the suggestions for me.

Yes, this works, but it's not phonetic!

If one is looking for 'ebed one should not have to type abd.

Anyway, thanks for filing the bug report.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS