New Computer Wireless Disconnected Intermittently Possibly Related to Logos software

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:30 PM

I am in the beginning stages of troubleshooting an issue with my new Dell 6530 Latitude laptop.   I purchased it primarily to use with Bible software and Logos 5 in particular.  Recently, I noticed that my wireless connection would be interrupted "out of the blue".  I could easily get it back by re-starting the computer or toggling the Airplane on/off setting.  I ran the issue by Dell and from my description their first guess is it could be a software issue, perhaps Windows Updates or Anti-virus.

Today, I did not open Logos 5 but used the laptop to watch training videos from my external hard drive and left the computer on all day.  After nine hours, I still had wireless without any interruption.  Then, I thought I would start up Logos 5.  I did.  And lost my wireless in a few minutes.  My internet use was set "on".  After turning my wireless back on manually and leaving Logos 5 open, I opened email and browsed the internet with IE and lost the connection again.  I am trying to determine if my system has an issue with Logos 5 by sharing to see if anyone else with a new Windows 8 machine might have a similar issue.  It could be totally coincidental that I lost wireless when I opened up L5.  This is not meant to "blame" or "accuse" but all in the interest of problem solving.

I run Logos 5 on my desktop, also wireless, which has Windows 7 and have not had this issue.  And I still have Logos 4 on an old laptop which has never dropped its wireless connection.  So, I tend to think it is not the internet service provider.

I spoke to Logos Tech support and they wanted me to post my description of the issue so it is exposed to the Logos community.  Again, this is the beginning stage of troubleshooting.  I have decided to run Logos 5 tomorrow in offline mode.

Thank you for any help!

Wireless card : (Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 802.11n 3x3 Half Mini Card, Dell Latitude E4/Mobile Precision)

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:07 PM

Joan,

One thing you might want to check is that you have the latest, most up to date, Intel driver for your wifi card.  Instead of checking via Windows and/or Dell Support, I would recommend that you check by using the Intel Driver Update Utility ( http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect ).  Sometimes Windows and PC Manufacturers updates to third party equipment can be delayed.

FWIW: I have had zero network connection problems on a Win 8 64 bit machine (wired or wireless) when using L5.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:18 PM

Also, try another channel for your wireless card to use (it's a driver setting). Wireless channels can be affected my interference from many sources - phones, electrical equipment, etc.  You can also with some wireless cards change the bandwidth that it uses (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz), if you can with yours see if that affects the way it works. You might also, if this is too technical, just try moving your laptop to somewhere else and see if it makes a difference. I assume it's close to the wireless router you use?

Intel has a troubleshooting tool that supports Centrino here:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025780.htm

If it was me I would run it, I would also run it while Logos was running, and see what it says. If you google for "wireless diagnostic software" you will find some other free tools to test signal strength etc. as well.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:41 PM

OK, Dominic and JRS,

I see you are focusing on the card.  I will do what you suggest, if I can figure it all out.  A challenge.  I can also formally get Dell tech support involved since they are responsible for my hardware and any software issues for 4 years.  I do love the laptop!

Thank you!!!

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:21 AM

Dominick Sela:
Also, try another channel for your wireless card to use (it's a driver setting). Wireless channels can be affected my interference from many sources - phones, electrical equipment, etc.  You can also with some wireless cards change the bandwidth that it uses (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz), if you can with yours see if that affects the way it works.

Just to clarify that bandwidth and channel are managed by the wireless router not the wireless card on the laptop i.e. the wireless card will try to connect to the router and receive/transmit as per the router's settings. If they work together you know that the two are compatible

I think the issue lies with the equipment and not Logos software. So get Dell to help, but it is possible that the router is failing. How old? What Make/model?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 3:46 AM

Thanks Dave you said it better than me. I still think checking out different channels on both ends is advisable, as interference can cause problems. Here is an article on it, and in my experience I have found some channels clearly run faster and more reliably than others, albeit all connect and are functional:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:59 AM

Dave Hooton:
I think the issue lies with the equipment and not Logos software. So get Dell to help, but it is possible that the router is failing. How old? What Make/model?

The modem/router is a 2Wire Gateway, 2701HG-B.  It is not new, however I don't think it is failing since all six of our other devices work just fine on it. (But I can be wrong.)  Dell Prosupport updated the driver for the card.  They do not think the card is bad since I regain the signal when I toggle wireless back on right away.  It could be due to interference from other signals in the area as Dominick suggested.  Right now, the cause is hard to pin down.  The good news is that I reset the router and also, have had no signal loss the rest of the day.  And, I will get new equipment when I change internet service providers in the next quarter.  Time will tell.  If I lose the signal again, I plan to go to the library and coffee shops and test receptivity in other wireless environments.  Or have my ISP help change the channel on the router.  Thanks!

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:54 PM

Joan Korte:
I ran the issue by Dell and from my description their first guess is it could be a software issue, perhaps Windows Updates or Anti-virus.

What about the antivirus?  Is it the same antivirus program you use on your other computers?  Computer mfgs frequently bundle a limited time antivirus with the computer and software.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:22 PM

The latest tech said it was not the anti-virus since I run the same on other machines.  Thanks, George.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:39 PM

Joan Korte:
It could be due to interference from other signals in the area as Dominick suggested. 

MetaGeek offers an open source Wi-Fi Scanner that shows wireless signal contention => http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Trying to avoid wireless signal interference can be a bit challenging.

One option for Logos is choosing when to work online OR offline.   Working offline avoids wireless disconnecting; albeit some items are not available in Logos when offline.   When online, Logos syncs every few minutes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 3:06 PM

Thanks, KSFJ, you have been helpful.

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:50 AM

Of course if everything else fails, you could always try the repair method that millions of people are convinced works every time ...

Wink

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS