Pre-Pub Request: Eerdman's Commentary on the Bible, Dunn, Rogerson, 2003

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15
John McWilliams | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:17 AM

I have searched the forums and prepubs and did not find this.  Logos is missing a good currrent one-volume Bible Commentary.  I would prefer the Eerdmans but would be happy with the New Interpreters, New Jerome, Oxford or HarperCollins. 

If anyone has a suggestion for a resource similar to these currently available for Logos 5 I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:58 AM

John McWilliams:
I have searched the forums and prepubs and did not find this.  Logos is missing a good currrent one-volume Bible Commentary.  I would prefer the Eerdmans but would be happy with the New Interpreters, New Jerome, Oxford or HarperCollins. 

Out of curiosity I'm wondering why you want a 1 vol commentary.  A set of separate commentaries on the entire bible isn't any heavier to carry nor does it require more room to pack than a 1 vol commentary.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15
John McWilliams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:30 AM

Two reasons really, cost and a balance of succinctness and depth. On the first, per your signature: I share Erasmus' love of books but children and wife limit the options.   Secondly, particularly  when I wander in my readings to Biblical books with which I am less familiar, I like to have a succinct overview with a bit more depth than a Bible dictionary might provide. 

Posts 1555
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:57 AM

John McWilliams:

Two reasons really, cost and a balance of succinctness and depth. On the first, per your signature: I share Erasmus' love of books but children and wife limit the options.   Secondly, particularly  when I wander in my readings to Biblical books with which I am less familiar, I like to have a succinct overview with a bit more depth than a Bible dictionary might provide. 

Doesn't the Eerdmans one-volume commentary also include some of the pseudepigrapha (Psalm 151 and 1 Enoch)?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:29 PM

John McWilliams:

If anyone has a suggestion for a resource similar to these currently available for Logos 5 I would be most appeciative.

Thanks!

Have you considered http://www.logos.com/product/753/the-new-bible-commentary

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1555
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:45 PM

George Somsel:

The New Bible Commentary is a good choice if you want a one-volume commentary.

For those who want to take a look at the Eerdmans Commentary, here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Eerdmans-Commentary-Bible-James-Dunn/dp/0802837115/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358020976&sr=8-1&keywords=dunn+eerdmans

Posts 15
John McWilliams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:32 PM

George and HJ - Thank you for your replies.  I should have metioned I do own the New Bible Commentary (1994 - from the IVP Ref Collection) which is good and my quick reference for now.  I also have the older Harpers, Jerome and Bible Knowledge from way back in Logos 2.0.

The Eerdmans has great coverage and has some strong authors.  I'm about ready to purchase it in print but would greatly prefer a Logos version. For those of you who haven't seen it, take a look at the link HJ posted above and check out the table of contents.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 6:43 PM

For me, the problem with the New Bible Commentary is that it's far too conservative theologically. HarperCollins, Eerdmans, and New Jerome would be good alternatives, and happen to be the ones I recommend to people as well.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:19 PM

I agree Adam and having the Apocryphal works and 1Enoch is great (it;s the only one volume to cover that book).

-Dan

Posts 1594
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:44 PM

Oxford used to be available. I got in on cd from a third party, and still have it in L4, but I don't think it's available for purchase any more.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 1:32 PM

It's easy to forget these 1-volume commentaries cover a lot of the less-traveled books. As Ben mentions, this is Oxford for comparison (OT apocrypha):

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 15
John McWilliams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 6:39 AM

Update - According to Eerdmans, Logos has licensed the ECB and it will be coming at some point in the future.  Anyone at Logos have a date?  Thanks

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 10:46 AM

Great news… but lets hope it gets made.

-Dan

Posts 1555
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:02 AM

Dan Francis:

Great news… but lets hope it gets made.

Yes

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 12 2013 12:45 PM

John McWilliams:

Update - According to Eerdmans, Logos has licensed the ECB and it will be coming at some point in the future.  Anyone at Logos have a date?  Thanks

I know this is only second hand info, but any idea when it can make it to the pre pub system????

-Dan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2013 2:18 PM

It is here in this set, no idea how long we need to wait to get it by itself.: https://www.logos.com/product/36612/eerdmans-commentary-collection#001

-Dan

Posts 15
John McWilliams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 2:24 PM
I love Logos but this is frustrating. I am finding that many books I would like are available only in sets. I wanted to get Milgrom's volume on Leviticus only to find you have to buy the entire Anchor Bible to get it! For those of you who are more Logos-wise than I, is this bundling thing new or old? Do they ever un-bundle books?
Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 3:46 PM

Sometimes it takes years to unbundle books if it ever happens at all... Eerdmans NIC was just unbundled, leaving it very frustrated that the majority of new Eerdman books  are in sets only for this new set..

-Dan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 3:55 PM

Eerdmans Commentary Collection (13 vols.) still needs a few more to get under contract...

-dan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 5:26 PM

BUMP Geeked Closer but still need more....

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS