Optimal Settings for Running Parallels on Mac for L4

Page 2 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 91
Rick Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 3:21 PM

I spoke to level 2 tech support with Parallels and they said Parallels runs best with 2 gb of ram, and 2 cores at the MAX. In fact if you give it 4 gb of ram it actually runs slower!

I have a quad core i7 with 8 gb of ram. I was giving it 4 cores and 4 gb of ram (since the i7 acts as 8 cores) and it was super slow. The parallel rep said that it has been tested, and if you give it more then 2 gb of ram, or more then 2 cores then it runs really poorly.  

Also he said that that 64 bit win 7 runs slower then 32 bit under Parallels. (I'm using Parallels 5 by the way) 

Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this matter.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:08 PM

Rick Smith:
I spoke to level 2 tech support with Parallels and they said Parallels runs best with 2 gb of ram, and 2 cores at the MAX. In fact if you give it 4 gb of ram it actually runs slower!

After reading your post, I changed my RAM setting from 4GB to 2, and L4 on XP does seem a bit faster. No bench test, just an impression.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:06 AM

Rick Smith:
The parallel rep said that it has been tested, and if you give it more then 2 gb of ram, or more then 2 cores then it runs really poorly.  

After my previous reply to your post, I thought I would try it again, and this time pay more attention to what happened (still no benchmark test though. I feel that they are not real world, and are only useful for bragging rights)

I have tried two Parallels 5 and XP configurations—2Gb and 4GB RAM. There is hardly any measurable difference in L4  searches. Most of the time it favors the 4GB configuration, but not by much. The overall speed of the application does not seem to be much different. I guess I would say, it does not matter very much.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 4:30 AM

Windows XP 32-bit has 4 GB address space: about 3.3 GB usable for programs.

Windows XP 64-bit has 128 GB memory limit with some 64 bit device driver availability issues.

Various Windows versions have different memory limits:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx

Keep Smiling :)

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 6:31 AM

Just out of curiosity, what does the processor setting (1 or 2 on my Mac) change and why is the suggestion1?  Just trying to understand the process a little bit better.

ETA:  I'm running XP on a 2.4GHz dual core MacBook Pro

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 6:40 AM

Rick Smith:
he said that that 64 bit win 7 runs slower then 32 bit under Parallels.

This is interesting. I chose the 64bit installation. If the 32 is faster, maybe I will add a 32bit VM and see if it is faster.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:07 AM

For what it is worth the Parallels Help file reads

The number of processors. The Processors field allows you to change the number of virtual CPUs that will be used to handle the processes running in the virtual machine. The maximum allowable number of virtual CPUs is automatically calculated by Parallels Desktop. The calculation is based on the number of physical CPUs available to your Mac OS X computer.

Note: It is reasonable to use more than one CPU in your guest OS if you are going to use applications that perform better under multi-core processors.

Multiple processors divide the workload (if the application or OS is optimized for them). Thus, the more processors, the faster things work. Two will definitely be better than one. More than two in Parallels is debatable.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:05 PM

HI Jack, I have not seen it, but is there a wiki page with the VMWare AND/OR Fusion settings on it?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 3:13 PM

Joe Miller:

HI Jack, I have not seen it, but is there a wiki page with the VMWare AND/OR Fusion settings on it?

Donavon posted a page that linked the forum threads about optimizing for Fusion and Parallels. That's all I found.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 12:36 AM

There are a couple of links on the wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Mac#can%27t_be_bothered

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:56 AM

Welcome back Donovan. :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1359
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 6:58 AM

I was having trouble with L4 in Parallels even after trying the things in this thread. I tried splitting my 3 gb in half (1.5 to Parallels and 1.5 to Mac) It made a definite difference, It runs great.... better than 2 to Parallels and 1 to Mac.

Thought this might help someone.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:49 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
better than 2 to Parallels and 1 to Mac.

Your Mac was probably feeling like it was in a strait Jacket with so little room in which to operate. It would probably help greatly if you could add some RAM.

Posts 1359
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:22 PM

JackCaviness:

Mike Tourangeau:
better than 2 to Parallels and 1 to Mac.

Your Mac was probably feeling like it was in a strait Jacket with so little room in which to operate. It would probably help greatly if you could add some RAM.

I was wondering about that.... do you think it would speed up Logos searches any? 

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:45 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
I was wondering about that.... do you think it would speed up Logos searches any? 

I don't know what machine & OS you have, but adding RAM almost always speeds up operations across applications. What version of Windows are you using? If it is a 32 bit OS, it will use up to 4GB (Actually between 3 & 4). Your Mac will run better with more RAM also.

Posts 3
Brian J. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 6:17 AM

John and others thank you for the great suggestions.  Logos 4 is running better than ever!  Hope the Mac version makes things run even more efficiently.

Posts 3
Mitch Fox | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:43 PM

I recently attended a Camp Logos workshop in Las Vegas and purchased the Logos 4 upgrade for PC, hoping to  upgrade from version 3 to version 4 on my Mac using Parallels. When I bought the disc I thought it was unusual to have the Windows 4.0 and the Mac 4.0 Alpha version on the same disc, which may be the problem. Only the Mac 4.0 Alpha version will install on my Macs. I am running Parallels 5.0 with Windows XP. Can you help? Thanks

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:56 AM

MitchFox:
I recently attended a Camp Logos workshop in Las Vegas and purchased the Logos 4 upgrade for PC, hoping to  upgrade from version 3 to version 4 on my Mac using Parallels. When I bought the disc I thought it was unusual to have the Windows 4.0 and the Mac 4.0 Alpha version on the same disc, which may be the problem. Only the Mac 4.0 Alpha version will install on my Macs. I am running Parallels 5.0 with Windows XP. Can you help? Thanks

Mitch

You should only post your questions in one thread. Keep Smiling and I have already responded on the thread you created. Don't  let me discourage you from asking question, just don't cross-post, please.

Posts 18
Ken Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 1:22 PM

Interesting about Win7 64bit versus 32bit. I am running the 64bit version on my 24" iMac that has 4GB of memory. That is as much as it will take.

I have VMware Fusion as well. I am now going to try Parallels 5 and see what happens. I tried it over the weekend and it was pretty sluggish both on the Windows side and REALLY slow on the Mac side.

I found that it was easier for me to run L4 in a separate space full screened.

I'll let you know how the move from 64bit Win7 to 32bit works for speed.

Ken-

Posts 3
Wes Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 3:31 PM

I've install the L4 Alpha on my Mac side.

Is it possible (and/or recommended) to run logos 4 on my pc side but share my books from my  mac side's library. This would save hd space on the pc side. that way the same books wouldn't be in two places? thoughts?

Page 2 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS