Logos prices

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 7
David Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:23 AM

Ironically, i received 2 emails today offering James K.A. Smith's new book Imaging the Kingdom.

Amazon is offering their kindle edition for $12.64.

Logos is offering their edition for $19.95.

Question: why should i pay 57% more?

I could make the same comparison for others.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:30 AM

David Turner:

If you want the Logos integration, with search capability, pop-up verse references, easy to use footnotes, linked cross-references, and easily copyable text, then you should consider the more expensive Logos edition.

If you don't care about those things, buy the Kindle version.  I buy most of my books in Logos for those reasons.  But I buy Kindle books too, and I often find myself frustrated that they don't have the capabilities I described.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:33 AM

Well, David ... probably you'll have to answer your own question, since the book is for you.

For me, there's quite a number of reasons, depending on the book. I do a lot of highlighting, notes, etc. relative to my other books. I also do bunches of searches.  And if I have friends who also enjoy studying together, we can share thoughts etc.

Really, it depends on you.  Higher prices on this and that are not uncommon for consumers ... they choose as they wish.

I get the feeling you want a lower price, right?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:40 AM

EDIT: I had a phone call while composing my post. In the meantime you got two good answers. I will leave my redundant post just in case...

David Turner:

You will have to make that decision for yourself. Some factors you may consider are:

• Logos resources typically include extra tagging and interactive functionality.
  • If you only want to read a resource it may not matter to you to have it available in your Logos library. It does matter to me.
  • Most (not all) books in your Logos library are also available on your mobile devices without extra cost. Kindle apps do enable desktop reading but again, they are not accessible through Logos.
  • Finally, not all books are cheaper on Kindle or Amazon. 

You are the best judge of what works for you.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1919
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:43 AM

The quick answer is: because it's likely that more work goes into the Logos edition. But that is not really satisfying from an economics perspective.

The real answer is: what it's worth to individuals. We often make the mistake of placing too much weight on what it costs to produce a product, when the deciding factor is the utility that the consumer derives from the product. I will, almost without exception, derive more usefulness from a Logos edition than from a Kindle edition, and I have many of both.

Our tendency as a culture (not specifically you, David, as an individual) is to react to the price of something because we think the seller is making too much profit. This is, I think, a form of covetousness, and I am the chief of sinners.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:42 PM

David, in addition to the points made, there is no harm in an email or call to Logos asking if they have an even more special price for you:)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS