LogosProg is getting slower and slower

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 190
Thomas Ehlert | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:59 AM

Logos 5 is much more time wasting than time saving. Getting results and clicking menus is'nt quick but boring

I would suggest to investigate not in new features but in making the prog-code smooth and fast. This would be so helpful and would free me from waiting and waiting and waiting....

What's your experience, folks?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:04 AM

Welcome Big Smile

Wiki =>  http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos includes a number of Tips and links.

Having less open is more responsive plus can use right click OR click "+" to quickly open more item(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:17 AM

Thomas Ehlert:

Logos 5 is much more time wasting than time saving. Getting results and clicking menus is'nt quick but boring

I would suggest to investigate not in new features but in making the prog-code smooth and fast. This would be so helpful and would free me from waiting and waiting and waiting....

What's your experience, folks?

Mine is very fast, but I also have a fast computer.  What are the specs for the computer that you are running Logos on?  Do you find certain things slow, like searches, or is everything slow?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 916
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:18 AM

The default setup can be made slow by having many files of Notes. Notes are referenced by default by every Bible and commentary that is open. I typically have several Bibles (English, Spanish, Greek, and Hebrew) and 6-10 commentaries open at all times. When these try to stay in sync with 60 files of Notes, it takes awhile. The cure is to turn off Notes in each book's Visual Filter for all except one Bible.

If this sounds like something you would like to do, and if you need the steps to do so, please let me know.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:28 AM

Well, there you go, Thomas. It's your computer. And stop using the Logos features. Done.

But I agree with you, though I suspect the issue is relative to each person's software use.  I operate with 3 Bible software programs open and in use. The reason is that it's just faster. Most Logos people interpret 'faster' as 'responsiveness' (that being the most recent issue). I don't ... I measure it in terms of literal use.

Take for example 'search'. I'd say I do a search probably 5-6 times per study session. Almost always, I run into something and I want to see how wide-spread it is, or if it has a dating pattern (early / late). I almost always use my own software, even though it uses a hard search (words not indexed). Why? Because I can attach a note to all the 'finds' quickly. Logos?  I'd say maybe 10 minutes of manipulation ... maybe.

I've only recently looked at the Passage Guide, though I've had it maybe 7 years. Why? Because in Libronix and even worse in Logos, you can't mouse over the commentaries; you have to open them (which in Logos4/5 is a disaster).  So instead I use a work-around in Libronix.  Now oddly, Logos has ANOTHER tool which does have a mouseover (Explorer) but then it's got even more issues.

On the exegetical guide, I like to see all my lexicons quickly and then mouse or expand as needed. Librionix does that quickly; Logos4/5 demands a series of pagings. So I use Libronix for that.

I do a lot of copying, almost always snippits. Most often from searches. But not in Logos4/5; have to use Libronix. Interestingly, I often do the initial search in Logos and switch to Libronix for the copying.

I was reading (in Libronix) at the Wendy's and saw a location I didn't know where it was located. So I switched over to Logos Bible Facts and typed in the location ... it had it, along with 9 or 10 maps. Great! I clicked on a map ... but no clue where on the map the location was. No highlighting, centering, something? So then I used the 'Find'. As I was typing in the text (again!), the map was moving back and forth, left and right, like some sort of Atari game 30 years ago. But it DID have it, after quite a bit of work.  Then I selected another map. Guess what ... start over again with the Atari routine.

The list goes on. I'd just like some SPEED.  (And computer responsiveness shouldn't even be a subject of discussion.)

But again, it's each person's study habits.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:13 AM

DMB:
Well, there you go, Thomas. It's your computer. And stop using the Logos features. Done.

I think that it is certainly fair to ask exactly what he is finding slow, and what the computer specs are.  If he is using an old computer then it could be a problem, but it is also possible that something could be fixed.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:25 AM

I was just curious, so I ran two exegetical guides; one from Libronix, and the other from Logos4/5. It's very interesting from the standpoint of studying. Here's a side by side below. I had to make the Logos4/5 view font really small just so at least two words could show up in the 'Word by Word' section.

If you look at the re-design, the new one has snippits from the lexicons (top 3); Libronix has no snippits. But snippits here are meaningless. Here (unlike the Passage Guide) you can mouseover the lexicon in Logos4/5; in Libronix you click on the '+' and it expands. I like that because often I just need a quick copy (no can do in Logos4/5 ... it whacks your layout).

Plus you'll notice the usage graphs all lined up for you in Libronix; none in Logos4/5 (instead use BWS one by one ... have fun).

You'll also notice Libronix is easier on the eyes. That's because there so much wasted space in Logos4/5 that you either set the fonts small or page a lot.

And one last thing ... look at the morph tags (here the first word):

Libronix: verb, piel, active, suffixed (perfect) sequential, singular, common, first person                                     (I copied/pasted)
Logos4/5: verb, verb, piel, perfect,first person, singular, Pi''el, perfect, first person, unknown, singular           (I can't copy; I had to type this in)

Now I ask you ... what exactly does the 2nd line mean??  In defense of Logos4/5, it DOES have a little '+' sign for other morph sequences; Libronix doesn't. But Libronix ALSO does a nice lookup for you on each tag.  So for 'suffixed sequential' it gives you an explanation and examples. Logos4/5 simply repeats the word in the mouseover.

Now, remember, the same company wrote both examples above.  I vote for the second one: it's pretty!

Posts 1516
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:29 AM

I have i7 PC with Solid State drive, I never have any problem Paradise

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:32 AM

Fast and slow is relative.  It would be helpful if possible if a min or 2 youtube video was linked to from both the Fast crowd and slow crowd.

I have an i7 8gb with a ssd laptop on a clean install and I think things are slow when default layout is open.  But that might be fast for others.

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:51 AM

Wow,  that's really clever of You, DMB! I admire You. Once upon a time I tried to learn C++ programming, so I know it's an achievement if someone makes a functioning software:

DMB:
Take for example 'search'. I'd say I do a search probably 5-6 times per study session. Almost always, I run into something and I want to see how wide-spread it is, or if it has a dating pattern (early / late). I almost always use my own software, even though it uses a hard search (words not indexed). Why? Because I can attach a note to all the 'finds' quickly. Logos?  I'd say maybe 10 minutes of manipulation ... maybe.

I have a slow Intel Core 2 Duo (2009 WIndows 7 laptop), 83 GB SSD + an external <250 GB HDD 7200 rpm and no major speed issues. 4 GB RAM which seems enough, virtual memory set to 16 MB, temporary files set to the HDD. I have ~900 books but hiding more and more of them (I have intense studies right now so I haven't had time to hide many recently). Others might experience my setup as slow. But the delays don't bother me. I use the library-button a lot right now.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 12

Posts 2438
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:03 AM

I also have an i7 with 8GB ram and an ssd, and generally everything is fast.  My problem is that I have slow refresh from tab to tab.  For instance, in a tabbed group, when I click on another tab, it doesn't immediately go to the selected tab.  If I click again outside of the tab, it will then force a refresh and open.  I know that my problem has to do with running 3 monitors, because I have tested it multiple ways.

That is why more information is always helpful.

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:47 AM

So I did a quick 2 min video so others can compare their speed with what I uploaded so we can have a better understanding of what fast and slow means to people.  While I said I think it's slow, I mean that it's not instant.  I believe Logos 5 is fast for what it does.  Especially when I have 5 Bibles and 1 Commentary and Text Comparison all on the same Link set.  The video starts with my Laptop's specs so others can compare. 

Here is a link to my video:

http://youtu.be/INLeJwch6XI

If you want to make your own video of your PC screen for free to upload see this link:

http://technofyi.com/2013/01/05/how-to-record-your-pcs-screen-in-hd-for-free/

Posts 2041
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:58 AM

I don't have internet (nor antivirus yet) and this place closes right now so I can't record and upload a vid, plus I only have a built-in cam and don't know how to screencapture. My setup is ~2½ times slower.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 12

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:55 AM

I'm apparently similar to Joseph (i7/8g/SSD). But watching Xegesis's video and repeating the steps, it's almost an exact match. I was surprised at the little 'stars'; I'd forgotten I had turned them off.

Regarding tab performance, mine are pretty instant. That's on a ~90 resource layout with 5 windows and typically 4-5 tabs per pane.

But as Jack discusses above, I don't have any notes, highlights, etc in my Logos5. So that may be the issue for slow tab performance?

Posts 67
Jeff Hetrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:01 PM

Will you please clarify - you are making reference to Libronix as well as Logos 4 and Logos 5 but I only see picture for two programs.  which picture is showing for Logos, versin 4 or version 5?  Thanks!

Posts 2645
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:09 PM

Xegesis,

Kudos to you for closing all the tabs in the PG and EG and only opening those you want to use. If you recall Logos defaults to having everything open. Perhaps this is to show new users all the features, but it can slow things down greatly. Also, you used pericopes, new users sometimes will enter Genesis into the go box and it will take the text comparison box and word by word in the EG a long time to populate. A few defaults that can cause problems for new users. Perhaps these are some of the issues the OP can remedy, perhaps these are not the issues. The key to Logos, especially the default layout is to manage it by closing tabs and not entering large sections of text.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:01 PM

Jeff ... Libronix is on the left; Logos5 is on the right.

I typically use 'Logos4/5' where the feature set displayed is the same (although I don't know 'why' it's the same, since my Logos5 has sense/roots too).

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2013 10:04 AM

Xegesis:
So I did a quick 2 min video so others can compare their speed with what I uploaded so we can have a better understanding of what fast and slow means to people.  While I said I think it's slow, I mean that it's not instant.  I believe Logos 5 is fast for what it does.  Especially when I have 5 Bibles and 1 Commentary

Thank you very much!            Quite helpful!     *smile*                                            Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 3792
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2013 5:03 PM

just did the minimal upgrade. Not slow at all. Glad to see the Topics search back.

mm.

Posts 24
Michael John Nisbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2013 7:21 PM

I have an i3 machine with 6gig of memory and it sometimes takes 5 minutes to get to the main screen and another 2 to populate the main screen itself. I have to go do something else and come back to see if it finally loaded.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS