Gold vs Platinum: Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, with Morphology

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:25 AM

Comparing the Gold vs the Platinum package of Logos 5, I came across what to me is a significant difference: Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, with Morphology

Trouble is: NA28 is not available as a standalone product at all! Is this some kind of marketing gimmick to push researchers into the Platinum package?

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:15 AM

Actually it's not a Logos gimmick. Any one of our german Logos users (NB for example) will tell you the German Bible Society always insists any new NA/UBS versions be 'above' gold. So when Logos re-did the packages, they really had no choice. Initially they made the starter package 'gold' but realized just how angry users might be.

Smile.

But think on the bright side. If you consider each succession of NA/UBS as closer to God's eternal word (and therefore previous versions 'not'), then those with gold and below won't have access to God's eternal word (at least every word of it anyway).

That should be pretty obvious.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:23 AM

Sorry if I come across as arrogant but the Deustchebibelgesellschaft's condition sounds totally stupid and interventionist.

Surely NA28 should be available as a product and packaged accordingly, if not available for Gold users.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:29 AM

Having said that, I don't totally buy that DBS story, because I think Logos can surely negotiate some kind of product at a suitable price point.

Just think of the substantive difference between Gold and Platinum... and the price difference.

This policy of excluding NA28 is nonsense. Totally nonsense.

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:29 AM

Lee, I agree with you. And you're not arrogant; it's an honest question that I can not remotely see an answer for.  And I was joking about GBS; NB's going to 'can' me.

Luckily I'm a Byz-lady! (Though 'Byz' <> KJV; that's another discussion).

Posts 9969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:58 AM

Lee,

i think you fell for DMB's (as of lately very tongue-in-cheek style of) posting, which was covering the sad area of licences from German Bible Society under a thick layer of humor - probably because this might be the only way to look at it without falling into despair.

That said, of course she is right on the basics. Logos have to get a licence to include GBS material into their offering. And I think you are wrong here:

Lee:
I think Logos can surely negotiate some kind of product at a suitable price point.

No they can't. Logos is the flagship of bible software, but it has some heavy competition - and: bible software is still a small market as compared to the religious section of the printed book market. 

So we see publishers all around that

• don't give licences to bible software companies at all
  • give licences only to some, but not all bible software companies
  • give to other bible software better conditions than to Logos
  • try to do their own "bible software" and don't give licences (or only at bad conditions) to strong "competitors"
  • wait with giving licences until they sold a certain amount of paper books

So generally speaking, Logos not always gets the contracts they want - much less those we want. Regarding NA28 I'm not privy to any details in licencing it, but I know that GBS want to sell their own printed as well as electronic stuff, thus I'm happy we have it at all in Logos. It may well be that the contract stipulates a certain licence fee to GBS that Logos couldn't get into the internal calculation for Gold package.

I expect NA28 to become available outside of Platinum (or Verbum Master, which also contains it) - maybe first in an updated edition of the GBS package. But on the other hand, GBS have shown to be very reluctant with licences, and I think there was never a standalone version of the NA27 apparatus, for example.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:00 AM

DMB:
I was joking about GBS

I knew you were, but you needn't tell Lee while I'm typing my elaborate version of "I don't know either" Wink

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 12:10 PM

Lee I have been looking at upgrading as well.  Currently I have the Scholars Library.  For me it makes sense to move to Platinum rather than Gold.  The difference in price isn't really that great and I think that I will use enough of the volumes in the Platinum package to make it worth the investment.  The move up to Diamond is significantly more so I think I will be content with the Platinum package unless someone can convince me otherwise.  I will be making this upgrade this week while the reduced prices are still in effect.  With the discounts I think it makes sense to move up as much as you can in the base packages even if you have to go with a payment plan.

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 12:19 PM

OK ... NB  ... I deserve a bit of a whack on the head.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 12:43 PM

NB.Mick:
But on the other hand, GBS have shown to be very reluctant with licences, and I think there was never a standalone version of the NA27 apparatus, for example.  

Very recently, within the past year, it was unbundled. https://www.logos.com/product/17655/na27-with-critical-apparatus. However, with a price nearly half of what the "student bundle" (NA27, UBS4, BHS with apparatuses and more) it made very little sense to buy it on its own.

Posts 9969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 2:16 PM

Kevin Becker:
Very recently, within the past year, it was unbundled. https://www.logos.com/product/17655/na27-with-critical-apparatus.

Thanks, Kevin. 

I think I knew that before, but forgot about that. Many people will be contetn with NA27 instead of NA28, since the difference is small (some verses in the APstoral epistles, if I'm not mistaken) and most modern bibles are based upon NA27 anyway.  

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 5:30 PM

My perspective on this Gold vs Platinum issue is:

* NA28 is the only real major difference between the two.

* The price difference is very substantial, considering the fact that Platinum is only Gold+ NA28 and some other material I would never look at, much less use.

And the nub, NA28 with or without morphology is not even available as a standalone product.

Thus, I cannot comprehend such a move, unless this move is meant as some marketing device to entice users to move up to Platinum. Not sensible, in my view.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:17 PM

NB.Mick:

I think I knew that before, but forgot about that. Many people will be contetn with NA27 instead of NA28, since the difference is small (some verses in the APstoral epistles, if I'm not mistaken) and most modern bibles are based upon NA27 anyway.  

You make a valid point. I'm very content with the NA27. I can't see a practical reason why I'd need to upgrade to the 28th edition anytime soon.

And as such, I believe that the new Gold package is a much better value than the new Platinum package - in terms of practical use (unless you really hunger to own the few extra commentary sets that Gold does not have - e.g. Lenski). As someone who currently owns the old Platinum package, I can't see myself upgrading to anything other than the new Gold.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 9:02 AM

Lee:
And the nub, NA28 with or without morphology is not even available as a standalone product.

It is now: Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, with Critical Apparatus.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:51 PM

Actually, Logos could consider also putting out the NA28 text (without the Critical Apparatus) which is what seems to be bundled in Verbum Master etc.

Then we will have parity in terms of users' product options.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS