Books on Christian inheritance

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1541
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 27 2013 7:23 PM

I am looking for books that deal with the subject of Christian inheritance. Something that focus' on who we are in Christ, what we are predestined for. I am working on a project that teaches a new Christian who they are, and what God has called them to be. This is the best I can explain what type of info I am looking for. I am not sure how even to go about searching this in logos.

Posts 33257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 7:28 PM

Sounds to me like you need to read St. John Climacus.Smile And to think it's traditional reading in Lent.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1541
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 7:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

Sounds to me like you need to read St. John Climacus.Smile And to think it's traditional reading in Lent.Wink

Would it be in something I already have, if not where do I get it?

Posts 33257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:16 PM

http://www.stminahamilton.ca/download/Books/Various%20Authors%20-%20Early%20Fathers/Ladder%20of%20Divine%20Ascent%20-%20St.%20John%20Climacus.pdf

This is a church father read annually in the Orthodox community.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:47 PM

Blair Laird:

MJ. Smith:

Would it be in something I already have, if not where do I get it?

John Climacus The Ladder of Divine Ascent is not currently available in Logos. They should get it!

EDIT: Incidentally, it's also available here (in a different translation): http://www.prudencetrue.com/images/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf

Posts 1843
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:50 AM

Blair Laird:

I am looking for books that deal with the subject of Christian inheritance. Something that focus' on who we are in Christ, what we are predestined for. I am working on a project that teaches a new Christian who they are, and what God has called them to be. This is the best I can explain what type of info I am looking for. I am not sure how even to go about searching this in logos.

I like the 20th Century Swedish Novel, The Hammer of God, available at Vyrso (in English) at http://vyrso.com/product/20953/the-hammer-of-god-revised-edtion .

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:53 AM

I saw http://vyrso.com/product/22910/who-do-you-think-you-are-finding-your-true-identity-in-christ advertised recently.

I know nothing about the book but, from its description, it may have some relevant insights.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:37 AM

Blair Laird:

Something that focus' on who we are in Christ, what we are predestined for.

Hi Blair!

One of the best discourses on "IN CHRIST" is found in the first 3 chapters of Paul's Letter to the Ephesians. Using LOGOS to develop a good exegetical summary for what you need is a great starting point. You could practically write your own book to meet your needs! I don't have the time at the moment to link to the following, but all are in LOGOS. The bits and pieces that you can pull out of most of these resources are real jewels.

Adams, Jay Edward. The Christian Counselor's Manual. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1973.

_______________. A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption. Grand Rapids, MI: Ministry Resource Library, 1986.

Adeyemo, Tokunboh. Africa Bible Commentary. Nairobi, Kenya; Grand Rapids, MI: WordAlive Publishers; Zondervan, 2006.

Ainslie, Peter. Among the Gospels and the Acts Being Notes and Comments Covering the Life of Christ in the Flesh, and the First Thirty Years' History of His Church. Baltimore: Temple Seminary Press, 1908.

Akers, John N., John H. Armstrong, and John D. Woodbridge. This We Believe: The Good News of Jesus Christ for the World. Electronic ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 2000.

Arnold, Clinton E. Ephesians. Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2010.

Arthur, J. Philip. Christ All-Sufficient: Colossians  and Philemon Simply Explained. Welwyn Commentary Series. Darlington, England: Evangelical Press, 2007.

Baker, William R. 2 Corinthians. The College Press NIV Commentary. Joplin, MO: College Press Pub., 1999.

Barclay, William. The Letters to the Ga. and Ephesians. The New Daily Study Bible. Louisville, KY; London: Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.

Barker, Kenneth L. Expositor’s Bible Commentary (Abridged Edition: New Testament). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1994.

Bartel, LeRoy. Prison Epistles: Colossians, Philemon, Ephesians, and Philippians: An Independent-Study Textbook. Third Edition. Springfield, MO: Global University, 2010.

Berkouwer, G. C. Divine Election. Studies in Dogmatics. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1960.

Boice, James Montgomery. The Gospel of John: An Expositional Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2005.

Boles, Kenneth L. Ga. & Ephesians. The College Press NIV Commentary. Joplin, MO: College Press, 1993.

Bruce, F. F. The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1984.

Calvin, John, and William Pringle. Commentary on the Gospel According to John. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2010.

_______________. Commentaries on the Epistles of Paul to the Ga. and Ephesians. Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2010.

_______________ (ad loc.), The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to the Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians.  (1548), E.T. Edinburgh, 1965.

Chafer, Lewis Sperry. The Ephesian Letter. Findlay, Ohio: Dunham Publishing Company, 1935.

_______________. Systematic Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1993.

Connelly, Douglas. The Bible for Blockheads: A User-Friendly Look at the Good Book. Rev. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2007.

Deane-Drummond, Celia. Brave New World?: Theology, Ethics, and the Human Genome. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2003.

Dusing, Michael L. "The New Testament Church". In Systematic Theology: Revised Edition, edited by Stanley M. Horton. Springfield, MO: Logion Press, 2007.

Edwards, M. J. Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture NT 8. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999.

Elwell, Walter A., and Barry J. Beitzel. Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1988.

Elwell, Walter A., and Philip Wesley Comfort. Tyndale Bible Dictionary. Tyndale Reference Library. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2001.

Erickson, Millard J. The Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology. Rev. ed., 1st Crossway ed. Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books, 2001.

Fee, Gordon D. God’s Empowering Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Letters of Paul. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1994.

Foulkes, Francis. Vol. 10, Ephesians: An Introduction and Commentary, Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, 49 (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1989).

Gaebelein, Arno C. The Annotated Bible, Volume 7: Romans to Ephesians. Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009.

Gaebelein, Frank E. The Expositor's Bible Commentary, Volume 1: Introductory Articles. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1979.

Gangel, Kenneth O., and Jim Wilhoit. The Christian Educator's Handbook on Spiritual Formation. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1994.

Gingrich, Roy E. The Book of Ephesians. Memphis, TN: Riverside Printing, 1997.

_______________. The Book of Galatians. Memphis, TN: Riverside Printing, 2005.

Grudem, Wayne A. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House, 2004.

_______________. Vol. 17, 1 Peter: An Introduction and Commentary. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1988.

Hawthorne, Gerald F., Ralph P. Martin, and Daniel G. Reid. Dictionary of Paul and His Letters. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993.

Hillyer, Norman. New International Biblical Commentary: 1 and 2 Peter, Jude. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1992.

Horton, Michael. The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011.

Hunt, June. Biblical Counseling Keys on Identity: Who Are You? Do You Know Who You Really Are?. Dallas, TX: Hope For The Heart, 2008.

Hunter, Sylvester Joseph. Outlines of Dogmatic Theology. Third Edition. New York: Benzinger Brothers, 1896.

Jamieson, Robert, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown. Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997.

Joseph, Oscar L. The Expositor’s Bible, Volume 5: Luke to Galatians. Edited by W. Robertson Nicoll. Expositor’s Bible. Hartford, CT: S.S. Scranton Co., 1903.

Keener, Craig S., and InterVarsity Press. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993.

Kendall, R. T. Understanding Theology, Volume One. Ross-shire, Great Britain: Christian Focus, 1996.

Kistemaker, Simon J., and William Hendriksen. Vol. 18, Exposition of the First Epistle to the Corinthians. New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953-2001.

_______________. Vol. 12-13, Exposition of Paul's Epistle to the Romans. New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953-2001.

Kittel, Gerhard and Gerhard Friedrich, eds. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, abridged. Trans. Geoffrey W. Bromiley. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1985.

Lange, John Peter, Philip Schaff, and J. J. van Oosterzee. A Commentary on the Holy Scriptures: 1 & 2 Timothy. Translated by E. A. Washburn and E. Harwood. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2008.

Lincoln, Andrew T. Vol. 42, Ephesians. Word Biblical Commentary. Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1990.

MacArthur, John F., Jr. Ashamed of the Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 1993.

_______________. Ephesians. MacArthur New Testament Commentary. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986.

_______________. Ephesians: Our Immeasurable Blessings in Christ. MacArthur Bible Studies. Nashville, TN: W Publishing Group, 2000.

MacDonald, William. Believer’s Bible Commentary: Old and New Testaments. Edited by Arthur Farstad. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1995.

MacEvilly, John. An Exposition of the Epistles of St. Paul and of the Catholic Epistles, Volume 1. Dublin; New York: M. H. Gill & Son; Benziger Brothers, 1898.

Mohrlang, Roger, and Gerald L. Borchert. Cornerstone Biblical Commentary, Vol 14: Romans and Galatians. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2007.

Morris, Leon. Vol. 7, 1 Corinthians: An Introduction and Commentary. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1985.

Moule, H. C. G. The Epistle to the Ephesians, With Introduction and Notes. The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1891.

Mounce, William D. Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006.

Murray, John. Redemption Accomplished and Applied. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1955.

Neufeld, Thomas R. Yoder. Ephesians. Believers Church Bible Commentary. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2001.

Olyott, Stuart. Alive in Christ: Ephesians Simply Explained. Welwyn Commentary Series. Darlington,   England: Evangelical Press, 1994.

Packer, J. I. Concise Theology: A Guide to Historic Christian Beliefs. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House, 1993.

Patzia, Arthur G. New International Biblical Commentary: Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1990.

Pink, Arthur Walkington. The Arthur Pink Anthology. Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2005.

_______________. Comfort for Christians. Bellingham, WA.: Logos Research System, Inc., 2005.

Radmacher, Earl D., Ronald Barclay Allen, and H. Wayne House. The Nelson Study Bible: New King James Version. Nashville: T. Nelson Publishers, 1997.

Rushdoony, Rousas John. Systematic Theology in Two Volumes: Volume I. Vallecito, CA: Ross House Books, 1994.

Ryle, J. C. Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties and Roots. London: William Hunt and Company, 1889.

Simeon, Charles. Horae Homileticae Vol. 18: Philippians to 1 Timothy. London: Holdsworth and Ball, 1833.

Simons, Menno. The Complete Works of Menno Simon, Volume 2. Elkhart, IN: John F. Funk & Brother, 1871.

Soanes, Catherine, and Angus Stevenson. Concise Oxford English Dictionary. 11th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004.

Stedman, Ray C., and James D. Denney. Adventuring Through the Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Entire Bible. Discovery House, 1997.

Stott, John R. W. God's New Society: The Message of Ephesians. The Bible Speaks Today. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1979.

Toews, John E. Romans. Believers Church Bible Commentary. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2004.

Torrey, R. A., Charles Lee Feinberg, and Warren W. Wiersbe. The Fundamentals: The Famous Sourcebook of Foundational Biblical Truths. Public Domain.

Vine, W. E. Collected Writings of W.E. Vine. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1996.

Walvoord, John F., Roy B. Zuck, and Dallas Theological Seminary. The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985.

Webber, Robert. Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1999.

_______________. Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2004.

_______________. Vol. 1, The Biblical Foundations of Christian Worship. 1st ed. The Complete Library of Christian Worship. Nashville, TN: Star Song Pub. Group, 1993.

_______________. Vol. 2, Twenty Centuries of Christian Worship. The Complete Library of Christian Worship. Nashville, TN: Star Song Pub. Group, 1994.

Whitlock, Luder G., R. C. Sproul, Bruce K. Waltke, and Moisš Silva. Reformation Study Bible, the: Bringing the Light of the Reformation to Scripture : New King James Version. Nashville: T. Nelson, 1995.

Wiersbe, Warren W. The Bible Exposition Commentary. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1996.

________________. Wiersbe’s Expository Outlines on the New Testament. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1992.

Wood, A. Skevington. Ephesians. In The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, vol. 11, ed. Frank E. Gaebelein. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1978.

Wright, Christopher J. H. The God I Don’t Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2008.

Zuck, Roy B. A Biblical Theology of the New Testament. electronic ed. Chicago: Moody Press, 1994.

Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible. Edited by Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Craig G. Bartholomew, Daniel J. Treier and N. T. Wright. London; Grand Rapids, MI: SPCK; Baker Academic, 2005.

The Pulpit Commentary: Ephesians. Edited by H. D. M. Spence-Jones. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2004.

Spirit Filled Life Study Bible. Edited by Jack W. Hayford. electronic ed. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1997.

Systematic Theology: Revised Edition. Edited by Stanley M. Horton. Springfield, MO: Logion Press, 2007.

The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians. (J. O. F. Murray, Ed.). Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1914.

The Teacher's Bible Commentary. Edited by Franklin H. Paschall and Herschel H. Hobbs. Nashville: Broadman and Holman Publishers, 1972.

Enjoy!

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:48 AM

Ken McGuire:
I like the 20th Century Swedish Novel, The Hammer of God, available at Vyrso (in English) at http://vyrso.com/product/20953/the-hammer-of-god-revised-edtion .

Thanks for your insight here, Ken!       About two months ago or so I was introduced to this book and am grateful for this "epic work."!             *smile*                Great Glimpses into the heart and core of our relationship with God through our Lord Jesus Christ!          Great book!    

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS