Hermeneia Upgrade (Luke)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1038
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 1:35 PM

http://www.logos.com/product/29869/hermeneia-upgrade-3 contains the third volume of the Hermeneia Luke commentary to supplement the first volume in the main set but what has happened to the second volume?

The latest upgrade says that "This volume completes the three-volume work " but what has happened to the second volume?

Posts 19579
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 1:39 PM

Good question. That line is from the print edition's book description. See Amazon. I have no idea why Logos is getting around to producing volume 3 before volume 2.

Posts 35
Gerard Shanley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:58 PM

Beat me to it- where is Luke 2?

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:30 PM

I don't think Volume 2 (the middle portion of Luke) has been completed yet, has it? I've been keeping an eye on Bovon for a while now, and I don't remember hearing anything about Volume 2.

Posts 19579
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 4:58 PM

Adam Rao:

I don't think Volume 2 (the middle portion of Luke) has been completed yet, has it? I've been keeping an eye on Bovon for a while now, and I don't remember hearing anything about Volume 2.

Ah yes, you're right. I had found it in a search on Amazon but neglected to click through to that volume and see that it is indeed not released yet. Only available for pre-order: http://amzn.com/0800697596

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:02 PM

Here's the info on Volume 2 from the publisher's site:

Says it will be released in April. Since Vol 3 was released in November, it would really make a lot of sense for Logos to bundle 2 and 3 together and bundle the 2 OT volumes together. I would like the two volumes on Luke but don't want the other two now bundled with volume 3.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:44 PM

Thanks Mark.  Indeed I had wondered what vol 2 might include, when I signed up for volume 3.

And VERY good suggestion. I was having a little trouble with 2 Chronicles.  

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:52 PM

DMB:
And VERY good suggestion.

No use unless someone from Logos looks in and makes the change. But you never know.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19579
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:31 PM

Mark Smith:

DMB:
And VERY good suggestion.

No use unless someone from Logos looks in and makes the change. But you never know.

I have emailed Phil Gons to ask him to look into it and gave him a link to this thread.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:06 AM

It'd be great to see the second volume of Hossfeld & Zenger, Psalms 101-150 bundled with Klein's 2 Chronicles and the two remaining volumes of Bovon on Luke. I want, and will, buy all four, probably regardless of how they're packaged, but pulling these four together would make a lot of sense.

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:38 PM

Logos should NOT bundle the commentaries on the Apocrypha with the Protestant canonical literature.

As it is, Upgrade 2 forces Protestants to buy a commentary on the second part of Enoch if they want the Psalm 3 volume, and Hermeneia Upgrade 3 forces Protestants to buy a commentary on 2 Maccabees to get the commentaries on Luke 3 and 2 Chronicles.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:09 PM

Gee. I'm protestant and wanted Maccabees but not 2 Chronicles with my Luke 3. There's quite a bit of back-references to Maccabees when studying the NT canon.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 19579
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:05 PM

DMB:

Gee. I'm protestant and wanted Maccabees but not 2 Chronicles with my Luke 3. There's quite a bit of back-references to Maccabees when studying the NT canon.

Well, this would all be a moot point if they'd unbundle the series and let people pick and choose which volumes they wanted, perhaps offering a deal of a certain percent off depending on how many volumes you buy all at once -- the more you buy the cheaper each one is.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:26 PM

I don't mind having the Apocryphal volumes - that wasn't why I made the suggestion I did. Indeed, I gladly purchased Continental / Hermeneia with all the various commentaries therein that cover texts other than the Protestant canon. My point was that I just think there's a far better chance of me using the canonical volumes in my work, so, frankly, that's what I'd like to be paying for. And, preferably, the Apocryphal volumes would be "thrown in" just for fun! Big Smile

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:45 PM

elnwood:

Logos should NOT bundle the commentaries on the Apocrypha with the Protestant canonical literature.

Then don't buy it, it is published by a Lutheran Publishing house and we have historically used the Apocrypha as important edifying intertestamental literature.

-Dan 

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 1:08 AM

Dan Francis:

Then don't buy it, it is published by a Lutheran Publishing house and we have historically used the Apocrypha as important edifying intertestamental literature.

-Dan 

That's the point. If I want Psalm vol. 3 or Luke vol. 3, "don't buy it" regarding commentaries on the Apocrypha isn't even an option.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:47 AM

Elnwood you do NOT speak for all Protestants when wanting to avoid the Apocrypha.

The original editions of the KJV included the Apocrypha.

If you have never read Maccabees then you are missing out on Jewish history, including what the people were expecting of a Messiah in a repeat of that earlier revolt against an occupying power as part of the restoration of the kingdom.  Maccabees contains important historical background information.

Hermeneia has always included volumes on a significant number of books not included in the Old and New Testaments.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 6:17 AM

elnwood:

Dan Francis:

-Dan 

That's the point. If I want Psalm vol. 3 or Luke vol. 3, "don't buy it" regarding commentaries on the Apocrypha isn't even an option.

The point I was making is the publisher and historically the Lutheran Church has valued the Apocrypha and perhaps the series isn't going to be right for you if you… But I will say in general every set should be available per volume to allow you to get exactly what you want. But historically that is not how Logos has worked.

-Dan

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:14 AM

Rosie Perera:
Well, this would all be a moot point if they'd unbundle the series and let people pick and choose which volumes they wanted, perhaps offering a deal of a certain percent off depending on how many volumes you buy all at once -- the more you buy the cheaper each one is.

I wonder how many I would need to buy to get it free?  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 12:03 PM

David J. Wilson:

Elnwood you do NOT speak for all Protestants when wanting to avoid the Apocrypha.

The original editions of the KJV included the Apocrypha.

If you have never read Maccabees then you are missing out on Jewish history, including what the people were expecting of a Messiah in a repeat of that earlier revolt against an occupying power as part of the restoration of the kingdom.  Maccabees contains important historical background information.

Hermeneia has always included volumes on a significant number of books not included in the Old and New Testaments.

David, I know I don't speak for all Protestants, and I never claimed that I did. And I don't avoid the Apocrypha. I have the Apocrypha in several editions, both in Logos and in print, including the KJV that you mentioned.

I simply want to avoid buying an expensive commentary on it that I won't use. Does that seem too much to ask?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS