LOGOS 5 Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25
rkponder | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 4 2013 7:45 AM

Hey guys I need some help.  Honest opinions from users (not logos staff) needed. Is it worth the upgrade cost? I just paid off my original library in December and have only been a user for about 14 months. It would cost me about $270 to upgrade at the same package I have now. Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Posts 21478
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 7:58 AM

My first recommendation is not to worry about upgrading to "the same level" but to look at what the various packages provide and see which are of value to you.

if you want additional resources, and the ones in the packages would be valuable to you then that's the way to go.

if you are inteeresd in some of the new features - but not looking for new resources - then either the Core Datasets or Minimal Crossgrade may be the right option for you.

if you just want the updated Logos 5 engine then this should be available for free sometime this quarter.

personally I find some of the enhanced data sets, some of the UI enhancements and some of the additional resources I obtained made it a very worthwhile purchase for me but it all depends on what you are looking for.

Hope this helps a little

Graham

Posts 1919
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 8:05 AM

Just remember that no matter which package you pick, you will not lose any of the resources that you currently have, so don't think that you have to pick the same level so that you can keep resources.  You own what you own, so just look at what would be new to you in each package, and disregard the package names.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:01 AM

Graham Criddle:

My first recommendation is not to worry about upgrading to "the same level" but to look at what the various packages provide and see which are of value to you.

Graham

I wholeheartedly agree with Graham.

1) Look at the resources and see if they are valuable to you and add to you what you value. then either go for it or pass...2) Another strategy is to go for the highest package you can afford because of the amount of resources you receive...I tend towards the first strategy. i.e. So if platinum is £100 more than gold but you don't like the extra resources in plantinum, buy the Gold and save the £100. Then you use it on resources that you actually REALLY want or just keep the money...I've only been around for only a year but there always seems to be a good sale going on if you look and wait. (although it apparently doesn't get any better than this for the base packages).

btw...I had a higher package in L4 but went lower in L5.

I hope that helps.

Marcus

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 9803
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:18 AM

rk ... it's hard to tell 'what you got'. But from the limited information (a package, you've scrimped and saved likely, and you like Logos), then the answer's a no-brainer.

As a 'minimum' at least get the Core Datasets ($80) or alternatively the Minimum Crossgrade ($160).  Upgrades if you like them.

Why?

(1) You are going to keep upgrading your software; it won't run on old computers. So it's just a question of 'how'.

(2) The datasets are largely 'original language' stuff but unlike a lot of earlier work by Logos, these favor the 'normal people'. They use the right-click linkage and really show a lot of information that non--scholars really don't deserve (smile).

(3) If you watch the linkage to the Faithlife resources, you'll notice Logos is really putting a lot of work into the integration of the information. Signing on at least to the minimum crossgrade makes you a lucky participant to their sweat and toil.

That's what I did and I'm a very lucky girl.

Posts 2269
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:22 AM

I had L4 Platinum, upgraded to L5 Silver, purchased the Minimal Crossgrade for the Bible Sense Lexicon and I am very satisfied.

Posts 25
rkponder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:45 AM

Hey guys thanks for your input. Think I will purchase the minimum upgrade since I'm happy with the package I've got and just add the BDAG/HALOT bundle to it.

Thanks again

Posts 8891
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:01 AM

rkponder:
and just add the BDAG/HALOT bundle to it

Then don't miss to click the 'Customize' button. It's cheaper from there.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8891
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:01 AM

Deleted. Double posting.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 25
rkponder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:12 PM

DID IT!! Glad there isn't any Monday night football on so I can learn this new animal. Thanks for the advice. FYI, I purchased the Minimum upgrade and added BDAG/HALOT bundle. Cost me a little under $500.

Posts 9803
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:18 PM

Congratulations!! Just in time too!

Posts 42
Naveen Balakrishnan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 5 2013 1:00 PM

rk,

This was the best decision I have ever made when it comes to bible software.  I was a Biblesoft PC Study Bible user for nearly two decades before a friend of mine introduced me to Logos about four years ago.  I can tell you as hesitant as I was about switching, this was a much needed decision.  When Logos 5 came out, I was not really sure till I got to play around with it on someone's else computer and I can tell you it is better than Logos 4.  I upgraded mid November and it has been really good.  I have been a better student of the Word because of it.

In Christ Alone and for His Glory

Naveen B.

2 Timothy 2:15

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS