Help with Personal Book Builder

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 51
www.godinvitesyou.com | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:56 AM

Can someone give me some guidance regarding the Personal Book Builder tool?  I have a seminary paper I wrote in 2006 via Microsoft Word 2003 and have it saved on my computer.  When I try to add it into the book builder tool by clicking "add file" it does not show it.  It says there are no items that match that search.  But I know very well there is.  I am sure I am in the right file where the document is.  Why won't it recognize my Word2003 document?

I am not very computer savvy, so I am sure I am doing something wrong.  Can someone help?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:03 AM

Hey Stephen,

It may be that your word doc is saved with the.doc extension. For book builder you need to make sure that your word doc is saved with the newer .docx extension.

Cliff

Posts 29381
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:04 AM

The first thing to check: the document MUST be in the .docx format... Not the .doc one.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29381
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:06 AM

If you don't have a newer version of office, I'd try a free program like libre office.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 51
www.godinvitesyou.com | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:29 AM

I tried just saving as a .docx but that didn't work either.  I guess I actually need different software.

I could purchase a more recent Microsoft Office software suite but before purchasing...can you suggest how much "newer" it would need to be?  I see there is a 2007, 2010 and 2013 Microsoft Word available (not to mention something called 365).  Do you know if the 2007 will work?  Or does it need to be the 2013?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 11735
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:39 AM

Stephen Walker:

I guess I actually need different software.

I could purchase a more recent Microsoft Office software suite but before purchasing...can you suggest how much "newer" it would need to be?  I see there is a 2007, 2010 and 2013 Microsoft Word available (not to mention something called 365).  Do you know if the 2007 will work?  Or does it need to be the 2013?

The point is that Word used the RTF format up to 2003 (ending *.doc) and switched to XML format (ending *.docx) since 2007. The other version aspects are irrelevant.  However, they issued a free compatibility pack for office (since other software, like Excel, did the same switch to XML) which you can install and which will allow Word 2003 to read and write the *.docx format. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3 So if you don't want to have newer software "just because" or like ribbons over menus, you may save your money for Logos resources :-)

Hope this helps,

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1797
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:45 AM

It has been pointed out that I have released a few PB's to you all.  I use Word 2007, and can say that it DOES work.  But I would try to install the free compatibility pack for Office 2003 if you already have that before buying new.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2784
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2013 5:08 PM

Stephen Walker:

I tried just saving as a .docx but that didn't work either.  I guess I actually need different software.

After you get the free update that others pointed to try a one line docx file just to see if anything works.  There might be an error in your source file

But a one line like the hello world first programs.  try "My first PBB" and call it Dummy. 

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 2:43 AM

this was good i added some pbb today, i was not sure how before.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 74
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:12 AM

For those considering MS Office, Office 15 / 2013 is also able to convert a .PDF to .docx.

I bought Office 2010 in the upgrade-to-2013-for-free period just to get the PDF conversion ability.

I have waited for years for this. All previous attempts / other programs (even Adobe Acrobat) gave unacceptable results.

I am happy with most PDFs I've done. Some do well, others do not. Your mileage will vary.

Simply open a PDF in Word, enable editing, save to .docx, and then in Logos PBB add book, wait for it to compile, and prepare to be happy with the results. [I am on Logos 5 (PC)].

This is pretty good for a 1.0 PDF conversion tool. Improvements are likely to follow.

Shalom and Joy to those who believe in Yahshua our Messiah and Kinsman-Redeemer, and worship Him in spirit and Truth.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS