Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 1:06 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

As for a screen protector, look into ArmorSuit.

Greetings Erwin

Sadly, although I did a Google search, it does not appear to be available over here in the UK. Amazon USA have it but will not ship it to the UK and the manufacturers site have it at a cost greater than the UK Customs limit which would trigger not only import tax but a sizable service charge! Zagg is available here but as you say does have a pronounced orange peel effect.

I have a full rubber suit for my Nexus S which has enabled it to literally bounce when dropped a couple of times but I hope that is over kill for my Nexus 7's usage. I have a portfolio combined holder, stand and cover that seems to be doing its job but I might move to a zipped one for more side protection. Thanks for your thoughts
Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 1:48 PM

Marcus G.:

How much are you paying for 3G and which provider do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi

No problem. Most PAYE for data in the  UK only seem to be £5.00 to £7.50 but the data expires after a month. A really unusual company that has been going since about May 2012 is Samba Mobile http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba who use the 3 network. You have to buy their Sim card (micro sim for Nexus 7) and you top it up by watching adverts by organizations who presumably pay Samba. It sounds crazy and a big con but seems to be working so far. I run the adverts on my PC when listening to something else - my time is too valuable for anything else. Also I use very little data. It only works, apparently, on Firefox or Chrome browsers. 

If I thought that I would use anything like the normal 1 months worth of data during a month I would just buy it like any other normal human being. If you want to give it a try, rather than pay the full £5 sim cost try the code MSE1 but it may have expired by now. Although Samba has been going since about May 2012 I still doubt that the business model will work in the long term. I have got my £1 back in data so until it fails or I get fed up of topping up that way I will probably carry on. I guess that many on the forum will be unhappy with it and they may well be correct in their views.

You can top up with cash at Samba for £5 for 500MB or £3.50 for 250MB. Gif Gaf, who also use 3 network, also sell data at £5 for 500MB. Needless to say both expire their data after 30 days.

regards

John

PS £3.50 for 250MB is beginning to seem a lot less hard work as well as being rather more respectable!!!

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 5 2013 10:11 PM

JohnLBUK:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

As for a screen protector, look into ArmorSuit.

Greetings Erwin

Sadly, although I did a Google search, it does not appear to be available over here in the UK. Amazon USA have it but will not ship it to the UK and the manufacturers site have it at a cost greater than the UK Customs limit which would trigger not only import tax but a sizable service charge! Zagg is available here but as you say does have a pronounced orange peel effect.

I have a full rubber suit for my Nexus S which has enabled it to literally bounce when dropped a couple of times but I hope that is over kill for my Nexus 7's usage. I have a portfolio combined holder, stand and cover that seems to be doing its job but I might move to a zipped one for more side protection. Thanks for your thoughts

Hi John; I don't know so much about international shopping and customs as I have lived in the US all of my life thus far. I now see it is a lot to deal with, even for simple things like a case or screen protector.

You should be ok with the portfolio case and a good quality screen protector. Zagg seems to be the most popular screen protector of its type internationally, but the orange peel is so prominent. At the least, I would go with a good quality rigid protector to hold you over, then spend some time researching the others.

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:56 PM

Does anyone have an update for this thread. I'm in the market for an upgrade and have not made a decision yet.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:29 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Does anyone have an update for this thread. I'm in the market for an upgrade and have not made a decision yet.

Hi Bruce;

I think the one that John selected (Nexus 7) is pretty good. Also, if you are looking for something to replace your phone, tablet, and possibly laptop with one device, check out the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It has a 5.5" display.

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:33 PM

I'm primarily looking for a reader that my wife can use to read Logos resources that I have purchased for her. There is no need to use it as a phone but I might consider using it for some personal study for myself at times.

If I am reading things right the only option to be able to read Hebrew with the correct vowel placement is with Android 4.2. Can someone confirm that is correct?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 704
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:09 AM

JohnLBUK:

Hi

No problem. Most PAYE for data in the  UK only seem to be £5.00 to £7.50 but the data expires after a month. A really unusual company that has been going since about May 2012 is Samba Mobile http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba who use the 3 network. You have to buy their Sim card (micro sim for Nexus 7) and you top it up by watching adverts by organizations who presumably pay Samba. It sounds crazy and a big con but seems to be working so far. I run the adverts on my PC when listening to something else - my time is too valuable for anything else. Also I use very little data. It only works, apparently, on Firefox or Chrome browsers. 

Hey John,

Thanks for all  the helpful info. I wasn't aware of Samba at all. This looks like a cheap way to get internet. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
 Marcus

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 704
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:16 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I'm primarily looking for a reader that my wife can use to read Logos resources that I have purchased for her. There is no need to use it as a phone but I might consider using it for some personal study for myself at times.

If I am reading things right the only option to be able to read Hebrew with the correct vowel placement is with Android 4.2. Can someone confirm that is correct?

Hey Bruce,

The Nexus 7 will be sufficient to read Logos...As far as reading Hebrew. I started in Dec. '12 with Android and I don't recall any problems with the factory stock 4.1 (I believe it was). In the new updated one 4.2, the Hebrew vowel reading in Biblia Bebraica Stuttgartensia is fine. So you shouldn't have problems as far as I can tell. Hope that helps.

Cheers, 
 Marcus

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 3693
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 9:55 AM

JohnLBUK:

Can anyone suggest tablets (NOT amazon - please) that they are happy with for running LOGOS in its present form.

Please do include Amazon - so at least the discussion includes a comparison of Amazon's offerings (e.g. Kindle) to other available Android tablets.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 10:17 AM

Good idea - I had already mentally deleted Amazon products from my options as I did not wish to be locked into the relatively small market of Amazon style apps or subject to the whims of Amazon with their closed operating system. Not everyone shares my jaundiced views however!!

Posts 8
William Gassett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2013 3:55 PM

I, too, am in the market for a Tablet. I like the multi-screen capabilities of the Samsung note 10.1. Does the Nexus 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700, or any of the other Android tablets also offer this? A main concern is to be able to read a Logos book or any book/pdf/etc. and write notes at the same time. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, does Logos run well on the Samsung Note 10.1?

Thanks.

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2013 6:25 PM

John,

How does the note function work on the Nexus 7? i have an iphone and discovered that when i added a note from a passage in a gook it would add the note. but if i accessed the Notes and clicked the specific note.. it would only open in edit view not hyperlink me to the actual highlighted resource i wanted to make note of? all it will do it allow me to edit the note. i know that might be hard to understand here is a post that seems to explain it better: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/54049/483252.aspx#483252   

When i use my wife's iPad, and create a note then access that note later.. i can click the note and it will take me to the highlighted resource, not the edit function. 

This feature and its functionality is delaying me from getting a nexus 7 or hold out for a ipad mini. of course.. price also factors into this.

assuming this is clear.. would like your nexus 7 note experience. thank you

Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:56 AM

One thing that Logos is not good at doing is describing the facilities on its apps - certainly the Android one. http://www.n7.clark-tx.net/#MyObs is by far the best introduction that I have found to show what you can do with it. It makes sense if you have an android in your hand with the App installed. The android App is always behind the Apple one for historical reasons. If you examine the facilities on the web link above you will see no way to access the Notes directly. You can create them, they appear in your works and are synchronized but I see no way to access them directly. No doubt it will come. If there is a way, hopefully someone will enlighten both of us!!

Posts 22860
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 4:07 AM

JohnLBUK:
You can create them, they appear in your works and are synchronized but I see no way to access them directly.

JohnLBUK:
If there is a way, hopefully someone will enlighten both of us!!

You are right that you can't do this at the moment.

JohnLBUK:
No doubt it will come.

Logos have stated that they intend to provide this on Android but haven't indicated when....

Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 5:16 AM

The discussion here has some relevance to this .,..

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/68548.aspx

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2013 9:53 AM

john - thanks for passing that link along. There is a lot of info out there.. and sometimes important discussions are easily missed.

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:29 AM

If you have never used a Samsung Galaxy Note before, I suggest you find a retailer that will allow a reasonably complete demo, including installation of the Logos spp with just some free resources. The Samsung S-Pen is a game-changer with tablets. 

I started my tablet life with the first iPad. About a year ago I needed a phone and went with the first Samsung Galaxy Note. Over the course of about 6 months I found myself using the Note far more than the iPad, especially for reading and marking up of Logos books. Selecting a specific passage is much easier and more precise with the S-Pen than fingers. Add the on-the-fly note taking capabilities and the increased functionality is significant.

Fourth quarter last year, when the iPad Mini appeared, I found myself yearning for a 7-8 inch Note tablet. Rumors stsrted popping up a few months later, an now we have it - the Galaxy Note 8. I got mine the day it was realeased (not a common practice for me), and a happy camper I am. It is far more more expensive than the Nexus, but for my usage well worth it. If you want more than 16gb of space, you'll need to either learn to root your device to utilize the extrrnsl SD card or wait until Samsung releases the 32gb and 64gb devices (no dates announced yet).

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS