What happens to my books when I die?

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6006
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2022 1:28 AM

While the focus has been on FL knowing to whom you want FL to transfer your library after you qualify for the Logos ‘Streets of Gold’ Base Package wouldn’t FL need proof you had died and proof of who you have assigned to be the executor of your will. As not all Logos users live in US  might need to know if ‘death taxes’ existed in other countries and there impact on the transfe.  Or you could just transfer your library before you die - except we don’t always have an idea when that might happen. 

Posts 133
skypeace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2022 9:31 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Mathew Haferkamp:

FYI though Whyndell, it has to given to a person not an organization (school, church, etc)

This is true. BobP has said the license is held by an individual, not a library/school/church. This fact makes me believe the license can not be placed in a trust but must be willed to a recipient. Again, I wish Logos would make it easier to bequeath by placing a beneficiary designation in our account profile. It would be easier to keep updated and protect our investments.

Love the idea of a beneficiary placed on the account. Quite a next level idea releasing me personally to purchase more books now that I might not ever read, but would love the idea of them being available to my progeny.  

A Slave of Christ, Cancelled by Culture, Affirmed by God! HCSB, yes I am that guy!

Posts 5
Pendeta | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 6:15 PM

Right!  That is my point as well...just put a beneficiary field in the profile/account field and honor it!

I did get a reply back from Faithlife Support:

Thank you for reaching out to Faithlife Customer Support! 

We appreciate you planning for the future! In the case of leaving your resources to your heir/inheritor, we do a license transfer agreement. Essentially, if you place it in your will, the inheritor or next of kin just needs to reach out to us with your account details (name, email address, and death certificate) and we do the license transfer at that point. If you know who you want to be the inheritor, we'd be happy to add a note to your account in regards to that person! 

Thank you for working on this with us!

Emily Dalton
Faithlife Support Department

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 8:31 AM

Pendeta:

Right!  That is my point as well...just put a beneficiary field in the profile/account field and honor it!

I did get a reply back from Faithlife Support:

Thank you for reaching out to Faithlife Customer Support! 

We appreciate you planning for the future! In the case of leaving your resources to your heir/inheritor, we do a license transfer agreement. Essentially, if you place it in your will, the inheritor or next of kin just needs to reach out to us with your account details (name, email address, and death certificate) and we do the license transfer at that point. If you know who you want to be the inheritor, we'd be happy to add a note to your account in regards to that person! 

Thank you for working on this with us!

Emily Dalton
Faithlife Support Department

Pendeta, thank you for sharing your reply from Faithlife Support.

Just to clarify though, while Support said they'd be happy to add a note to your account in regard to whom you'd like to inherit your resources, the reply does not specifically say the note is all that will be needed. That portion of the reply about adding a note, is still preceded with a statement that the transfer would take place if the inheritor is named in your will and would take place after the other "details (name, email address, and death certificate)" are provided.

It's encouraging to know they are willing to add a note to the account, but the response does not say the transfer will be made if the note on the account is the only indicator regarding transfer of resources--i.e. without the inheritor also being named in a will.

This is just my own opinion, but I think having an official place on Faithlife's web site (e.g. on Faithlife's "Profile" page for the account holder), stating that Faithlife will execute the transfer of resources to the named person upon receipt of the same info they ask for when the person is named in a will, is the only way the account holder can have any confidence the transfer will take place without the inheritor being named in a will.

So again, I appreciate Faithlife's response--it is encouraging.  But I can't feel comfortable relying on such a vague statement about them adding a note to the account, when there are other places (including their reply to you) where they have clearly stated the inheritor has to be named in a will.

Hopefully, they'll add a place for inheritor info to the "Profile" section of the account (or someplace else within the account web pages) to make it official that the transfer can take place without the need of the inheritor being named in a will.

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 8:46 AM

I still can't imagine FL doing anything much with such notes. If you've had a parent die, maybe a sibling executor, state laws concerning intestate, etc,, FL isn't likely to wade in, especially with 5-digit assets. 

What if a will contradicts a note you forgot about? Or didn't? The state appoints an executor?

This thread masks the point: make a will and save your family a major headache.

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 2:35 PM

DMB:

Also specify beneficiary for every checking, savings, retirement, ... account.

Keep Smiiling Smile

Posts 1262
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 2:43 PM

Robert Whatley:

Logos should make beneficiary mandatory!  Its the only right thing to do due to the large investment involved. seriously.

Amen and amen!!! Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Barney Fife is my hero!

Posts 984
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 6:50 PM

DMB:

I still can't imagine FL doing anything much with such notes. If you've had a parent die, maybe a sibling executor, state laws concerning intestate, etc,, FL isn't likely to wade in, especially with 5-digit assets. 

What if a will contradicts a note you forgot about? Or didn't? The state appoints an executor?

This is very wise counsel. As MJ said in a prior response in this thread and DMB states here, once a person passes away, estate law come into play. So, Logos may not legally be able to honor a beneficiary added to one's account. The two wisest options are to either be prepared to transfer your license before your death or name a beneficiary in your will. We ran into a situation similar to this with my mom's iPhone when she passed away. Apple would let us into the iphone without seeing her will.

My will states the executor is to consult with my church to find an individual (seminarian, pastor, missionary, etc.) who will take my Logos resources. Of course, I could have named a specific individual, but right now I don't have one, so I thought the best course of action was to have the leadership of the church assist with this. I can go back and change this if I need to later. My $.02.

Posts 1187
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 7:28 AM

DMB:

That's an excellent point - a note isn't going to have any legal force, and having an up-to-date will is always prudent.  There are ways to transfer assets outside of the probate process, though, and those can be helpful in many circumstances.  But for Faithlife to make something like that available for our Logos accounts would be more complicated than just adding a note field to our profiles.  Allowing some sort of joint ownership of an account might work. Formal beneficiary designations are common with insurance, employee benefits and investments.  I've never heard of that with a digital asset, but it might be an interesting avenue to explore.  But I have no idea how hard it would be to set something like that up outside the areas where beneficiary designations are already legally recognized. 

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 7:56 AM

Bill Anderson:

DMB:

This is very wise counsel. As MJ said in a prior response in this thread and DMB states here, once a person passes away, estate law come into play. So, Logos may not legally be able to honor a beneficiary added to one's account. The two wisest options are to either be prepared to transfer your license before your death or name a beneficiary in your will. We ran into a situation similar to this with my mom's iPhone when she passed away. Apple would let us into the iphone without seeing her will.

My will states the executor is to consult with my church to find an individual (seminarian, pastor, missionary, etc.) who will take my Logos resources. Of course, I could have named a specific individual, but right now I don't have one, so I thought the best course of action was to have the leadership of the church assist with this. I can go back and change this if I need to later. My $.02.

My main concern with "naming" a person in a will, is that the person you'd like to inherit your Logos resources could easily change based on many factors.  For example:  their relationship with the Lord changes; their desire or interest in digital Bible study software changes; they pass away or become incapacitated; their relationship to the Logos account holder changes (sadly family separations do happen).

The intended inheritor might change several times over the course of even just a few years.  A will is an important document.  Changing a will is inconvenient and can be costly--it's not the kind of document I want to have to change, just because of changes in the person I want to inherit my Logos resources.

At the same time, having different inheritors named in Faithlife and in a will, is a valid concern.  Rather than Faithlife requiring an inheritor to be named "in the will", they could also honor a will that states the inheritor has been named in the Logos account holder's profile.

To the valid concern raised about an account holder that names an inheritor in a will AND in their profile, but names different people, Faithlife could have a disclaimer that wills trump profiles.

One other option to prevent frequent changes to a will, would be for Faithlife to officially allow a will to state that one of the duties of a will's executor, will be to name the inheritor of the Logos resources.  I have never seen this stated by Faithlife as an option.  I realize a will has to be altered if the executor changes, but I think a change in executor is far less likely than a change in the person who will inherit Logos resources.

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 8:21 AM

Rick, your point on frequent changes is certainly valid. Indeed, a will could point to a digital beneficiary. Many of the parallel examples (banking, insurance, etc) exist by virtue of federal and state laws.

But a will is key (and the various medical authorizations). I remember when I was young(er) ... convenience was king. Die, who cares. I'll be dead, not my problem. Pedal to the metal and over the cliff.

But when my parent died, I was surprised .. all Christians. Preachers too. Somehow, the wheels come off, and I'm not sure why.  Maybe earlier buried conflicts. Emotions.

An asset like Logos doesn't need angst.

Posts 5
Pendeta | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 9:32 AM

Thanks all for chiming in!

I guess I will have an executor identified in my Will to determine my desires as to whom should receive my logos 

I may have it go to a missionary or another pastor that may need it more than my family...someone that will use it!

It still will be nice for Faithlife/Logos to make it clear or have a field of whom is listed in your Will

Thanks all!

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS