What happens to my books when I die?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2
William Dillard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:03 AM

If i buy physical books, I can leave my library to my children when I die. What happens to my digital library in this matter? Can i will my digital library to my children?

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:20 AM

William Dillard:
Can i will my digital library to my children?

Yes. 

If you search the forums, you will see that this is a perennial topic of discussion.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:45 AM

Yes, you can do that. There is a small ($20.00, I think) transfer fee. Please excuse Alabama.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:52 AM

alabama24:

William Dillard:
Can i will my digital library to my children?

Yes. 

If you search the forums, you will see that this is a perennial topic of discussion.

I know that death is often a shunned subject but considering there are around 1,000,000 Logos users (give or take), many of us will be passing on in the near future. (Life is but a vapour.) It would be comforting to get an official blog post or something that instructs us how to properly pass on the great blessing of our Logos libraries to minimize post-passing legal entanglements. A grieving widow is not likely to sit on hold with Customer Service waiting to find out how to transfer her late husband's Logos to a needy seminary student. If a Pastor has no will can he still bequeath his Logos to another? Can a trust assume title to a Logos license? Would a user's library disappear if he leaves no will?  We do a lot of question asking in the forums but these are questions that need to be answered.

It would be nice to have a beneficiary designation added to our account profiles on Logos.com. Fast & easy solution.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:54 AM

Robert J Smith:
Please excuse Alabama.

Were you offended by me? I answered "yes" and said that this topic is discussed often? What were you offended by?

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 9:02 AM

As many have said, it needs to be done through a will.  I do wish Logos would be more specific about this topic.

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:15 AM

No, I would not say I was offended. Some how I missed the "yes" in your response. What I saw was a message telling him he should search the forum. Searching the forum is not as simple as it sounds. For instance I tried a search using his OP question and received a not found response, even though the thread is there. I have never been able to find anything with the search function in the forum. 

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:28 AM

Robert J Smith:
Searching the forum is not as simple as it sounds.

I concur. When I need to find something, I will use google. The search topic should be preceded by: site:community.logos.com

FWIW - I wasn't really trying to tell him to search the forums, but rather just commenting that it was a semi-frequent topic of conversation. I was making "small talk." Smile

Posts 3173
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:08 AM

Yes your family or a donation of your library to church or school can be done-:

1st- make sure it is willed- a friend of mine passed away and his wife was unable to do it because of this failure in preparation- though he died suddenly.

Outside of that it is relatively a simple process:)

Posts 331
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:26 AM

FYI though Whyndell, it has to given to a person not an organization (school, church, etc)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:41 PM

Mathew Haferkamp:

FYI though Whyndell, it has to given to a person not an organization (school, church, etc)

This is true. BobP has said the license is held by an individual, not a library/school/church. This fact makes me believe the license can not be placed in a trust but must be willed to a recipient. Again, I wish Logos would make it easier to bequeath by placing a beneficiary designation in our account profile. It would be easier to keep updated and protect our investments.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 2:07 PM

If the number of "views" (as in viewing of this thread) is any indication, many users could be interested in a straight Q&A for this issue.

Posts 460
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 2:26 PM

Super Tramp:
Again, I wish Logos would make it easier to bequeath by placing a beneficiary designation in our account profile. It would be easier to keep updated and protect our investments.

I agree!!

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11.5, 2.8 GHz Intel i7, 8GB

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:35 PM

Super Tramp:

Again, I wish Logos would make it easier to bequeath by placing a beneficiary designation in our account profile. It would be easier to keep updated and protect our investments. 

Such a "beneficiary designation" would likely not stick, for various legal reasons. It would only give users a false impression that a proper bequest had been made.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:49 PM

Lee:
Such a "beneficiary designation" would likely not stick, for various legal reasons. It would only give users a false impression that a proper bequest had been made.

Bummer. I was hoping since it worked for life insurance policies, it would work for software. Sad

Well, we all better get on with updating/creating wills. Still, what of those who have set up a trust? Is it possible to have both a Will (for Logos) and a Trust? We need a lawyer here. It would be a shame to let a Logos library die with oneself.

Posts 67
Jeff Hetrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:46 PM

Robert J Smith:

No, I would not say I was offended. Some how I missed the "yes" in your response. What I saw was a message telling him he should search the forum. Searching the forum is not as simple as it sounds. For instance I tried a search using his OP question and received a not found response, even though the thread is there. I have never been able to find anything with the search function in the forum. 

Right - not regarding the always helpful Alabama - but on the search function. Logos Bible Software is a search monster but the forum only yields about a 20% return for me and that's being generous. 

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:35 AM

Jeff Hetrick:
the forum only yields about a 20% return for me and that's being generous. 

Big SmileYesTongue Tied

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:41 AM

Jeff Hetrick:
Logos Bible Software is a search monster but the forum only yields about a 20% return for me and that's being generous. 

The reason for this is Logos didn't develop their own forum software, but went with a pre-existing package. That makes a lot of sense from the aspect of allocating scarce developers' resources, but left us with the forum as it is. I most often use google with site:community.logos.com - it seems Google is a search monster respective to the internet. Best of both worlds, so to say.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3
Robert Whatley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 25 2017 9:03 AM

Logos should make beneficiary mandatory!  Its the only right thing to do due to the large investment involved. seriously.

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 25 2017 11:47 AM

Wow, it‘s like SuperTramp returned!  I hope his family got his books. He seemed to know.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS