Switching from PC to Mac

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Gerald Kapanka | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:06 AM

I have been a logos user for many years. I have been using a PC with Logos 5, but now am considering switching to a Mac. Are there any issues that I should consider before making the change? Will I keep my personal books, notes, and user created documents? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:23 AM

Currently Logos does not sync Personal Book resources.  Other user created documents sync.

Thankful can copy *.lbspbb files from PC and use scan command on Mac, followed by restarting Logos, to copy compiled personal book into Logos4 folder and index.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

Note: Logos 4 and Logos 5 on OS X use ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4 folder.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:25 AM

stay with the PC, best advice.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:47 AM

I have switched to a Mac 3 years ago. No regrets.

Its stable. Windhoos (was)  not.

Logos works fine here, esp. Logos5.

Hans

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 11:52 AM

This is only my opinion - I'm not looking to offend any Mac users.

I switched to Mac 1 year ago, and although the Macbook Pro is a great machine, the Logos for PC software is better.  The parity from Mac to PC is big in my opinion - check out the wiki page.  So, on top of the higher price for a Mac, I had to buy Parallels to run Windows 7 so I could run Logos for PC on my new Mac.  Both Parallels and Win 7 ran me an extra $150.  Also, I could have saved a lot of money buying a PC laptop vs a Mac.  Again the Mac is a great machine, but for my main use (Logos) a PC would have been fine.  

I hope I didn't confuse you.  May God bless whatever decision you make.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 12:11 PM

Gerald Kapanka:

I have been a logos user for many years. I have been using a PC with Logos 5, but now am considering switching to a Mac. Are there any issues that I should consider before making the change? Will I keep my personal books, notes, and user created documents? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't interact much with the folks who run L5 on Mac, but I note that L5 works better than L4 ever did, and that L5 still has problems that L5 for Windows doesn't have.

IMHO, if Logos is a primary program for you, and you have been running a PC, you'd be happier with L5, if you stick with a PC. If Logos is not a program you use heavily, you may or may not find the adjustment to a Mac worth the change (people are different and work differently).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 12:26 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
IMHO, if Logos is a primary program for you, and you have been running a PC, you'd be happier with L5, if you stick with a PC. If Logos is not a program you use heavily, you may or may not find the adjustment to a Mac worth the change (people are different and work differently).

I would generally agree… as a Mac person, I would say it a little differently. I don't think anyone should switch to Mac if 1) Logos is their prime usage of the computer and 2) they don't have significant reasons otherwise to do so. Personally I LOVE Mac and can <live> with any Logos deficiencies. If I found myself no longer in that position, I would purchase a windows license and run Boot camp (A Mac which can duel boot into Windows). 

If someone were contemplating making the switch, I would strongly encourage them to seek out a Mac Logos user, and if at all possible, play around with it. Kick the tires. I believe spending more money for a Mac is well worth it… but I drink the Kool-Aide. Big Smile Please DON'T buy a Mac for the sole purpose of running Logos. If you haven't "bought in" you will be disappointed. If you have "bought in," you will need to 1) live with the deficiencies (which are decreasing, even if not fast enough) or 2) find a way to run Logos in Windows (i.e. through parallels, boot camp, etc.). 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 12:32 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
I don't interact much with the folks who run L5 on Mac, but I note that L5 works better than L4 ever did

Not for me. For me L4 was horrible, and L5 is far worse.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 7:54 PM

I agree with "alabama24".  If you're thinking of getting a Mac for the sole purpose of running Logos, it's not worth the extra $$, time, and effort you'll have to put into it to equate what you were doing with your PC.  We switched to the Mac platform back in 2008 but still had PCs in use.  We now do everything on the Mac; bulletin design, flyers, Bible studies, sermon preparation, and other things having to do with the ministry.  But all those things did not happen overnight; it took many months to learn everything and especially to find programs that could do the same thing we were formerly doing on the PCs.

As for Logos 5, it runs great on our iMac and seems faster than Logos 4.  We also have a Verizon cellular enabled iPad 3 that was donated to us which we use when away from our home area.  However, I haven't fully utilized all its capabilities yet to be able to comment about Mobile Logos for iOS.

Regards, Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:35 PM

Anthony U:
The parity from Mac to PC is big in my opinion - check out the wiki page.

Link to Logos Feature Parity => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_and_PC_User_Interface_Differences#Feature_Parity

Apologies: should have included link earlier.  Personally use Logos 5.0b on OS X 10.8.2 and Windows 7, easy to switch platforms as desired because Logos 5.0b is substantially the same.

Anthony U:
Also, I could have saved a lot of money buying a PC laptop vs a Mac.  Again the Mac is a great machine, but for my main use (Logos) a PC would have been fine.

Apple offers refurbished Mac models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac that have same warranty as new.  Apples places refurbished sticker on shipping box while Dell places refurbished sticker on computer.  Caveat: Dell Outlet 17" laptop are significantly less expensive than a refurbished Apple 17" laptop.  Dell Outlet posts coupon codes on twitter periodically so at times can buy 3 Dell Outlet 17" laptops (with newer hardware) for less than one Apple refurbished 17" laptop.

In December 2012, Apple had special pricing for some refurbished models, including a 2011 MacBook Air 13" model with 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 (2nd Generation), 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD for $ 869 that runs Logos 5.0b on OS X 10.8.2 nicely (noticeably faster than an older MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:42 PM

Gerald Kapanka:
Are there any issues that I should consider before making the change?

Logos 5 is a resource intensive on Mac & PC – benefits from fast processor, graphics, and quick storage along with adequate memory (i.e. newer hardware since Logos 5 being designed for use over 5 to 8 years); Solid State Disk (SSD) is noticeably faster than hard disk.

If was shopping for a computer to run Logos (Mac or PC), would look for 2nd or 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 or i7 along with Sata III SSD and 4 GB or more RAM.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:27 AM

alabama24:
I would generally agree… as a Mac person, I would say it a little differently. I don't think anyone should switch to Mac if 1) Logos is their prime usage of the computer and 2) they don't have significant reasons otherwise to do so. Personally I LOVE Mac and can <live> with any Logos deficiencies. If I found myself no longer in that position, I would purchase a windows license and run Boot camp (A Mac which can duel boot into Windows). 

As a Mac user, I completely agree. L5 Mac has made huge strides, but if you check the release notes there are still more mac specific bugs that are being addressed than windows. Maybe you won't encounter some of these bugs, but if you are a power user most likely you will. If my primary use for a computer was L5, I think the scales still tip towards windows as I still see it as a superior product.  This being said, L5 Mac is light years ahead of L4 Mac, so the risk of disappointment is much less than it used to be.

I would guess that it is highly likely that another year of development on the Mac might see even more maturity to the product, but there is not complete parity yet in my opinion.  The only caveat to this is that we have been literally saying this for years now! Wink

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:00 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

I would guess that it is highly likely that another year of development on the Mac might see even more maturity to the product, but there is not complete parity yet in my opinion.  The only caveat to this is that we have been literally saying this for years now! Wink

Logos User Voice suggestion => http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2091639-improve-logos-4-mac-feature-parity-with-pc has a reply on 9 Jan 2012:

Bradley Grainger (Admin, Logos Bible Software):

This is an ongoing effort, and while we don’t have an exact date for when it will be completed, each major release will increase the parity between Mac and Windows.

Thankful for Logos fixing three feature parity issues during Logos 4.6b and Logos 5.0b development => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/63519/446612.aspx , => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/63451/446274.aspx and => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/64127/449738.aspx

Added Mac Home Page font sizing to wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_and_PC_User_Interface_Differences#Feature_Parity

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS