Newbies!!

Page 7 of 9 (176 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 175 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:54 AM

Patrick Lacson:
answering technical questions from family members.

no kidding?!  What kinds of technical questions do you get--and how does Logos help you?

Patrick Lacson:
I don't really have anything on my Logos wish list except maybe this one feature:  Allow the importing of existing PDFs into Logos. 

this isn't PDF, but PBB (Personal Book Builder), which, depending on the copyright status, you can make your own L4 searchable books.  Here is what Bob had to say about it in this thread:

Bob Pritchett:

PBB for Logos 4 isn't coded yet... so things are still flexible.

The basic idea is:

A) No more second-class citizens. PBB will use the same internal file format as books we distribute, so highlighting and other features "just work."

B) Compiling will probably be done on the server. (Because we're making PBB books first-class citizens, they need to go through the primary metadata and license databases, so we can sync them to your multiple devices, let your read your PBB's on your iPhone, etc.)

C) Your content defaults to private, just like your notes and other information.

D) You'll have the option to share your books with "groups" of other people. (And your notes, highlights, etc.) You'll have per-file control of exactly what you share and who you share it with.

E) We're considering a PBB store, like the App Stores for mobile phones, where you could choose to sell PBB's for which you owned the copyright, with Logos handling the credit card transactions, downloading, etc.

This is just "the state of the thinking"....

-- Bob

Welcome to the forum!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:59 AM

BrentHoefling:
I now have well over 4000 resources and dozens more preordered and community pricing "on the way

BrentHoefling:
I can't believe I started with just wnating a Bible on my computer.

Yes, a few of us have caught the disease along with you. . .

BrentHoefling:
having notes/highlights available

I'd like that too!

Welcome!

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 8:00 AM

Marco:
sometimes I do a puzzle with my kids

you know, I have never done that--but it is a good idea.  I have 4 kids under 11.  I will try it.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 11:08 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Upgrading base packages is the single best value you can find. But only you can determine if it is truly something you need and will use.

Well said, Matthew.  Although I got resources that I probably will never use (and yet, several of these resources I am excited to have), I went the base package upgrade route because the cost of purchasing the individual products (K/D, NAS Commentary set, Pulpit Commentary set, etc.) would have been more!  The pluses outweigh the minuses when upgrading.

David

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:25 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Marco:
sometimes I do a puzzle with my kids

you know, I have never done that--but it is a good idea.  I have 4 kids under 11.  I will try it.

Great thing to do with your kids. Just be prepared to be humbled at how quickly they can finish the puzzle before you do. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3
Gary Whitfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 10:06 PM

Hi I'm Gary.  This is my first time posting to the forum but I have been a Logos user for about 4 years.  I have a question concerning the Personal Book Builder - Is there a time frame for when it might be completed? 

Nothing comes before the Word of God and our personal time with God.  That has to be first in our lives.  The software is only as good as it helps us achieve our goals with God.  The study of the Bible is preeminent for God magnified His Word above His name (Ps 138:2b) so it behooves us to do no less than to magnify it above our own names (or above everything we stand for). God wants us to understand it. (Eph 1:18).  As believers and leaders we are responsible to [Study to show ourselves approved unto God, a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth.] (II Tim 2:15). We have so much that God has given us so let us have hearts full of thanksgiving to Him in the name of Jesus Christ.  Let's give what we know to others.  With that said, I love this software.

My enthusiasm for the Logos 4 program spread to my wife who I persuaded to attend a camp logos 4 camp with me last month (in Huntsville, AL of all places).  Now she had to have her own copy of scholar edition while I upgraded to gold.  I love the way you can extract so much information from the huge list of resources using the passage guide, the exegetical guide, and the word study guide.  We are reworking the syllabii for the camp logos class.  So much material covered in that class - but all at a comfortable rate.  It was a top rate presentation of the material.  My hat is off to Morris Proctor.  I am working on my son and daughter and my friends presently to get them excited about the software. 

Posts 9526
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 10:31 PM

Gary Whitfield:
I have a question concerning the Personal Book Builder - Is there a time frame for when it might be completed? 

Here is the best information we have: http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:19 AM

Gary Whitfield:
Hi I'm Gary. This is my first time posting to the forum but I have been a Logos user for about 4 years.
Since Mark answered your query with the best information we have, I'll just add welcome to the forums.

Oh, and I agree about Moe Proctor.  He's a great instructor.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1
Larry Millspaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:51 AM

I've been using Logos for several years.

I have DLS 3.0.

I use this wonderful resource to prepare for three different groups that I lead or teach.

I also use the tremendous devotional resources.

I recommend Logos with my highest praises to those who at any stage of spiritual growth.

Posts 2
David Sincerbox | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:01 AM

My name is David Sincerbox and I have used L3 for at least 8 years and am now getting oriented in L4. I have the Silver Package plus lots of other books I've added through the years including the Word Biblical Commentary series. I am a retired math and physics instructor and science museum director who is now a part time Anglican minister (an ordained Deacon, one of three ordained ministries in the Anglican tradition, tho other two being the Priest and the Biship; all, however, are considered deacons). My Logos definitely helped me with my ordaination exams. I purchased on prepub the video series on learning Greek and Hebrew with L4 and I recently completed Dr. Heiser's video series on digging into the Hebrew. I began with Hebrew because I had had two years of personal mentoring in Greek with a the well-known author and scholar T. M. Moore whose assistent I was at Cedar Springs Presbytherian Church in Knoxville. I plan to go through the Greek video series this fall. As I discover more and more what L4 can do, I am increasingly impressed by it. I just applied my visual filters to the Hebrew text of Joel using the ESV reverse interlinear and came to some exciting interpretative conclusions on the use of the piel stem in the first chapter whch were not covered in the commentaries. I use L4 for teahing preparation and sermon preparation. I would like to purchase the Anchor Bible Dictionary and the Walke/O'connor introduction to Hebrew syntax as my next additions to my library.

Posts 578
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:20 PM

Gary Whitfield:
My enthusiasm for the Logos 4 program spread to my wife who I persuaded to attend a camp logos 4 camp with me last month (in Huntsville, AL of all places). 

Hi Gary, I was right there with you in Huntsville! I agree, Moe is the best. He is gifted at this, and I'm still going through my notes and his manuals, almost a month later.

As for L4 and can truthfully say I have never been as excited for a software package since Microsoft Office came out in 1994. I still have the original MS Office box and the manuals and floppy disks. As someone said in this thread earlier, I started out just wanting some simple Bible software, not realizing what I was about to purchase!

For the thread, here is my profile:

• For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?
    Since Feb. 2010
  • What kinds of resources or packages you own?
    Scholar's basic, but I plan to go Platinum next week for my birthday!
  • What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?
    Sunday School prep and personal Bible study
  • And what is on your Logos wish list?
    the PBB addin would be awesome; I was wanting a feature like this when I was shopping around for a Bible software package. But the Lord has taught me patience Smile
Posts 2
Norris Wayne Fletcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 5:59 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Norris Fletcher and I am a Logos 4 user. I have been using logos for 6 months now. I am a preacher, Sunday school teacher and bible study teacher and logos has become a invaluable part of my preparation.  I am looking forward to all the information that can be gained from this forums.

Posts 63
Scot Jefferies | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 6:26 PM

Norris Wayne Fletcher:
I am looking forward to all the information that can be gained from this forums.

Welcome Norris.  I greeted you on the "Friends" thread and thanked you for your years of military service.  I know you'll grow to appreciate the great community here.  There are some really knowledgeable people who are very willing to share in helping others.  I'm especially glad for the way every question is greeted.  There are no bad questions here except the ones that are never asked.

If you haven't taken a look at the Community Pricing Page don't miss it.  God has blessed me so much through the quality public domain opportunities to grow my resources this way.  Here is a link:  http://www.logos.com/communitypricing .  If you have questions about it don't hesitate to ask.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:38 AM

LarryMillspaugh:

I've been using Logos for several years.

I have DLS 3.0.

I use this wonderful resource to prepare for three different groups that I lead or teach.

I also use the tremendous devotional resources.

I recommend Logos with my highest praises to those who at any stage of spiritual growth.

DavidSincerbox:

My name is David Sincerbox and I have used L3 for at least 8 years and am now getting oriented in L4.

Welcome  to the forums Larry and David.

Don't let this be your last post, feel free to join in on other forum postings.

And don't hesitate to post a question of your own. Smile

Posts 1
Kevin Weaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:12 PM

Greating everone.

i'm just babe in Christ but i have a desire to study and learn Gods word.

i am still just floating around, mostly trying to learn the functions of the software and i must say i am blown away with the complexity and fullness of functionallity!!! i have mainly focused on watching all the training videos. i am about 1/2 way through them and i must say im impressed!

these are great. Thanks and props to everyone at Logos!

For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?

about one week

What kinds of resources or packages you own?

base Scholar's library.

What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

im most interested in the language resorces and tools.

And what is on your Logos wish list?

all of it beyond what i have now

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:41 PM

KEVIN:

Greating everone.

i'm just babe in Christ but i have a desire to study and learn Gods word.

i am still just floating around, mostly trying to learn the functions of the software and i must say i am blown away with the complexity and fullness of functionallity!!! i have mainly focused on watching all the training videos. i am about 1/2 way through them and i must say im impressed!

these are great. Thanks and props to everyone at Logos!

For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?

about one week

What kinds of resources or packages you own?

base Scholar's library.

What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

im most interested in the language resorces and tools.

And what is on your Logos wish list?

all of it beyond what i have now

Welcome Kevin!

Wow you are new and learning quickly! You will find this to be a very responsive forum when you need assistance.

May our heavenly Father bless you as you study His Word and use Logos Bible Software!

Posts 3
J. A. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:01 PM

Hello all.  I am a newbie to Logos and have been a user all of 45 minutes.  All I can say is WOW.  There's a lot more to it than the demo vid lets on.  I'm trying to get some decent layouts going for reading, general study and sermon prep.  Any ideas?

Posts 9526
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:49 PM

Welcome Jackie. There are some good videos to check out on the making of layouts. You'll find them listed on the wiki. Check the wiki for other information about making collections, using features, etc. The link is at the top of the page.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 2:57 AM

Jacky, for Mark's suggestion visit http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

Posts 1
Nonoy Oro | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:06 AM

Hi all,

I've been praying to acquire a scholar's gold of this software but i'm a Mac user. Ever since i learned that they're developing a Mac version, i've been following its development since last Dec. 2009. When i checked recently, the Mac version is still in beta. I plan to purchase when it's fully ready for Mac.

Page 7 of 9 (176 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS