Newbies!!

Page 8 of 9 (176 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 175 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:21 AM

Nonoy Oro:
When i checked recently, the Mac version is still in beta. I plan to purchase when it's fully ready for Mac

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your wise choice of an OS! Geeked

Consult the Logos 4 for Mac (http://community.logos.com/forums/75.aspx) forum. You will discover that many users consider the Mac version as fully ready for their use already.

Posts 29
Robert N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:10 AM

Questions:

I am not sure about how to ask a question on the Forum and where to ask it so please forgive for using "Reply" as I didn't see a "Post" option. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a specific place to go to on the Forums to get help 24/7/365? I suppose this would be a place where other users monitor for questions... perhaps like the chat rooms?

2) Is there a way to build a concordance for a search like say all the verses where the phrase "I am" occurs?

3) Is there a way to organize the Bibles to be searched into groups and search multiple Bibles simultaneously?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am struggling with the learning curve and the Logos 4 Mac Beta, but mostly  the learning curve. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Robert  Smile

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:54 AM

Hi Robert - and welcome.

Robert N:
I am not sure about how to ask a question on the Forum and where to ask it so please forgive for using "Reply" as I didn't see a "Post" option

At the top of each forum there is a "Write New Post" button - this enables you to enter a new post.

Many more details about using the forum are available at http://wiki.logos.com/Using_the_Forum. It is an excellent description of navigating around and using these forums.

Robert N:
1) Is there a specific place to go to on the Forums to get help 24/7/365? I suppose this would be a place where other users monitor for questions... perhaps like the chat rooms?

These forums are the ideal place to get answers 24/7 - as was recognised in a recent blog entry at http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/08/how_to_get_logos_support_at_130_am.html

Robert N:
2) Is there a way to build a concordance for a search like say all the verses where the phrase "I am" occurs?

This is provided by the search facilities in Logos - for your example you would click the "search button", select "Bible search", put your phrase into the search box, choose the version you want and set it going.

Robert N:
3) Is there a way to organize the Bibles to be searched into groups and search multiple Bibles simultaneously?

You can group Bibles (and other resources) in a number of ways. In the example below I am selecting the drop-down to allow me to change the Bibles being searched and selecting "Top Bibles". 

I have this set to include the NIV, ESV, NRSV, ISV and NLT and you can see the results below:

This "Top Bible" setting is done using prioritization and information concerning this - and other aspects of using the Logos library - is at http://wiki.logos.com/Library.

There are other ways of doing what you want to do but hopefully this will get you started.

Robert N:
Sorry for all the questions, but I am struggling with the learning curve and the Logos 4 Mac Beta, but mostly  the learning curve. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Please don't apologise - you will find lots of people who are willing to help.

Graham

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 5:36 AM

Hi Robert and welcome to the Logos Forums...

Graham did a great job answering your questions, but I will add on that you would find the feature videos for Logos 4 helpful in understanding the most used features. They can be found at http://www.logos.com/videos. It is my understanding that although they are mostly done on PC's the features are also in the Mac software. So they should help you get acquainted with the features you will most want to use.

You said something about using Logos 4 Mac Beta and Mac has it own area if you are needing to ask a specific Logos 4 Mac related question, otherwise the general forum should be able to help you out with most other questions. There is no special 24/7/365 specific area to the Forums, since all the latest posts are shown on the page that I have screen captured below.

You might also find some of the links here New to the Forums? helpful.

Blessings as you learn Logos and mine deep into God's Word!

Posts 40
Joe Newell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:00 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie in SO MANY WAYS.

Saved by Christ less than two months ago, I purchased the Scholar's Silver version today because my Walk is already leading me to next chapters in my 47-yr-old life.  Praise the Lord that I can have my joyous rebirth at this time, locate a wonderful package like L4, and then make my first post on a 10,000+ person forum such as this!!

I'd be grateful for 'first steps' suggestions from those who've been where I am - hungry but overwhelmed by the book menu and wanting to get off to the best start.

Joe

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:51 PM

Joseph Newell:
I'd be grateful for 'first steps' suggestions from those who've been where I am - hungry but overwhelmed by the book menu and wanting to get off to the best start.

Welcome Joe, to the forums, and more importantly to God's great, big family! We're not always pretty, but we're all His!

Okay, about Logos4. I'd encourage you to open the home page, type in a scripture passage you want to look at and press "Go." Yes, it may look a little overwhelming at first, but don't sweat it. Read the Bible passage first, and then start to look at the supporting documents and resources to help you dig deeper. Not sure where to start? I'd recommend John 1:1, then just read as much as you want. Then dig into it as deeply as you want.

Look at the videos (see the link below, in my signature) for prioritizing your resources, and put a Bible dictionary or two in that list. That way you can click on Bible places, names, or even many ideas and get a Bible dictionary article that explains what you're looking at.

Go to the Passage Guide and start exploring commentaries, cross references, people, places, things, etc.

Enjoy exploring God's Word, and enjoy the blessing of benefiting from others' study by reading widely.

God Bless!

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:56 PM

Welcome Joe!

It is wonderful to see a new Christian finding Logos software so quickly.

To get the most out of the software I would suggest viewing the feature videos at http://www.logos.com/videos and the rest of them as you have time. I encourage you to pray before you study the Word (ask God to reveal Himself to you as you read and study His Word), whether it be a paper Bible or in Logos. I would also suggest that you set up a very basic layout for your Bible study (see the layout video), with your favorite Bible translation and the Bible Explorer (found under the Tools menu in the upper left corner). Open a new note to write down questions that you have about what you are reading.

Set up a daily reading plan (under the "File" menu in the upper left corner) and jump into the Word!

If you have questions about the software or about how to find something write a new post with the question so it will get noticed quickly.

May our heavenly Father richly bless you as you grow in His Word!

Let me also add that I would suggest two books to help get you started:  How to Read the Bible Book by Book and How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth

Posts 40
Joe Newell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 6:24 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I have to say that the tutorial videos are absolutely incredible!  And, I can certainly add that I have been stunned by the number of really great features within the software.

The books by Wiersba are very enjoyable for me, but I wish that some Bonhoeffer had been included.  Is it a part of any of the larger packages?

This is just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Joe

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 7:26 AM

Joseph Newell:
The books by Wiersba are very enjoyable for me, but I wish that some Bonhoeffer had been included.  Is it a part of any of the larger packages?

Joe, Bonhoeffer has been asked for, but I don't see any Bonhoeffer resources in Logos, yet. It's possible that there is a problem between those who hold copyright/publishing rights to his work and Logos. There is an old thread suggesting his works be published here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/371/3632.aspx

You could add your name to that discussion, or send an email to suggest@logos.com

Posts 40
Joe Newell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:11 AM

Thank you, Richard.  I am content to have all of these books to tackle that I already have!

Does anyone have a strong suggestion for anything in my library that is an in-depth treatment of the Reformation?  I have to admit that this is a fascinating subject for me.  I have even thought about ordering Diarmid MacCullough's book on same from Amazon.

For those who enjoy Bonhoeffer, Eric Metaxas's biography of him published earlier this year is very enjoyable.

Thanks again... so much.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:31 AM

Joseph Newell:
Does anyone have a strong suggestion for anything in my library that is an in-depth treatment of the Reformation?  I have to admit that this is a fascinating subject for me.  I have even thought about ordering Diarmid MacCullough's book on same from Amazon.

Search your Library for "Reformation" or "Church History" (with or without quotes). One thing that popped up is Philip Schaff's History of the Christian Church. Volumes 7 and 8 deal with the German and Swiss reformations (respectively).

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2010 4:29 PM

Joseph, you might want to search on www.logos.com under "reformation" or other search terms.  One collection that is on Pre-pub is this Luther Studies Collection.  If you don't know about the "Pre-Pub Program", it is a great way to get books at an awesome price (with some exceptions).  Logos usually offers books and collections at a steep discount before the books are published.  You can place a "pre-pub order" that "locks you in" at that price.  Your card is not charged until the books are ready to ship, however.  And Logos notifies you before that happens, so you can make sure everything is in order and you are ready to purchase.  If by chance something has changed, you can delete that order before you are charged.

I have gained many great additions to my library that way.  Blessings to you!  And welcome to the family of God!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 29
Robert N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:19 PM

Graham thank you for the help. I just got back to reading this. I will try the suggestions out as time allows. Thanks so much!!! Robert

Posts 4
Chris Echols | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 5:29 AM

I'm currently an accordance user, and Logos 4 for Mac is calling my name.  I'm going to purchase a starter package, but I wanted to know can I use user bibles?  I also have a lot of highlights in Accordance - can I have multiple highlighting syles and then search for those styles?  Can I import user tools?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 7:10 AM

No such thing as a user bible in Logos, nor any equivalent feature planned.

The closest thing that is not planned until 2011 is a PBB (Personal "Book") replacement (similar to user tools you can't really edit, but only import).

Highlighting search: http://wiki.logos.com/Finding_Highlighted_Text

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 7:53 AM

Chris Echols:
Can I import user tools?
Mike answered the other two.  But I'm not sure what you mean by user tools.

You can create your own highlighting styles and such if that's what you mean.  

Is there something else?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 8:55 AM

Thomas Black:

Chris Echols:
Can I import user tools?
Mike answered the other two.  But I'm not sure what you mean by user tools.

You can create your own highlighting styles and such if that's what you mean.  

Is there something else?

you can't search for unique highlights, but you can flip through them, and you can create your own styles, as well as use the several palettes (including precepts) premade for you.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 5:46 PM

Chris Echols:
Can I import user tools?

Short answer, No you cannot import user tools into L4. Logos Personal Book Builder (PBB) had similar abilities in L3, but has not yet appeared in L4. PBB is scheduled to appear sometime in 2011. According to advance press, PBB in L4 will be dramatically improved.

In any case, User Bibles and User Tools created in Accordance will probably never be capable of being imported into Logos (different format, different philosophy of programming).

Posts 71
Romulo de Amorim Correa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 10 2010 4:14 PM

Dave Smith:

My first wish list for Logos is a fully functioning mac version of v4 but I already know it's on it's way. Beyond that I'd say better documentation/ training on not just what the program does but why you'd use it that way. 

Hi Dave,

this is my wish too!!! :)))

Romulo Corrêa

Brasília - Brazil

Posts 71
Romulo de Amorim Correa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 10 2010 4:26 PM

Geertruida Selter:

It is too early days with Logos 4 for me to have a wish list, but the extension of the training video's to cover more features would not be a bad thing, though I surmise that you are working on that.

Here we go again! :)))

Romulo Corrêa

Brasília - Brazil

Page 8 of 9 (176 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS