Newbies!!

Page 3 of 9 (176 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 175 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:40 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

AdamCarrigan:

Sharon, I resonate with your method of Bible study and preparation to teach (spend lots of time with God in the text before consulting other resources).  It reminds me of my own training in Bible college, what I've found most helpful, and what I saw in a dear lady and gifted teacher at our last church. 

Question: What do you use for teaching "How to Study the Bible"?  That is one of my passions, and I'm interested in building my knowledge base of how to do it.

- Adam

Adam,

There is nothing more needful!  Your heart is blessed!

Precept Ministries has many useful training helps and I encourage you to take advantage of as many of them as you can!  The more you learn how to study-the more you will learn as you study!  I especially recommend going to Chattanooga TN and attending their training workshops; they have much more available on campus than around the country.  You will be so blessed!

Now...I tried to learn how to study the Bible inductively through Dr. James McCaan (excellent teacher) but I didn't quite get it, all I remembered was “whole-part-whole”.  Then I took training classes through Precept Ministries and the lights came on!  Kay Arthur learned how to study through Irving Jensen's method of independent Bible study.  His book called "Independent Bible Study", Kay's book on "How to Study the Bible", Fee & Stuart's book "How to read the Bible for all its worth" and Robertson McQuilkin's "Understanding and Applying the Bible" all have invaluable information.  I believe some of these are available through Logos.

Adam, no matter where I go, whenever I talk to people, most, most, most do not know how to study the Bible!  They know what they think the Bible says, but they don't know what it says for themselves.  They have "done" a Study Book about Romans or taken a class on Romans, but they have not studied Romans!  Does that make sense?

I grew up in church, and absorbed all there was around me, but sadly, no one really knew His Word.  They knew things His Word said, or things that were said about His Word, but not His Word, His logos.  When the lights came on during one of Precept's training workshops I was dumbfounded, astounded, and humbled!  I set my heart like Ezra (7:10), to study His Word, to obey His Word, and to teach His Word.  Ezra's mission to Israel became my mission to "pew people" - people who had sat in pews all their lives, and yet just like me, did not know the Word of God or the God of the Word.

I won't elaborate anymore, you asked, “What do I use for teaching?”  Well, I ask people to start at the beginning, ask them to be willing to empty their cup, so to speak, of all they think they know about Truth, and ask them to come to God, in His Word, and ask God to teach them Truth.  If what they had in their cup was Truth, God will put it right back in!  No threat!

I then take them through a passage, showing them how to ask it the questions it knows by interrogating the text.  Sometimes I will ask them to consider what they believe about a certain passage and then take them to that passage, asking them to observe it closely to see if what they believe is really what it says.  Many times this method will "back people out of their parking space" so to speak.  And again, if what they study in the Word of God themselves puts them back into that same parking space, great!  Now they can know that they believe what the Bible says and not what someone else has taught them.

One indispensable skill is observing the text of the Bible itself.  We live such fast paced lives that we seldom sit down and observe anything with our full interest.  When you observe a book of the Bible, you need to give it your complete attention; it will take time and it will take effort.  Observing is done best with a pencil in hand, making notes of what you see.  You will see words and phrases that are repeated, lists, contrasts, comparisons, and many other types of categories.  The observation process should take as long as possible.  It is the most profitable, both for knowledge and for faith!

Next, I try to convince students to believe that "Context is King!"  As students observe, they must remember to keep everything they read in its context.  Each word dwells in an environment of a sentence; each sentence dwells in a paragraph or chapter; each chapter dwells in a book.  And of course, each book dwells in one of two testaments and each testament dwells in the glorious environment of the whole counsel of the Word of God!

God gave us His Word book by book, so we must study it book by book.  Seems simple, but it is so often neglected.

You cannot preach expositionally until you have studied inductively!  The Bible must be our primary source, not any other work.  I will, in due progress, teach students how to cross-reference and do word studies; both have their place. That is when Logos comes in - a wonderful array of tools and helps at your fingertips!

I am sorry I wrote so much, but I love Him so…and I desire that everyone would listen to Him…

If you have any questions, please ask, because, although I wrote a long reply, there is so much more that could be said.:-)

About my Father's business...

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 4
Jeffery Bentley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:47 AM

Jayson,

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been using Logos for about 2 years. I started with Logos3 Christian Home Library. I loved it but the base

package was a little small. Since I am now a student I upgraded at a discount for being an upgrader and a student. I also bought Morris's training

manuals this time. I got the Scholars Library and I am overwhelmingly pleased with the whole package. I decided I did not want to haul the whole thing

over the internet download so I had to wait only 3 days to get the disk. I ordered the manuals over the phone and got them on Saturday. The lady was really nice

and customer support at Logos has been great! I had to call twice because my laptop has internet but my desktop is not hooked up(I am on a budget) so I go to the coffee shop to do my internet with my laptop. I only had to wait about 15 minutes each time which is not too bad for how busy they have been lately. I highly recommend Morris's manuals. I now know how to read the interlinear codes on my Bibles. I still use Esword as my number 2 program but this is definitely the Caddy and Ferrari of packages all rolled into one. The maps are awesome. THE BEST MAPS you can find right now that I know of.

Posts 23
Ellie Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:09 AM

AMEN, Sharon!!! A woman after my heart!!!!

Posts 5
Rory M Lennox | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:09 AM

How long have I been a Logos user?  I'm not sure.  I know that I have gone through three upgrades.  It seems like it has to be 4 or 5 years but I am not sure.  Clearly I have spend too much on books.  I received my Logos 4 yesterday and it has been working on my library for almost 24 hours and it says that I have 4 + hours till it is done indexing.  I am a pastor and so I have used Logos as my primary sermon preparation software.  I do a lot of stuff that just satisfies my own curiosity about things I do not exactly understand.  At the moment from what I have seen I think 4 is going to supply most if not all the things I have wanted but was too afraid to ask. :').  Well. a bucket full of patience might help as I wait for 4 to become fully functional.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:22 AM

Ellie,

I am so glad to meet you!!!

And may both our hearts be after the Father's Own heart - beating as His beats, and breaking as His breaks..

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 3
Fred Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Ellie. I'll check it out.

Posts 27
CharlesJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:33 AM

Hello all:

I am a new user (?) to Logos.  I put the question mark because I don't know if you want to call me "new" or not because I did purchase Logos on diskette many years ago.  Instead of updating, I went to another bible software (BibleWorks) for about ten years or so.  Instead of upgrading the BibleWorks I decided to go back to Logos Scholar version.

I will use Logos mainly to do word studies and put lessons together. 

I am retired from IBM and have a lot of time on my hands.  I do walk 5 miles per day (6 days week).  I live in San Antonio, Tx. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Charles

Posts 12
Pastor Mark Stevenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:41 AM

I have been with a Logos for quite a few years. I just upgraded to the Logos 4 and I love it. I have a the Leaders program and it is really just about enough for me. I don't really use it the way I would like to. I am a Pastor and am learning the program every time I turn it on. I turn it on every day.

I like the republishing and a lot of the box they are putting on the net and making available. Their PR is very good and service is excellent. A great organization and top quality program.

I sound like I should be working for this company. LOL!

Posts 103
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:06 PM

I have been a Logos user since 96 (Level 2) floppy drive (what?)

Just got Logos 4 Port. and enjoy it, esp. with Libronix close by for now.

Look forward to being recommitted to sitting in front of the computer.

Peace

Posts 3
Lester W. Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:20 PM

three year logos user

Gold Package

bible study, teaching, preaching

At some point platinum package after that individual books

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:48 PM

I am a pastor and seminary student and I...

I have been a logos user for about 4 years, since I started seminary.

I own The Platinum library with various addins like Boice's commentarys

I use Logos for sermon,bible study prep on a daily basis, in fact this program is on more than any other on my cpu.  

I have tried not to wish for anything new for a while.  I told my wife to tell me know no matter what after I upgraded to platinum.  though I would probably have to buy the Reformed Expository Commentary Set if it ever came available through logos.  

Posts 10
G Richard Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:17 PM

I've been using Logos for about 16 years. I still have my original package on an old Dell desktop, although I haven't pulled it up for years. I have L3 on a 5-year old Compaq laptop and on a new HP laptop. I still go to it frequently when I can't seem to get the hang of L4. L4 Platinum is installed on the HP and the Compaq. I'm up to somewhere north of 2700 resources. I am a ordained minister  for 54 years and pastor for 25 of those years. My work for the past 15 years of retirement has been hospital chaplaincy. My Bible study now is to primarily support Sunday School teaching among Seniors. Several years ago I gave away most of my print library with a purpose to switch to an e-library which I could more easily fit into retirement housing. 

I have three or four areas of interest:  Hebrew language;  Messianic Judaism;  Sermon collections of the "old" preachers, such as Barnhouse and Lloyd-Jones (they knew how to do it); and the theological journals.

L4 is still clunky, but Logos has a history of doing it right, so I expect they will smooth out this new one; I've got L3 in the wings if I get into a jam. 

Richard

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 5:40 PM

I've been using Logos since v1.6 so that goes back a ways. I've upgraded piece by piece year by year adding individual resources, collections and upgrades along the way. I'm now using L4 platinum. I've been using logos for sermon prep, teaching prep, and it has been helpful in my DMin studies.

I wish that logos and Endnote would play nice together for footnoting and bibliographic support. I also would love to see resources available on a Kindle, Nook, or Sony reader for devotional use. I have an ipod touch, but that's a bit tiny for early morning devotional reading and the laptop just seems like overkill.

I must say that I've really enjoyed this latest version. I've been reading posts from some folks that have experienced problems. I've had none of those - just the normal learning curve of refinding all my favorites and new ways to do things. I suspect that in short order I'll be back up to full speed and beyond. Thanks, logos, for putting this out. It's amazing.

Posts 55
David McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:29 PM

G'day

My name's David McKay and I have been using Logos for maybe 10 years or a little longer.

I was pleased to discover I could upgrade to Logos 4 without buying anything, due to the kindness of one of your staff, who pointed this out.

[I did not see this trumpeted in the advertising for the new Logos 4 stuff, though!]

I'm enjoying using my old Logos 3 ebooks in Logos 4.

Logos 4 tells me I have 400 books. I would never have realised it was that many.

I have never owned any of Logos own packages, partly because I use BibleWorks and see a lot of duplication between the two and see that many of the ebooks available in the lower priced Logos packages would either be included also in BibleWorks and be freely available on the net, or both.

I enjoy using The Expositors Bible Commentary, Word Biblical Commentary, the IVP Essential Reference package and some of the Galaxie theological journal packages.

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:34 AM

Sharon Jensen:

Ellie,

I am so glad to meet you!!!

And may both our hearts be after the Father's Own heart - beating as His beats, and breaking as His breaks..

Sharon

Hi Sharon and Ellie,

I'm glad you two kindred spirits found each other.  I'm not a newbie, more like an oldbie.  Smile  Enjoy the software; and it's rare for women to interact on these forums being predominantly male.  God Bless

Posts 23
Ellie Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:07 AM

Well, we'll just have to break THAT mold!!  Big Smile

Posts 3
Robert E Fuller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 7:32 AM

I have used Logos since version 1. I have the scholars' pkg and many add-ons. I prepare sermons, primarily. I also research questions of my own and that other folks ask me. The best addition, from my point-of-view would be Lenski's commentaries.

Posts 23
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:14 AM

I've been a Logos user since 2004. 

Resources and packages are as follows: 

1. Gold Logos 4
  2. Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series (8 Vols.) [DOWNLOAD]
  3. Baker Counseling Collection (3 Vols.)
  4. The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer (22 Titles in 5 Vols.)
  5. Theological Lexicon of the New Testament (3 Vol.)
  6. Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (3 Vol.)
  7. BDAG/HALOT Bundle
  8. Violence and the Bible Collection (2 Vols.)
  9. Baptism Collection (3 Vols.)
  10. Bible and the Arts Collection
  11. The Actuality of Atonement
  12. History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ
  13. Sermon File Addin
  14. Library Builder: Volumes 1-3

I use Logos for personal study, sermon preparation and lesson preparation.  I also have read some books in their entiety.  

On my wishlist are as follows: Baker Hermeneutics Collection, Early Judaism Bundle, NICOT/NICNT commentary set, Treasury of Great preaching set and the Scholar's Bundle.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:46 AM

R. A. Krueger:

I've been a Logos user since 2004. 

Resources and packages are as follows: 

1. Gold Logos 4
  2. Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series (8 Vols.) [DOWNLOAD]
  3. Baker Counseling Collection (3 Vols.)
  4. The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer (22 Titles in 5 Vols.)
  5. Theological Lexicon of the New Testament (3 Vol.)
  6. Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (3 Vol.)
  7. BDAG/HALOT Bundle
  8. Violence and the Bible Collection (2 Vols.)
  9. Baptism Collection (3 Vols.)
  10. Bible and the Arts Collection
  11. The Actuality of Atonement
  12. History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ
  13. Sermon File Addin
  14. Library Builder: Volumes 1-3

I use Logos for personal study, sermon preparation and lesson preparation.  I also have read some books in their entiety.  

On my wishlist are as follows: Baker Hermeneutics Collection, Early Judaism Bundle, NICOT/NICNT commentary set, Treasury of Great preaching set and the Scholar's Bundle.

Great stuff. Congratulations. Just one question. What you mean by saying you have a "Gold Logos 4" and than you say in your wish list you would like to have a Scholar's Bundle?

Bohuslav

Posts 23
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 10:21 AM

It's this scholar reference bundle.

Page 3 of 9 (176 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS