Is it just me, or...

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:37 AM

Hmm...Hmm

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:39 AM

I voted Swaggart and was also surprised by this!

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:50 AM

I'm surprised too!  I never expected Swaggart to get that many votes.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:25 AM

Michael:

I'm surprised too!  I never expected Swaggart to get that many votes.

Outside of Jack Hayford and a couple dozen Bible college courses Logos is woefully lacking in Pentecostal works. In contrast, there are thousands of works by Reformed authors. I have noticed people don't generally hang out where they don't feel welcome. The Swaggart fans don't even know there is a March Madness sale going on here.l

disclosure: While not Pentecostal, I, too, voted for Swaggart. And I am surprised by how many votes he got.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:28 AM

Super Tramp:
In contrast, there are thousands of works by Reformed authors

Which leads to the question, why would they even pair these two?

Seems like "lip service", IMO

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:35 AM

Why would anyone vote for a Swaggart?  (Just kidding guys—it reminds me of "braggart").  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1776
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:38 AM

I was amazed at how lopsided this is.  I would bet that a poll of the general public in the USA would have Swaggart ahead by a mile (unfortunately, IMHO)

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:56 AM

Paul Golder:

Which leads to the question, why would they even pair these two?

Seems like "lip service", IMO

I believe that once they've chosen the contestants and divided them into groups, the pairs are made by simply casting lots. At least I think they've said so in the past.

Every time a post in this thread turns up in my inbox, I keep getting reminded of a DVD title: Jimmy Swaggart Made Me CatholicStick out tongue

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:01 AM

Ken McGuire:
I would bet that a poll of the general public in the USA...

Not too sure about that, it's been my experience that when he is mentioned, even within Pentecostal circles, one or two less than flattering issues enter into the conversation.

That being said, he does have a following, and to pit him against a reformist, (under circumstance where Reformed theology is status quo), seems unreasonable.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:04 AM

George Somsel:
Why would anyone vote for a Swaggart?

I have over 10,000 books in my Logos library. Pentecostals are a very tiny part of my library. "Under-represented", you might say. I have a large library to read up on different theological perspectives. I bought Sproul back in the Libronix 2 days. I bought Spurgeon and Calvin Collections as Pre-Pubs. My point being I am running out of options on sale items. We all know a reformed author will win March Madness. That is fine but I will likely already own all the top echelon.

I am happy Swaggart even made it to the competition. We will never see a sale on Swaggart for 30% off again. And we can't get much Campbellite material out of Pre-Pub. Mennonite books finally made a showing. I would love to see Logos issue a blank check sale coupon (with limitations)where we can have a resources of our choosing for 40% off  Then they would sell more Swaggart and ICC.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:07 AM

In my opinion there really isn't much of a choice in the entire ballot.  There is Berkhouwer, but I already have Calvin.  There are a couple of minor figures, but for the most part, nada.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:16 AM

Paul Golder:
That being said, he does have a following, and to pit him against a reformist, (under circumstance where Reformed theology is status quo), seems unreasonable.

If they had pitted him against Ray Comfort, and Swaggart won, eventually Swaggart would have to face off with a Reformist. But pitting him against Sproul was just plain mean. There are other Reformists with weaker following than Sproul. I guess they did not want to pair off  Sproul against an equally strong author because they didn't want to drop a good selling author in the first round (less sales.)

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:19 AM

Super Tramp:
didn't want to drop a good selling author in the first round (less sales.)

Ah, a method to the March Madness Wink

Posts 10813
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:22 AM

Super Tramp:
 If they had pitted him against Ray Comfort, and Swaggart won

With that pairing, Swaggart would have received my vote Geeked.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:20 PM

Jack Caviness:
With that pairing, Swaggart would have received my vote Geeked.

Wink I saw your review of Ray Comfort's book. Do you think it is possible Comfort is unaware of the other list of commandments? Years ago my kids bought a plaque with the "other" ten commandments on it and pointed out the difference from the Exodus list. My conclusion at the time was the same thing Ray Comfort concluded, and I reached it all on my own. I was ignorant until our good friend educated me. Maybe Ray.....

Besides Ray Comfort's current assertion I still like several of his books. I would buy The School of Evangelism, if I didn't already have it. 

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:41 PM

The problem with Swaggart is not that he is Pentecostal.  There are many Pentecostals I respect.  (Jack Hayford and the late David Wilkerson are examples.)  The problem is that both this man's lifestyle and scholarship have been terrible.  His moral failings, along with the opulent lifestyle, are well documented.  Then there is the fact that he makes statements like "the original Greek says", and then says something that would make a first semester Greek student laugh out loud.  The man's a fraud, plain and simple. I could never vote for him.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:42 PM

It might help if you knew which works were going to be discounted before you voted. As things currently are, people probably just vote for their favorite authors even though they probably own a lot of books by those authors already. People might vote for other authors if they saw that something they didn't already own would be discounted.

And let's not forget that upsets are the essence of March Madness, but I don't know if we'll see too many upsets under the current system. However, knowing in advance which works would be for sale might actually give Swaggart a chance of upsetting Sproul! Smile

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:53 PM

George Somsel:

In my opinion there really isn't much of a choice in the entire ballot.  There is Berkhouwer, but I already have Calvin.  There are a couple of minor figures, but for the most part, nada.

George, I have to agree.  I already have most of the writers that would interest me, such as Martyn Lloyd-Jones, James Boice, N. T. Wright, etc.  I wonder what resources by these writers will be available - all?  some?

There is not much for me to get excited about.  Then, again, that is probably good as I don't have much money to invest in resources now any way.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 258
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:57 PM

Like a few others here, I'm not a huge fan of Swaggart (and I am a conservative Pentecostal).  But I also think it was ridiculous to pair him off with Sproul, and I have been echoing for quite some time now what others in this thread have said - namely, that Logos needs to add more Pentecostal material to their offerings.  The ratio of Reformed material to Pentecostal material is not even close to being balanced. 

Posts 9530
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 2:25 PM

I was shocked by this pairing too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS