Free book if you bid *anything* on it, no matter what, in Community Pricing

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:07 PM

Yup, that's right, it doesn't matter what you bid. The higher the better, actually, because that will make it more likely you'll actually get it for free. Seems counter-intuitive, but Logos is having a special deal that whoever bids on this book in CP in the month of March will get it for free if and only if it gets enough bids to go over the 100% mark to cover the cost of production. That means the more bids the merrier, and it doesn't matter what you bid because you won't pay a penny. However if you don't bid high enough, it might not go over 100%, and then nobody will get it for free.

So help each other out and bid on it if it's a book you would want to have for free. Bid the max, go ahead, it doesn't hurt. You won't have to pay a thing anyway.

If it doesn't go over the top by the end of March, no harm done, you can cancel your bid, or change it back down to what you'd really be willing to pay. Gaming the system this way will not at all affect Logos's earnings because they are not going to charge anyone who bids on it in March ANYTHING if it goes over the top. And if it doesn't go over the top, then it's just like any other CP title, back to the drawing board.

Let's see if we can make this happen. Bid now.

http://www.logos.com/product/30394/the-messages-of-the-books 

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:10 PM

I'm in at 8.00. Thought that I had already done it. Who wants a free book?

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:41 PM

For a free book, this seems to be moving very slowly.  Let's get moving ASAP.

I bid $34 (the maximum allowed on CP for this item), but am not willing to pay this much for it.  As Rosie indicated elsewhere, we can pull our bids if the book does not go into development in March.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9831
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:43 PM

Floyd Johnson:
For a free book, this seems to be moving very slowly.

I agree. What's with that?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:49 PM

Currently $ 8 bids have 40 % progress.  If all existing $ 8 bids were increased to $ 20, then 100 % of projected publication cost would be covered.  Albeit March Madness would turn 100 % bidding completion into FREE.

Likewise have placed a $ 34 bid (Madness) for March.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:58 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Currently $ 8 bids have 40 % progress.  If all existing $ 8 bids were increased to $ 20, then 100 % of projected publication cost would be covered.

Let's try it as an experiment, just for today:

If you've already bid $8 on this, bump bid up to $20 (or higher) and see what happens to the chart. After a couple of days you can move your bid back down if you want; this is just to see whether the math would work out as KS4J predicts.

Posts 4167
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:16 PM

I'm at 20$

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:34 PM

I've moved mine to twenty also.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:49 PM

why move it to just $20? move it all the way to $32! Think about it - the progress is calculated based on covering the cost of production, so if everyone bids the highest amount, production cost would be met very soon (over 50% faster than by bidding just $20). And since there is a promise that you get it for free, there is no risk by bidding the highest amount!!!

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:50 PM

toughski:

why move it to just $20? move it all the way to $32! Think about it - the progress is calculated based on covering the cost of production, so if everyone bids the highest amount, production cost would be met very soon (over 50% faster than by bidding just $20). And since there is a promise that you get it for free, there is no risk by bidding the highest amount!!!

Yes

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:51 PM

toughski:

Ok, I moved it to thirty four dollars. Really would like to see more people bid on community prices, especially the dictionaries, encyclopedias and the life material. 

Posts 4167
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:01 PM

This is a two edged sword... The higher we bid, the faster this pre-pub closes. HOWEVER the higher we bid the fewer people have a chance to get involved.

IF we want more bidders over all - then we keep the price lower (thus hopefully more involvement in other pre-pubs). If we want this book to close sooner, then we bid the max. I think something in the middle is appropriate.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:16 PM

Noticed $ 8 bids have a lot of bidders along with $ 10 and more currently being less than 10 % progress:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:37 PM

abondservant:

This is a two edged sword... The higher we bid, the faster this pre-pub closes. HOWEVER the higher we bid the fewer people have a chance to get involved.

IF we want more bidders over all - then we keep the price lower (thus hopefully more involvement in other pre-pubs). If we want this book to close sooner, then we bid the max. I think something in the middle is appropriate.

That's a good policy in general in CP, but for this one where it's free to all bidders in March (if it goes over in March), then our incentive is to get it over sooner rather than later (we've got 24 days left to do that) and to encourage everyone to bid this month so that as many people as possible can get it for free. There would be no benefit to leaving it around at less that 100% beyond the end of March in the hopes of giving more of a chance to other CP titles, because people do not need to budget for this one if they bid in March. I repeat, it will be FREE. It won't compete with any other CP titles. We can tweak our bids back down later in the month if it looks like this is going to go over 100% too soon and some people will miss out on getting it for free who might otherwise be able to. But right now there's no danger of that happening. So go bid high with wild abandon, and advertise about it on your social networks. Free book to all who will dare to bid on it. This kind of reminds me of the Prisoner's Dilemma, or multiplayer dilemmas in game theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma#Multiplayer_dilemmas
Posts 4167
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:19 PM

Here is the thing though - its the 8th (currently) AND its what? 50%?

I suspect Logos motivations for releasing this book is to bring more people into the CP bidding family.

Closing this too early by artificially bidding the max will foil that. More CP bidders = the potential lower CP prices.

If this one book is your priority - bid high. Close it today. If improving program participation, and lowering CP prices in general is your priority (more bids = lower prices + less time in cp).

*shrug* I firmly believe based upon the current rate of participation recruitment, this book will close before the end of the month, one way or the other.

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 10:56 PM

I actually don't particularly care about this book. I'll take anything if it's free, though.

However I like drumming up buzz of excitement on the forums because I think it draws in more people, more curiosity. There is a delicate balance, though, which you rightly point out. If the excitement goes by too quickly, then people who don't check in on the forums daily might miss seeing it. But keeping a thread like this alive with buzzing makes it pop back up to the active threads list. I was hoping that giving it an intriguing subject like this would draw in more people who were unfamiliar with CP. So yes, my goal is ultimately to bring more people into the CP bidding family.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:36 AM

If forum readers and posters bid $ 34 (max), then should see bidding chart at $ 34 rise up.  The line from $ 10 to $ 34 is fairly flat while $ 8 has a peak that has gone up.  Hovering mouse over $ 34 bid shows a pop-up:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 8:01 AM

Rosie Perera:
I was hoping that giving it an intriguing subject like this would draw in more people who were unfamiliar with CP.

Except you got so excited that you forgot to consider that your heading isn't correct.Wink It's not free if you bid '*anything*, no matter what'. The bid has to be successful. Those who bid $2 will probably lose out. And if the peak goes to $34, those at $8 might lose out too. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 8:40 AM

Rosie and all, thanks for bringing attention to this!

A couple small differences from what you stated though, Rosie: first, only successful bidders will get it for free. Right now, the suggested bid is $8 — if it crosses at $8, anyone who bids less than $8 won't get it for free. So make sure you're bidding as you normally would on a book you want! Second, we will make sure this book goes into production; this one's on us! So don't worry about hitting 100% with this... we're simply trying to show users who are new to Community Pricing how to best use the program.

Hope this helps!

Edit: as I write this, I see that FGH has the right idea with the bidding Smile

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:30 AM

Jonathan Watson:
we will make sure this book goes into production; this one's on us! So don't worry about hitting 100%

Jonathan, how do you expect to teach people how CP works if

a) you intend to leave the book up all March, even if it crosses the line much sooner, and

b) you intend to close it at the end of March, even if it hasn't reached 100% by then?

The more 'special rules' you put in place, the less it will be like a normal CP, and the less people will learn and understand.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS