Delay before newly purchased resource downloads

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:32 PM

In Logos 5, I'm typically seeing a delay of 6 - 16 hours before a resource I purchased arrives in my Logos library. Is anyone else experiencing this?

They used to download within minutes. Now, even if I use UPDATE NOW and restart Logos, I'm told, "Updates were found and will be downloaded automatically." I find myself having to read them on my Android phone if I need the info now. They come through eventually.

All Program Settings under Internet are set to Yes. Don't know if living on the wrong side of the world (Australia) is a factor. Logos 5.0b SR-1 (5.0.2.0727).

Any experiences (same, opposite) would be helpful to know.

Posts 10212
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:46 PM

I get mine after the email, maybe 30-45 seconds or so? It looks like the email is a trigger. I'm in Arizona.

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:32 PM

Allen Browne:
Any experiences (same, opposite) would be helpful to know.

In Oz, generally get mine within a couple of hours at most

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 1:15 AM

I've had it take a couple of hours before. It should be instantaneous. I'm used to buying things online (e.g., Kindle Books) and having them be available immediately. Wish Logos could get this sorted so we don't have to wait. It makes people think something didn't work. And it's so last decade...

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:16 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The book I bought between 10 and 11am (local time) was still not availalbe by 6pm (despite several restarts and UPDATE NOWs). Just switched on again at 9pm, and it is coming through now.

Posts 10212
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:11 AM

Well, I 'know the feeling'. I got a Logos email yesterday so I thought it was the download email. Of course I never read; why bother? (It was 'we're about to ship in a few minutes. Are you sure you paid your credit card last month?' email.)  But for about an hour I played around with Logos/PC until I discovered my error.

My guess is Amazon moves the data across their servers, and Logos is paying low priority (top being instantaneous on-line).  That's not a hit on Logos per se, since they're paying the freight for all the updates.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 7:15 AM

In direct reply: I usually get mine within a few minutes US time

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 8:25 AM

Hi Allen,

I haven't seen this type of delay unless the Automatic Download setting has been set to a schedule. You'll notice in Tools > Program Settings, you have an option to "Automatically download updates". When set to "yes", another option appears:

"Between _______ and ________."

This should be set to "Between Midnight and Midnight" to enable truly automatic (immediate) updates, otherwise Logos will wait to download until it reaches the specified download window (at which time Logos must also be open). I set mine to download outside of business hours:

I apologize if this is overly obvious, but if you wouldn't mind checking your settings, it will help me troubleshoot the problem if I can check that off the list of possibilities.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:56 PM

Mike (Tech Support):

You'll notice in Tools > Program Settings, you have an option to "Automatically download updates". When set to "yes", another option appears:

"Between _______ and ________."

Thanks, for ths suggestion, Mike. It's set for anytime:

Not sure what else I can do, so I'll wait a few weeks and see if anything changes.

Thanks also for other responses.

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 6:39 AM

Mike (Tech Support):
This should be set to "Between Midnight and Midnight"

Thinking further on this suggestion, Mike, I wondered if my settings could have got out of synch somehow.

So, I altered the setting to between 1am and 11pm, closed Logos 5, started it again, changed the setting back to Midnight - Midnight. Presumably this pushes the setting up to the cloud. Will see if it makes any difference next time I purchase something.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 8:32 AM

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:04 PM

Mike (Tech Support):
Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

Actually, Mike. Altering the download times (in Program Settings), and then setting them back does seem to have worked.

Just bought one of Jimmy Dunn's books (from the March Madness sale), and it came through within minutes (in response to an UPDATE NOW command).

Thanks for the suggestion that seems to have identified the cause. Appreciated.

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:01 AM

Yep: Bought another Vyros freebie today, and it came through quickly as well.

So this is worth keeping in mind: an inordinate delay of downloading (several hours) could be due to Program Settings | Download Update times being inconsistent with the settings on the server.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:56 AM

Glad it's working now. Let us know if you run into trouble with this again.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support

Posts 3132
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:26 PM

Mine is a matter of minutes as well. Once I get my email confirmation it loads.

mm.

mm.

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:39 PM

In case anyone else is researching this in future, I suspect this has turned out to be a network issue. When I'm on the church's network, new resources don't come through for some reason. They come through when I'm on my home network.

Today I waited several hours for a resource to come through without success. Disconnected the CAT5, and tried tethering to my Android phone, and it came through straight away.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:42 AM

I've had my settings from 6AM to 6PM and closing down Logos and hauling it back up again immediately (or if not sooner) the download begins.

Just for curiosity, I'm going to set it from midnight till midnight to midnight. I mean, if everything is working correctly, why not try and mess things up. So I'll do just that to see what happens.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS