Advanced Searching Help

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:28 PM

I am trying to find every reference to resurrection in Paul's Epistles. This would include his use of "anastasis" (resurrection) as well as words like "anistemi" (to rise) whenever they are referring to bodily resurrection. Not having any luck with this at all. Please help!

Posts 25115
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 3:52 PM

Hi Corby

Does the screenshot below help?

You will need to discount the results which don't relate to bodily resurrection - such as 1 Cor 10:7

Note I have defined "Pauline Letters" which is used in the passage selector as "Romans-Philemon"

Does this help?

Graham 

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:20 PM

Graham,

Thanks for the quick reply. It does help. I was hoping LOGOS 5 had a way to find all the relevant passages that carried the "sense" of bodily resurrection without having to list out all the relevant lemmas and then weed out the results that don't carry the sense. For example, I would need to add "ἐγείρω" to your search too. And I suppose more lemmas than that as well.

But this is what I will have to do, if there is no other way.

Your way is definitely better than what I was doing!

Posts 25115
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:56 PM

Hi Corby

Corby Amos:
. I was hoping LOGOS 5 had a way to find all the relevant passages that carried the "sense" of bodily resurrection without having to list out all the relevant lemmas and then weed out the results that don't carry the sense

I understand what you are trying to do now - thanks for the clarification.

The Bible Sense Lexicon (in L5) is intended to help with this sort of query. It does convey sense information (currently for nouns) but - unfortunately - at the moment it is not searchable.

(I would have posted a screenshot but, for some reason, the forum editor isn't allowing me to do so at the moment)

Graham

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:07 PM

Corby Amos:

Graham,

Thanks for the quick reply. It does help. I was hoping LOGOS 5 had a way to find all the relevant passages that carried the "sense" of bodily resurrection without having to list out all the relevant lemmas and then weed out the results that don't carry the sense. For example, I would need to add "ἐγείρω" to your search too. And I suppose more lemmas than that as well.

But this is what I will have to do, if there is no other way.

Your way is definitely better than what I was doing!

I read your post , I think it is possible but I am a little pressed for time also your two words have the same root, so you may get confilicting results....ιστημι

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:15 PM

Good to know. Thanks again!

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:29 PM

Corby Amos:

Good to know. Thanks again!

by the way what is your preferred version of use?

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:11 PM

Corby Amos:

I am trying to find every reference to resurrection in Paul's Epistles. This would include his use of "anastasis" (resurrection) as well as words like "anistemi" (to rise) whenever they are referring to bodily resurrection. Not having any luck with this at all. Please help!

First let’s give credit where credit is due, Thank-you Mark Barnes for showing me how to do this and that I can share it w/others.

Shall we:

-here is the search that you want: you should be able to copy/paste this into the ‘search’ ‘bible’ ‘preferred interlinear’   <root = lbs/el/ιστημι>   text box, “enter”

-next the easiest way to get to the “root” is to scroll over and find the “ROOT” tab/label

-mouse hold/drag “FORM” then “ROOT” to the left and just above the rest of the tabs/labels [you should get a yellow/orange bar] then drop it

-you will note than when you click either you get the ‘descending/ascending’ arrow at the right end of the tab you just clicked…..

-you can either scroll down to find your word  ἀνίστημι  -or-  ἀνάστασις 

In this you will get just those verses that have your word(s)

-or you can click the arrow and minimize [this would make a great suggestion to have ‘maximize/minimize’ arrows at the top….]

try this...under "analysis"

Posts 5
Corby Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:37 PM

Excellent...appreciate it.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:57 PM

Corby Amos:

Excellent...appreciate it.

No problem, the only thing I can't remember is how to get the verses of a particular word to show grouped. Maybe Mark is lurking about and can demonstrate.....

R4m

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS