MVP's job description/responsibilities

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:56 PM

Could someone point me to the page where there is more information about the MVP title? Or, if not, please perhaps try to answer the following questions I have.  BTW, I am not into titles but definitely into functions.  So, all of my questions pertain to functions and what to expect out of an MVP.  (I know what at MVP is in the NFL Cool)

Given there are several MVP's now with an iconic type label, what does an MVP now do that the individual hadn't been doing before getting the title?  Are there responsibilities that go with the title?  Are the MVP's kind of like forum moderators?  Was there a vote or were they appointed?  I am honestly surprised that there are a few beta testers left out who are extremely knowledgeable and thoroughly helpful to me who are not on the list.  Thanks for your help.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:10 PM

Joan Korte:

Could someone point me to the page where there is more information about the MVP title? Or, if not, please perhaps try to answer the following questions I have.  BTW, I am not into titles but definitely into functions.  So, all of my questions pertain to functions and what to expect out of an MVP.  (I know what at MVP is in the NFL Cool)

Given there are several MVP's now with an iconic type label, what does an MVP now do that the individual hadn't been doing before getting the title?  Are there responsibilities that go with the title?  Are the MVP's kind of like forum moderators?  Was there a vote or were they appointed?  I am honestly surprised that there are a few beta testers left out who are extremely knowledgeable and thoroughly helpful to me who are not on the list.  Thanks for your help.

I don't think there's anything secret about this. Many companies have MVP's that serve in their forums to help answer questions.

The invitation I got from Logos said they wanted to acknowledge our contributions to the forums (quantity and quality were factors), and to put a star under our names to "let people know that you're known for your quality posts and are a trustworthy source of information." They also asked that by accepting this honor that we abide by a few guidelines that I, at least, was already committed to (basically don't use your MVP status to undermine the company).

To answer your questions:

We were asked specifically to just keep doing what we've already been doing.

There are no added responsibilities outside of following the guidelines I mentioned above.

No we're not moderators. At least we haven't been asked specifically to do that.

We were appointed by Logos.

Apparently there were a few who were extended invitations who did not accept (yet?). I don't know who they may be. But I agree, there are some here who are just as qualified as those with the stars.

I had hoped that Logos would announce this change and explain it in their own words.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:26 PM

Rich,

That's a good answer to my questions.  I admire all of you and am really thankful for your help.  Sometimes I think you all deserve much more than "recognition".   And are almost Logos employees, at that.  Other forums I participate in have some individuals more knowledgeable and active but they do not have titles so I was just wondering.

However, there are times when I want an authoritative answer to a question and I know to put "Logos please answer" in the title to my post.

Thanks, again!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:30 PM

Joan Korte:
However, there are times when I want an authoritative answer to a question and I know to put "Logos please answer" in the title to my post.

I understand that need, and hope that by attempting to answer those types of question, I don't jump in where I'm not wanted (I'm sure the others feel that way too). We just want to help other Logos users as we are able.

However, the Logos employees are all working very hard to get my NIV reverse interlinear done before Christmas. So they may not respond much until then. Wink Actually, they are quite busy now and are choosing to spend their time working on the product rather than answering questions. That's a good priority, I think.

Though sometimes I think it would be great for us to see a bit more presence by Logos employees on this forum. And I've told them so. I'm sure it builds confidence in their company and their product.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:39 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
However, the Logos employees are all working very hard to get my NIV reverse interlinear done before Christmas. So they may not respond much until then. Wink

NO, they are busy working on getting Czech Bibles into the Logos before Christmas... The time is short so don't disturb them please Geeked

Bohuslav

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:41 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
NO, they are busy working on getting Czech Bibles into the Logos before Christmas... The time is short so don't disturb them please Geeked

Why do you want the Czech Bible? The KJV is the inspired one, you should just work from there. The Bible in your own tongue...who came up with that idea?

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:42 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Though sometimes I think it would be great for us to see a bit more presence by Logos employees on this forum. And I've told them so. I'm sure it builds confidence in their company and their product.

I could not agree with you more and think it could be a mistake if there is not more presence of Logos employees due to the new users who are rightfully dismayed with issues they have with the software.  Other users can try to assuage their frustration/consternations but the "big picture" approach is what does work.  And taking the dialogue to a higher level than users cannot effectively do.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:55 PM

Philip Spitzer:
Why do you want the Czech Bible? The KJV is the inspired one, you should just work from there. The Bible in your own tongue...who came up with that idea?

Yea, I heard that already. If KJV was good enough for the Apostle Paul, why it would not be good enough for all others Big Smile  By the way, Czech Bible of Kralitz was translated by Unitas Fratrum scholars in 1579 from the original languages and with the translation apparatus. Excellent work. Yes, but let's go back to the KJV and Apostle Paul Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 2:57 PM

Joan Korte:
And taking the dialogue to a higher level than users cannot effectively do.

You are right. Especially that Logos now directs new customers very often to the forum for getting help with their product.

Bohuslav

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 3:17 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
  By the way, Czech Bible of Kralitz was translated by Unitas Fratrum scholars in 1579 from the original languages and with the translation apparatus.

1579! It must have been the KJV's rough draft. Wink

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 3:37 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Philip Spitzer:

Yea, I heard that already. If KJV was good enough for the Apostle Paul, why it would not be good enough for all others Big Smile  By the way, Czech Bible of Kralitz was translated by Unitas Fratrum scholars in 1579 from the original languages and with the translation apparatus. Excellent work. Yes, but let's go back to the KJV and Apostle Paul Smile

Someone misinformed you -- or rather, they didn't give you complete information.  The KJV was good enough for MOSES.  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 5:58 PM

Philip Spitzer:
The Bible in your own tongue...who came up with that idea?
Yeah, aren't all the cool scholars using interlinears these days?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:40 AM

Thomas Black:

Philip Spitzer:

Well, I know at least one who still refuses to get enlighten. Because I don't want to call any names, I will not mention Georg Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 19229
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:50 AM

Thomas Black:

Philip Spitzer:

The really cool scholars are reading it just in the original languages without the crutch of the English translations at all.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:54 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thomas Black:

Philip Spitzer:

The really cool scholars are reading it just in the original languages without the crutch of the English translations at all.

Yea, it was just about the time to bring this sobering voice here. Otherwise Georg would come with his fierce comment on the interlinears... Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 6:10 AM

Apparently we've all discovered what the MVP's excel at: thread hijacking.  Fortunately, there is a thread for that: The correct way to Hijack a thread

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 6:43 AM

Thomas Black:

Apparently we've all discovered what the MVP's excel at:

Excel at jocularity?  inane humor?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 7:37 AM

Joan Korte:
inane humor?
They're on to me!

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 12:40 PM

re: MVP status

Just remember that a "white star on an orange background" is no guarantee of having the correct answers ...

JRS has left the building.

Posts 1142
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:19 PM

JRS,

This is what Rich quoted when I asked about the MVP in the first post of this thread:

"you're known for your quality posts and are a trustworthy source of information"

If you are indeed a trustworthy source of information, then I do want/expect correct answers.  I don't mean to sound hard but this is what the statement means to me.  In effect because Logos staff are busy working on program issues, then MVP's are designated to help us and answer questions.  I guess I think MVP's really do have more responsibility than other users.  Confused

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS