Layouts save automatically as snapshots. How to disable automatic saving?

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
Karen Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 12:38 PM

Jacob Hantla:
So I really appreciate the ability to be able to flip back in history...not just where a particular resource was open to, but to what my screen and the sum of all my resources was open to. 

That's a valid point.

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 12:53 PM

I agree with Brian.  I'd like to see the ability to turn off auto-snapshots (and also history tracking!).  At the very least I don't want endless data of either one stored on my drive because no matter how cheap storage is or how much you have it will fill up at some point and degrade performance.  At best, I'd like the choice on whether or not it is stored at all.  Hard drives are the slowest piece of hardware in the system, between bandwidth (how fast the data travels to the drive) and latency (time the disk needs to rotate the correct sector into place to start writing there).  I'd like to avoid that bottleneck in something that's a convenience I don't need for the way I use the system.  With small writes, bandwidth is not a big deal but latency is always an issue.  I think the data is also sent back to the cloud.  One less thing to take up bandwidth and space at Logos!

Making this change is fairly simple to program.  It's not likely that the programmers who have created and continue to enhance Logos 4 would introduce a serious bug with such a change.  I have faith in them!

This is obviously a wish list item, after the system is mature and stable, but one I'd be glad to see at some point.

People seem to have surprisingly strong opinions on this!  I'm not trying to stir that up.  Just wanted to cast my Yea vote so Logos would know I like the idea and say why I'm behind it.

Kaye

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 1:37 PM

I see no reason for the Logos programmers to waste time eliminating a feature that some of us find useful, especially when it is so easy to ignore if you don't want to use it. It does not obscure saved layouts, it does not fill up gigabytes of disk space, and it provides a useful history. I just wanted to cast my vote for Logos to leave the auto save feature as it is.

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:20 PM

I side with Jacob on this one. I have wanted to go back to a layout I had before that I didn't save and name, because I didn't realize its importance at the time. Likewise, I like the history because I've gone back to searches and guides I remember using to see what I did or how it worked.

However, I see the arguments on the other side and don't want it saved "ad infinitum." The option to have it saved or not saved is reasonable, IMHO. At the least an option to have it saved for a certain period of time or to a certain size (like most browser histories or caches) would be acceptable to me.

Chris

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:27 PM

Chris Elford:
At the least an option to have it saved for a certain period of time or to a certain size (like most browser histories or caches) would be acceptable to me.

This gets my vote...

Or, is this already built in to the program? If not, it's a pretty big design flaw.....

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:32 PM

Damian McGrath:

Chris Elford:
At the least an option to have it saved for a certain period of time or to a certain size (like most browser histories or caches) would be acceptable to me.

This gets my vote...

Or, is this already built in to the program? If not, it's a pretty big design flaw.....

Looks to me that it is about a week. I have saved and named layouts back to Sept. (L4 secret beta days - sounds like a blue light special), but no Unnamed ones past Monday.

In History, there are no dates, but I think it goes longer - maybe a certain number???

Chris

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:33 PM

Damian McGrath:

Chris Elford:

This gets my vote...

My layouts list is fairly short - only shows a few weeks, plus some older ones that are saved.  I've been using the program more than that.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 39
Brian Lopez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 3:39 PM

JackCaviness,

You did not read the previous posts. No one we want the feature to be removed. We said we want the feature to be turned on or off in the settings of L4; To accommodate either. I sometimes would want it on and other times off.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:56 PM

Angry

Well, I discovered a reason for LEAVING the layouts alone... was trying to be conscientious & clean them up. Here's what I discovered (and confirmed, accidentally).

Deleting from the list of saved layouts will ALSO delete from your list of named layouts, WITHOUT TELLING / WARNING us.

Now I'll have to recreate my favorite layout.

Big Smile

On the other hand, John Fidel & Mark Barnes (I think) have given me new ideas for creating a layout that takes better advantage of L4 & that I think I'll like even better than my former favorite named layout--which essentially preserved my L3 thinking on how to do work... Surprise

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:04 PM

Bill Stonebraker:

Angry

Well, I discovered a reason for LEAVING the layouts alone... was trying to be conscientious & clean them up. Here's what I discovered (and confirmed, accidentally).

Deleting from the list of saved layouts will ALSO delete from your list of named layouts, WITHOUT TELLING / WARNING us.

That's no good! If you rename a layout, it should either create a copy of it and leave the timestamp named one alone, or remove it from your timestamp saved layouts list. Once you name it, you're not going to go looking for it by date anymore so it doesn't need to be in that list, and it only opens people up to the potential for this disaster if they're trying to clean up that list.

Posts 38
jcc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:09 PM
The type of thinking of leaving it in without providing the option of turning off because one thinks that everybody should have them is the type of thinking that makes logos so slow. I don't know if this particular issue causes any performance problems. I can imagine it might cause performance problems since it have to save to disk which can cause problems if the disk is busy with something else, in addition, sometimes it have to sync up with internet. Remember is not the actual speed that counts, but the perception of speed. If saving the layout constantly in the background means that extra .5-1 sec delay of updating something on the screen which otherwise should have been a simple opening up a new window, it would seem slow to the user. Even if this particular issue isn't the cause of what's making logos seems so slow, the ability to customize it to different people's style is always a good thing. People who likes it keeps it, people who don't can turn them off. If you want to follow Microsoft's example, microsoft word does allow people to turn off autosaving. (Which I do because sometimes, I'm typing something, and when it saves, it give that 1 sec lag which is really annoying.)
Posts 35573
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:57 PM

Bill Stonebraker:

Do you mean that when you deleted a named layout on the "recent" (right) side it also deleted that same named layout on the "named" (left) side? While I wouldn't have assumed that, but I don't consider it problematic. However, if you mean that you deleted unnamed (snapshot) layouts it affects the named layout, then there should be a major bug report.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:52 PM

MJ. Smith:
when you deleted a named layout on the "recent" (right) side it also deleted that same named layout on the "named" (left) side?

Yes. I didn't notice that newly named layouts went onto the left side AND the right side when they suddenly appeared on the left... I thought they were all on the left. Sad

For me, trying to manage that list isn't worth the risk of deleting something I care about... Nor is it intuitively obvious why named layouts appear on both sides, either. Tongue Tied

Thanks, Martha!

Bill

Nevertheless,

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:59 PM

Bill Stonebraker:
was trying to be conscientious & clean them up.
why do they need "cleaned up"? 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:07 PM

Bill Stonebraker:
Yes. I didn't notice that newly named layouts went onto the left side AND the right side when they suddenly appeared on the left... I thought they were all on the left.
Are these labels different in te windows version?

Left side is Named Layouts and right side is Recently used.

Bill Stonebraker:
Nor is it intuitively obvious why named layouts appear on both sides, either. Tongue Tied
The named ones appear on the left side to indicate the last time you used that layout.. thus the idea of "recently" used layouts.

I did test out the delete thing and I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed.  Deleting a layout on the Right should NOT delete the Layout from the saved list on the left.  That, I agree,needs to be rectified.

Posts 35573
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:00 AM

Joe Miller:
Deleting a layout on the Right should NOT delete the Layout from the saved list on the left.  That, I agree,needs to be rectified.

I agree, specifically because of the confusion it caused.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 39
Brian Lopez | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 4:09 AM

Yes, deleting a named layout found in the recently used list should not delete the one on the left side, since it should only be a list of saved layouts, not the actual saved layout.

Thank you all to have kept up the discussion revolving around layouts. Cool

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:03 AM

MJ. Smith:

Bill Stonebraker:

Do you mean that when you deleted a named layout on the "recent" (right) side it also deleted that same named layout on the "named" (left) side? While I wouldn't have assumed that, but I don't consider it problematic. However, if you mean that you deleted unnamed (snapshot) layouts it affects the named layout, then there should be a major bug report.

I have reported this, thanks.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 3:22 PM

George Allakhverdyan:
have reported this, thanks.

Thanks, George!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:23 PM

George Allakhverdyan:
I have reported this, thanks.
Thank you.  I posted this on the Mac side as well, so I am glad this is a recognized bug and will get fixed Yes

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS