WORDsearch with Logos

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
Bob McCurley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:24 PM

Hi Drew-

I own both Logos and WordSearch and use both regularly.  I also took the Homiletics class that you are about to take.  You can't get some of the resources that are required for the class for Logos.  Although some of the other resources do overlap with Logos (depending on which library you own), I believe that the value you get in the WordSearch library is really quite good.  I do feel your pain, though, as I gulped at having to expend that kind of money when I already had a lot invested in Logos.

BTW, I actually end up week after week using the WordSearch software even more than Logos.  It is blazingly fast to use compared to Logos and I've found it to be also very user friendly and much more economical to gradually add resources.

Just my 2 cents...

Posts 5302
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:44 PM

abondservant:
. From what I've heard, the SBC cooperative program now owns Wordsearch. It just runs so BADLY on my computer.

Sorry to hear that it runs good on my mac with it;s crossover layer, and is fantastic on my old iMac running virtual PC runs even faster (Virtual PC 7 emulated a 686 running at 535 Mhz/ 512MB RAM). It amazes me that the current of Wordsearch (Version 10) runs so well on that old system. Libronix  3 ran horribly slow on it and I know Logos 4/5 would't even install if i tried.

-Dan

Posts 94
Ben Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 10:12 AM

Not a little late to the party on this thread but stumbled upon it looking up WORDsearch info. As an SBC pastor for 20 years and graduate of two SBC seminaries, not sure how Liberty benefits financially from Lifeway (as it seems the other way around). Unless LBU gets a cut from every WS purchase or if there's a Lifeway store on campus with a rental/inventory financial agreement? Otherwise, LBU is listed as "in partnership" with the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia (state SBC convention) but am unclear if that's financial in addition to theological and missional. 

The SBC (national convention), however, gets nary a dime, let alone "truckloads of cash", directly from Lifeway (formerly known as "The Sunday School Board" which folk used to call it until the big name change in the late-90s). 

Whatever Brinks trucks show up at the SBC Executive Committee offices in Nashville (for distribution to SBC mission and convention causes) are filled by local Southern Baptist congregations that give to the Cooperative Program -- and not Lifeway.

Now, if somebody could show me how to convert the Adrian Rogers Gold Collection from WS to Logos... 

Posts 5302
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 10:51 AM

Ben Bush:
Now, if somebody could show me how to convert the Adrian Rogers Gold Collection from WS to Logos... 

Convince Logos to buy word search... problem half solved.... Some companies like Accordance will offer crossgades (but even there it is only a 30% off unless the publisher has expressly set up an upgrade path I recently got an official crossgade there of Warren Wiersbe's complete Be Series having all the published volumes in Logos (I did that primarily because they included the Lamentations and Song of Songs commentaries not found in the printed Be series but only in the 6 Volume Bible Exposition series). Logos generally offers no discounts and the best thing I could suggest is find a buyer and repurchase in Logos (which I do not think is an option as I do not see books by Adrian Rogers in the Logos system). Alternatively with a little work by yourself you could copy and past the text out of WordSearch and put them into MW Word DOCX format and import them to Logos as personal books. At this point in time you would not have access to them on your mobile device but they would be thoroughly integrated into your Logos Library on your desktop machines.

-Dan

Posts 4
Daniel Shipton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 4:00 AM

I used logos years ago, and have been experimenting recently to see what's actually transitioning.  While Wordsearch is more PDF it is very usable and things remain open when program closes, books open easier.  Logos is highly expensive, it is harder to navigate, searching things brings up more useless information than in Wordsearch.  I think for those using and liking the cost and usability of Wordsearch this move to merge will be very disappointing.  I for one am considering just using my Wordsearch until it isn't usable in the future and then finding a more user friendly platform, or just going back to my book commentaries and notes.  I don't feel I should have to pay over $600 to get my full library back and be able to take sermon notes, when I was already able to do that on the WordSearch program.. The only writing ability in the downloadable free transition verison is for note into the text.  They have no basic document open beyond notes. Which is sad for a program made for study.

Posts 4
Daniel Shipton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 4:04 AM

I agree with you.  The learning curve from Wordsearch to Logos will be huge.

The Cost to be able to have the Silver or above for sermon writing is far to rich for this poor pastor.

I'm disappointed in the merger and the thought of loosing Wordsearch and my library.  I am looking for cheaper alternatives which may simply mean returning to books and Word.  

I pray you find what is needed for your classes.

Posts 28585
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 4:20 AM

Daniel Shipton:
I don't feel I should have to pay over $600 to get my full library back

Why would you have to? FL intends to bring the resources from Wordsearch over to Logos, which means that you would not be paying anything to "get your library back."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1710
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:34 AM

Daniel Shipton:
I don't feel I should have to pay over $600 to get my full library back and be able to take sermon notes, when I was already able to do that on the WordSearch program.. The only writing ability in the downloadable free transition verison is for note into the text.  They have no basic document open beyond notes. Which is sad for a program made for study.

You brought up a zombie thread from about five years ago. More recent information will be in the actual Wordsearch forum here.

Faithlife is a business that wants to sell you things. And they aggressively "suggestive sell" more books and other packages to you. More than a few threads have been written with people venting at how over the top the marketing can get, and speaking for myself, I have learned to basically ignore their recommendations, and instead figure out for myself how to wisely steward what I have. And while I don't appreciate the over the top marketing, I do understand the economic realities that they need to pay their bills too.

It is very easy to spend a LOT of money with Logos/Faithlife. But they also give a lot for free:

1) They upgrade the program for free. When an upgrade comes out, often they will hold off a few months on making the new version freely available, but the old one is still fully supported.

2) They give web access to your library for free - including your notes.

3) They give you free books every month if you go to the relevant web page.

My understanding is that Wordsearch users are getting their all their Wordsearch library of books converted into Logos for free - so you keep your books. The few books that were in my Wordsearch account that I haven't used in years were added to my Logos account for free already. So you get to keep the books in the transition.

The way Logos does things, books are one thing - and datasets are another. What are datasets? Well - any set of data that makes Logos resources work better together behind the scenes. I will fully admit that I have been a Logos user so long that I have lots of datasets included from various packages over the years - many of which I don't use or definitely don't use fully. I admit that I don't know the details about what if any datasets you are given in transition. I did see a half price Logos Fundamentals package and a few other discounts. And if you are willing to pay by the year, there is Faithlife Connect.

You are obviously upset at how Logos handles note taking. I will admit that this feature was a bit behind the others for a while - and so many of us use a separate program like OneNote instead. But within Logos you can attach a note to a passage in a resource (eg - a bible verse of your favorite bible) - as well as to a reference (eg. the the bible verse of all your bibles). In my bible study, I do try to attach what I learned about the text to the text itself, and so I am confused as to what types of notes you are trying to make and cannot within Logos. In short, what are your sermon notes other than notes on the text being preached? If you can explain better what you want to do, it is quite likely that someone will be able to tell you exactly what datasets you would need to do it - if indeed Logos can do it. And it certainly will not cost $600.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2187
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 10:29 AM

Daniel Shipton:
The Cost to be able to have the Silver or above for sermon writing is far to rich for this poor pastor.

The cost for "silver or above" is not just for sermon writing. it would also include many resources you do not currently have.

other options (f you do not believe you would benefit from additional resources) are https://www.logos.com/product/165935 or a monthly subscription to https://www.logos.com/product/168691/faithlife-connect-essentials 

For my own experience, I write my sermon in another Word processor then copy-and-paste into the Sermon Editor for 2 reasons: 1) it makes my sermon material searchable in the Logos search engine, and 2) it facilitates the production of slides for presentation. The Sermon Editor is much more than a note-taking panel.

I am of the impression that Faithlife wants to please the migration of new customers. The upgrade discount (50%?) is indication of this desire. A call to sales may pleasantly surprise you [and NOT cost $600!]

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS