WORDsearch with Logos

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:15 PM

Kevin Maples:

Room4more:
If you have never used it how do you know?

I just haven't been impressed at all with WORDsearch. So I'm not interested in trying anything else in it. I'm sticking with Logos. 

BTW: How did you know I've never driven a corvette? Smile

I don't. I was going to use hummer, but then more people have test driven corvettes that hummer's....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:21 PM

Room4more:
I was going to use hummer

I've have ridden in a hummer, a member of my church drives one. :) 

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:29 PM

a little off topic, I have and driven. they are nice but I'll keep my chopped jeep. he did not want to 'scratch' his paint.....if I can't take it into the woods[off road] it will probably sit out front w/FOR SALE.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:40 PM

Room4more:

Paul Golder:

Kevin Maples:

Paul Golder:
The word processor generates html flies which are portable and easily submitted for grading.

Can't you do the same with Microsoft Word?

Obviously you can, hence the design philosophy of Logos.

Although one does gain an interactive relationship using the internal WS word processor that would be harder to achieve with Word.

What does the underscore mean? You lost me on that one....

Underscores are representative of underlining for emphasis Big Smile

Seriously though, without getting deep into the features of another program there are a few things, like automatic verse linking (not unlike notes in Logos), and direct customizable links to any area of any resource in the program.

It's rather like an easy to use version of Logos notes, if Logos notes could also function "standalone" and had more formatting options and speed, and flexibility, and...

But it is a quite simplistic wp when compared to Word.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:06 PM

Room4more:
[where's LaRosa?, he needs to comment here...........]

I'm here...

To answer the question, the word processor in WORDsearch is basically akin to what a notes document is in Logos. It can hyperlink Scripture so that you can hover over it. It's a place for a user to make notes & annotations or collection information.

Other than that, there's not much more that I can add to the discussion.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 564
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 10:03 AM

Kevin Maples:
I haven't used that feature in WORDsearch, so I don't really know how interactive it is. I doubt that it would be enough to justify using WORDsearch instead of Logos. 

I have a small WS package but I too find the Logos platform much more enjoyable to use. That said, the one feature that I go back to WS for on occasion is the Bible word audio pronunciation feature. It is pretty nice when I am discussing passages in Sunday School that contain a lot of unusual place names or people names. 

The closest I can duplicate this feature right now in Logos is to prioritize "That's Easy for You to Say" and use it in the right click menu, but it is not the same. And even though a request for such a feature similar to WS is in User Voice, it has not gained much traction. 

To me this is the one thing that WS has on L5 that I find useful to me. 

Posts 18
Drew Sartorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:12 AM

Well thanks for all the input guys! My class is only an 8 week class, not 16, so starting early wouldn't make me miss out on too much info, especially since the majority of the online classes is reading. With 8 weeks until I have to preach, I might as well wait to hear back from the school. From what I can tell, Logos is better, but the WS package wouldn't be all that bad. I guess that answered my question Big Smile

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:32 AM

FYI, Liberty does have an agreement w/WORDsearch to make it mandatory for students... much like many schools/seminaries make Logos a mandatory purchase.

Posts 28691
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:38 AM

LaRosa Johnson:
Liberty does have an agreement w/WORDsearch

Do you know how long that agreement has been in place?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:46 AM

I don't know, probably since Fall semester? I'm no longer a WS/LifeWay employee, so I can't say for sure.

Posts 28691
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:05 PM

LaRosa Johnson:
I don't know, probably since Fall semester?

That's close enough. I tried to get them to work something out with Logos a couple of years ago. Ugh. 

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:41 PM

Logos is definitely a superior product. From what I've heard, the SBC cooperative program now owns Wordsearch. It just runs so BADLY on my computer. They gave all of us a free copy as incoming students at an sbc seminary. Very basic in what was included (a few translations of the bible etc) - but I uninstalled it almost immediately. Any time I try to run it, something that wasn't coded properly for windows 8 causes error messages to pop up. Sometimes this led to a hard crash, sometimes not.

I suggested to my school that they go with Logos, but was told in light of the CP owning WordSearch, he wouldn't do anything that might harm their sales. Though he wouldn't force us to use it either. He is still persuaded that we all ought to maintain a dead tree library at the expense of a digital one.

Seems you were facing the same issue Alabama - Liberty is a southern baptist school after all is it not?

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 28691
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:51 PM

abondservant:
Liberty is a southern baptist school after all is it not?

No… and Yes. It's roots are completely independent, but there are a number of SBC "big wigs" on its board. It was also approved as the "approved" school for the SBCV when I was an undergrad. 

OFF TOPIC: Right now I am skimming both this forum & a Liberty one… there is a possibility that the Sun Belt conference will extend an invitation to Liberty, which would mean a move up to FBS in football. My birth sister attended Troy in Alabama, which is a Sun Belt school. I'd love to see them play. We'd both be cheering for our Alma Mater's, wearing Crimson Tide outfits. Big Smile

Posts 161

There is a file called Step2RTF.  It is an executable. It take the older step versions of quickverse or wordsearch and turns them into MS RTF format which is then easy to convert to DOCX.

Be glad to send it to you.

jwroberts99@q.com

I used on many of my old quickverse books and put them through the PBB in Logos.

Bill

https://sites.google.com/a/oldpaths.org.uk/oldpaths-the-sword-of-the-spiritthe-word-of-god--eph-617b/personal-books/jamesroberts-docx

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:26 PM

abondservant:
From what I've heard, the SBC cooperative program now owns Wordsearch.

Lifeway bought WORDsearch. The Cooperative Program is not an entity.

abondservant:
I suggested to my school that they go with Logos, but was told in light of the CP owning WordSearch, he wouldn't do anything that might harm their sales

I'm SBC, but do not see any need to give blind loyalty to Lifeway. If the two products were comparable, that might be reasonable. 

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:04 PM

I'm just repeating what I was told RE the CP.

Who advocated blind loyalty?
The school and the convention receives truck loads of cash as a result of lifeway. Its an I'll scratch your back, you ignore my products glaring flaws situation.

I am a Logos user, advocating for the use of Logos, and against WordSearch. Also as I understand it the acquisition was sometime last year, so perhaps they plan to step up their game. If so, maybe they are worth a look at some point in the future - especially since they seem to have some resources that Logos does not. If not, then my ambivalence remains.

That would be great Alabama! I have some step libraries that I was wondering what to do with.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 6:10 PM

abondservant:
Who advocated blind loyalty?
The school and the convention receives truck loads of cash as a result of lifeway. Its an I'll scratch your back, you ignore my products glaring flaws situation.

I'm in complete agreement with you. I feel as though Lifeway expects blind loyalty. 

abondservant:
perhaps they plan to step up their game

I was wondering the same. 

Posts 106
Gary Pajkos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 6:41 PM

Alright, enough of the Wordsearch bashing.  It has it's place.  It has an excellant reference search when you want to find what books have a reference to the verse you are on (in my opinion it's cross reference explorer is much better organized than Logos' Passage Guide).  WS also allowed you to create my own resources for searches, etc. long before Logos came up with the PB. And finally WS isn't as clunky and L3 was. Also WS has a way better note tool than Logos (Logos please take a lesson).

With that said, Logos is far and away a more superior product for studying Hebrew and Greek, has many more tools, and has many, many more resouces; especially significant ones. 

Bottom line, Logos 5 is top of the line, but WS has it's place and is easy and use.  I have and use both.  

Posts 3718
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 7:53 PM

Gary Pajkos:
Bottom line, Logos 5 is top of the line, but WS has it's place and is easy and use.  I have and use both.

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:58 PM

YesBottom line, Logos 5 is top of the line, but WS has it's place and is easy and use.  I have and use both.  Yes

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS