COPY-PASTE ABILITY

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Barry Whitlow | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:48 AM

I'm a pastor that just started using the FSB and I'm hoping I will be able able to us this great tool long-term. One of the things I do most... when I write blog posts, prepare sermons, do counseling, etc... is copy & paste a verse into what I am preparing/writing. When I SEARCH a verse in FSB it comes up in the left column in the PERFECT format to be quickly copied & pasted, however it appears that it cannot be copy & pasted from there, so I have to search it out in the bible text, copy the verse, then go back, copy the reference location, etc. It would REALLY help my work flow if I could just grab it from the search bar. -Thanks!  

tags: copy-paste; Bible search; search 

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:53 AM

You did not state which program you are using to read the FSB but on the PC the "TEXT" you see on the screen is not text but pictures of text.  That is Logos puts the screen in a Graphics mode and send pictures of letters to the screen. That is how they are able to paint all the resources where it would be very difficult in a text only mode.  The problem is that to copy and paste from a screen Logos has to give us permission.  We [the Logos Forum Community] have asked to be able to copy and paste from anywhere and been flatly told NO!   Sometimes you can export the screen and they claim that that is enough.  [[that is also why our PC sees Logos as a high end video game]]

And Welcome to the forum!

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

David Ames:

That is Logos puts the screen in a Graphics mode and send pictures of letters to the screen. ... We [the Logos Forum Community] have asked to be able to copy and paste from anywhere and been flatly told NO!

Strictly speaking, any text displayed by a Windows or Mac program is "pictures of letters" sent to the screen. This is not unique to Logos.

What (some) other programs do, in addition, is implement text selection. This involves:

• keeping track of the position of every letter sent to the screen
  • handling cases where multiple letters are combined into one "glyph" (you can sometimes see this in words like afflict, deflect, find, difficult)
  • handling mouse clicks & drags, repainting the screen when the mouse moves, to show the selection
  • handling keyboard shortcuts to move the caret, extend the selection, etc.
  • determine how to handle selection that crosses expanded/collapsed sections, tables, graphics, etc.

This logic is typically not available "for free"; it can take months of work to implement. We know how to do it: text selection inside resources is completely our own code. (And so we also know how complex it is.)

So it's not the case that there's some switch that would allow text selection that we're "flatly" just refusing to turn on. We've investigated the complexity of implementing this, and have decided (for now) to allow Export as a compromise solution. Implementing full selection and copy is an item on our feature backlog and while we know it would be popular, it hasn't yet met the bar for implementation. (Notes editing is a more complex task, and currently the one we're choosing to tackle.)

Posts 8
Barry Whitlow | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 8:43 AM

I'm on a Mac (Desktop, iPad, iPhone). As a pastor who prepares lots of messages the FSB won't do me much good if I have to stop and go to another program (like BibleGateway) to grab my verses to insert into my message. Kind of defeats the purpose for me, at least from an online Bible point of view. I'm still going to kick the FSB tires a bit longer, and I plan on also checking out the Olive Tree Study Bible.

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

Barry Whitlow:

When I SEARCH a verse in FSB it comes up in the left column in the PERFECT format to be quickly copied & pasted, however it appears that it cannot be copy & pasted from there, so I have to search it out in the bible text, copy the verse, then go back, copy the reference location, etc. It would REALLY help my work flow if I could just grab it from the search bar. -Thanks!  

I'm assuming you're using one of the mobile apps; are you on iPhone, iPad, or Android?

I can pass this suggestion along.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 8:58 AM

Barry Whitlow:

I'm on a Mac (Desktop, iPad, iPhone). As a pastor who prepares lots of messages the FSB won't do me much good if I have to stop and go to another program (like BibleGateway) to grab my verses to insert into my message. Kind of defeats the purpose for me, at least from an online Bible point of view.

Maybe some Mac users may be able to help you - on the PC there is no need to use a separate program for this and I think the Logos4Mac user community here would be up in arms if such basic functionality was lacking.

The iPhone app implementation sure is different than the Mac desktop program - but do you really prepare your sermons on the phone display? 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:55 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Strictly speaking, any text displayed by a Windows or Mac program is "pictures of letters" sent to the screen. This is not unique to Logos.

What (some) other programs do, in addition, is implement text selection. This involves:

Thanks for the details.  

Posts 8
Paul Watrous | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:57 AM

Can you explain the acronym "FSB" to me. I'm rather new at this. One problem I am having in the copy and paste selection is that the Scripture reference does appear in the citation. It used to, but not any more. I have to place the verse selections manually now. I am attending Bible college at Calvary Chapel Rialto. 

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:15 AM

Paul Watrous:

Can you explain the acronym "FSB" to me.

Faithlife Study Bible

https://faithlifebible.com/?utm_source=logos.com&utm_medium=search_result&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=logos  

Posts 8
Paul Watrous | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:38 AM

Oh! Yes! I discovered this resource amongst my 1000 books just recently. What a wealth of information, e.g., commentary, pictures and charts. I use it relentlessly in daily research in bible study. Tell me, when you paste Scripture anywhere, does the reference verse and chapter also appear where you paste it. It's not working for me no matter where I paste; logos documents, Word . . . even notepad.  

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:32 AM

Paul Watrous:

Tell me, when you paste Scripture anywhere, does the reference verse and chapter also appear where you paste it. 

56 And Mary remained with her about three months, and returned to her home.1
The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version; Second Catholic Edition (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2006), Lk 1:56.

57 When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child she gave birth to a son.1
New American Bible, Revised Edition (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Lk 1:57.

1:57–66 As Gabriel had predicted (v. 13), Zechariah and Elizabeth receive a son from God. While deciding the child’s name, Zechariah writes “John” on a tablet and regains his ability to speak (see v. 20). Consequently, all who hear of this event wonder about the child’s future, thereby igniting messianic hopes in that region (compare 3:15).
1 John D. Barry et al., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2012), Lk 1:57–66.

I Have the Bibles open and use highlight, ctrl-c to copy from Logos and ctrl-v to paste into WORD [on a PC]  the references are pasted as footnotes.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:40 AM

If you can't get it to display the passage details when you copy and paste, try the "Copy Bible Verses" under "Tools."  That should do it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:07 AM

thats what i use 

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:13 AM

i van right then copy and it will show reference , but only one verse , but what i want fixed is copy and paste from the tool that i have used for years and does not work anymore

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:15 AM

dosent paste anything from the tool option no matter what i paste into , it does not work

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:17 AM

used it for years , it worked , but now it dosent , 

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:19 AM

all i know is i used it for years and now it does not paste into anything

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS