How to search and exact word

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:51 AM

Hi all

I'm looking to search "oró" (this is "to pray" in english, past time) and not "oro" (which is gold in english). I have tried several ways... Can I limit the search by accent?

Thanks again

Posts 885
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:52 PM

Michael:

Hi all

I'm looking to search "oró" (this is "to pray" in english, past time) and not "oro" (which is gold in english).

Hi, Michael:

Here's how I searched:

1. Find a verse in your Spanish Bible (ie: RVA) that has oró in it.
    (The closest I could find on short notice was "oré" in Deuteronomy 9:20.)
  2. Click and drag your mouse to highlight the word.
  3. Press [Ctrl+C] ( or [Cmd+C] in Mac) to copy the text to your clipboard.
  4. Open a search pane (the magnifier on the menu bar)
  5. Press [Ctrl+V] to paste the word into the search field.
  6. If you don't see results, click the blue arrow at the right-hand end of the search field.

If these steps don't get what you needed, please come back and ask again.

Jack

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:31 PM

Michael:

Hi all

I'm looking to search "oró" (this is "to pray" in english, past time) and not "oro" (which is gold in english). I have tried several ways... Can I limit the search by accent?

Thanks again

You looking for the Latin or Greek?

oro, 1, pray.  DVNT

3735.      ὄρος ŏrŏs, or´-os; prob. from an obs.  ὄρω ŏrō (to rise or "rear;" perh. akin to 142; comp. 3733); a mountain (as lifting itself above the plain):— hill, mount (-ain).  NSDHGW

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 27912
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:35 PM

Michael:

Not by accent. The closest I got in an English interface was spanish:oro (it produced different results to latin:oro).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 28
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:13 PM

Thank you all for your time but it didnt work...

I get: 52 results in the NT (RV60) for "oró". It has "oro" and "oró"

oro: means a noun "gold" or a verb "to pray" (in present tense: Yo oro) this is in spanish

oró: means "to pray" (past tense)

I was looking only for "oró". What about those "term modifiers" in logos 3. Do they still work? In other words, can I limit the search by accents?

Thank you in advance

Posts 27912
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:35 PM

Michael:
can I limit the search by accents?

As I said above, No;  Logos 4/5 don't have those useful 'modifiers' from Libronix. The Search menu has some options, but Match Case & Match all Word Forms don't come close.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 28
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:00 PM

Thank you Dave

That's really sad. I have spent few thousands in a software incapable of doing what it did in previous versions. That's real progress!!!! :-(

:-( :-( :-( :-(

Posts 28
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:53 PM

the search worked perfect on Libronix! it found 9 instances only for "oró" I used exact(word)

I would recommend Logos to keep an eye in this issue since its frustrating to have a supposed improved software incapable of doing what it did before

Thank you

Posts 19640
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:40 PM

I have added a UserVoice item to get Logos's attention on this. Only my 3 votes there so far, but others please vote for it if you care about it:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/3846934-bring-back-accented-search-from-libronix-

Posts 28
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2013 8:50 PM

Thank you Rosie

I thought no one else will be interested on my issue. I went and vote too. I have found many other accented terms. So, now I go back to L3 for exact(word) searches. it's ridiculous!!!!

Posts 27912
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2013 9:48 PM

Michael:
. it's ridiculous!!!!

Quite agree, but according to Logos' stats (from Libronix) there were only a few users of "advanced" search techniques

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS