John Gill's Commentaries

Page 3 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 343

What happened to all of the interest there was for John Gill's Commentaries before they hit Pre-Pub?  It seems like right when it hit Pre-Pub, the interest waned.  Seems like everything I really want in Pre-Pub doesn't gather interest much.  I guess I may be one of those "unusual Christians" that has "unusual choice of books."

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6500

Jason Saling

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:44 AM

Jason,

I just happened to see this prepub again yesterday and wondered the same thing...I'd hate for this to become a "stalled-out-in-gathering-interest-land" sort of offering!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 3:00 AM

I think a lot of people are waiting to see what happens to the PBB program, since many similar books seem to be garnering about the same level of interest and are available for free in the Logos 3 format. The John Gill Collection in PDF is also available by another publisher for about 10% of the cost. Myself, I'm willing to pay for all of these books for the added functionality and because, IMHO, Logos has very little that compares with them so far. I am excited that the works of John Newton are now under development, but who knows how long before they are actually available.

http://www.cityonahillsgbc.org

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 11 2010 7:24 PM

Remember there is NOT a PBB version of his commentaries and many of these other works. If you are familiar with Gill you know there is no one like him. Logos NEEDS his works. IMO, this ought to have been already done considering all of the much lesser works already available and that are currently on pre-pub. I use Gill all of the time. He treats Christ and the Bible in a different way because He loves the grace of God and the Mediator of the Covenant, he is also one of the few commentators that believes that Jesus can never fail. Here's what is currently available in the PBB. Compare it with what is offered and you will see what a great set it is. Those of you who don't like the doctrine of election, etc. you'll find no better arguments for our position than Gill, except of course for the text itself. If you want to prove your point you need to read Gill and answer his arguments. He is a TRUE BAPTIST, like Spurgeon who came years later to the same church.

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:04 AM

Michael Lyman said     ........."Remember there is not a PBB version of his commentaries and many of these other works"

Am I missing something? I've had Gill in PBB for at least a couple of years in L3.

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:09 AM

His commentaries? If so where did you find them. I haven't seen them on stilltruth.com.

The following three titles are available in this install:

Enjoy!
JoeK

Related Content: 
AttachmentDateSize
[file] The Prophecies of the Old Testament Respecting the Messiah 04/30/07 9:12 am 419.11 KB
[file] A BODY OF DOCTRINAL DIVINITY 04/30/07 9:08 am 2.85 MB
[file] A Body of PRACTICAL Divinity 04/30/07 9:10 am 1.4 MB
[file] The Cause of God and Truth 04/30/07 9:08 am 1.68 MB
[file] Exposition of the Book of Solomon&#39;s Song 04/30/07 9:07 am 1.82 MB
[file] LDLS-John_Gill_Collection_Setup.exe 01/26/08 2:22 pm 8.59 MB
Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:38 AM

Yes, I have his commentaries in PBB. Maybe stilltruth.com took them off their site?

I used to use the PBB Updater App. and it would download all that I didn't have.

Is what you posted for L3? 

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:47 AM

What I posted is what I have for L3 and what is listed on their site currently. I would love to have his commentaries in L3. I still have to use the PDF from another publisher.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:30 AM

Just to clarify what Michael said above....

Shawn Drewett:
Yes, I have his commentaries in PBB. Maybe stilltruth.com took them off their site

Nope here it is: http://www.stilltruth.com/blog/joekreif/pbb-john-gill-collection

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:42 AM

Thomas, To clarify what your are saying... The commentaries are NOT available, correct? Crying

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:52 AM

Sorry Michael.....

Just the ones mentioned above are available as PBB, the entire body is not.  IOW all of the available Gill in PBB format (to which I'm privy) is at that link I provided.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1499
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:54 AM

Michael Lyman:

I'm willing to pay for all of these books for the added functionality and because, IMHO, Logos has very little that compares with them so far.

Yes

I have the free version of Gill's commentaries in another Bible software program, but I'm looking forward to having them available in Logos. One of the things I like about his commentaries (apart from the fact that Gill is a Calvinist) is that he also uses rabbinic sources. I hope that Logos will link his commentaries to the Talmud (on prepub here: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6667).

Something I didn't know is that Gill was influenced by Witsius: "During his lifetime, Witsius was a major influence on his contemporaries, such as John Gill and John Owen," (http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6750).

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 8:13 AM

I just ran the PBB updater again by stilltruth and it downloaded Gill's Commentaries. They are named eeb. (Exposition of the Entire Bible)

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 8:23 AM

I'll try it tonight. Thanks!

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 3:22 PM

I guess I figured it out. You just don't know when it's downloaded until you look for it in Libronix.

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:19 PM

True, I should have told you.

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:22 AM

Thomas, If you use the updater the commentaries will download as Shawn said. Thanks again Shawn!

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:07 AM

Your welcome. These are part of the reason I brought up the topic several weeks ago titled "PBB rest in peace" If you would like to read this thread you can do a search.

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:13 AM

Actuall the thread is titled "Pbb's R.I.P.

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 3:58 AM

I chose this thread to re-encourage everyone here to bid on Gill now that it is in Community Pricing. If you have bid low, bid as high as you can, I would bid the full price or more if I could. As I and others have said before there is no commentary like Gill's and there probably never will be. Many of His contemporaries like George Whitefield, who he supported, have made it to production, he was Spurgeon's predecessor, Toplady's best friend, he published Tobias Crisp, he had one of the largest congregations of his time, many of the people were simple folk and his commentaries have stood the test of time. Is he controversial? Yes, but so were Jesus, Paul and the other apostles and prophets. His other writings are rich as well. He is available in QuickVerse and Adobe and of course free on the internet: http://www.freegrace.net/gill/ . I want to encourage users that are not familiar with him to check him, you should not be disappointed.

Page 3 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS