VMFusion HELP

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:12 AM

I upgraded to version 3.01 this morning and now I cannot access my Virtual machine. My update was not fully installed successfully and my virtual machine won't turn on. Of course I have my first presentation in 2 1/2 hours. The error code I get says the following:

The initialization of the VMware Fusion device driver has failed

Execution of this virtual machine cannot continue

Failure code -1

Any thoughts? Help, please. 

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:54 AM

RevWilming:

I upgraded to version 3.01 this morning and now I cannot access my Virtual machine. My update was not fully installed successfully and my virtual machine won't turn on. Of course I have my first presentation in 2 1/2 hours. The error code I get says the following:

The initialization of the VMware Fusion device driver has failed

Execution of this virtual machine cannot continue

Failure code -1

Any thoughts? Help, please. 

Christina

I do not have Fusion 3, but I had a similar experience with Parallels a couple of years ago. The upgrade from Parallels 3 to 4 destroyed my virtual machines beyond repair. I used a backup and switched to Fusion. You might get some help from the Fusion forums, but mainly I hope you made a backup before upgrading. Sorry I can't be of more help. 

Have you attempted to open you virtual machine with the previous version of Fusion?

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:56 AM

How do I open it using the older version?

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 7:04 AM

RevWilming:

How do I open it using the older version?

Did 3.01 overwrite the previous version? Do you have a backup? The original disk? If your virtual machine did not begin to upgrade, it may still be usable in 3.0. Are you using Leopard (or Snow Leopard)? If so, have you activated Time Machine? As you can probably guess, I am simply offering random suggestion here.

For future reference: ALWAYS make a backup prior to beginning an upgrade! (That is sound advice that I myself seldom follow.) 

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 7:38 AM

RevWilming,

What I would recommend is that you go to the VMWare Fusion site and download 3.0.1. Try installing it that way.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 10:04 AM

Hi Christina, I received a similar error when I upgraded, but when I rebooted and tried again, it seemed to be fine.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 6:27 PM

It works! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I got the information too late for my presentation, but God does truly work in mysterious ways. My presentation is rescheduled for next Saturday and, now that my system works, I can demonstrate how Logos will solve many of the issues they are wrestling with concerning the study of God's word.  

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 12:07 AM

RevWilming:
It works! Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, which suggestion wound up working in the end?

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:35 AM

I shut the entire laptop down, instead of just rebooting the virtual machine, and the upgrade worked.  Also, based upon the suggestions of others, I deleted AVG Free 9.0 due to the problems the program had with Fusion. My system worked fine for a moment, which is when I responded to your post, but I'm back to the Passage Guide taking 5 minutes to create. But at least I still have the virtual machine and don't have to go through the process to create a new one and reload all of my software.

Thanks!

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:30 PM

Be sure to start using Time Machine or some other reliable backup system. I had a problem with Fusion's virtual machines awhile back but it took no time at all to restore them from Time Machine.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:07 AM

Michael Hite:
Be sure to start using Time Machine or some other reliable backup system. I had a problem with Fusion's virtual machines awhile back but it took no time at all to restore them from Time Machine.

The only downside to using Time Machine to back up fusion is that because TM backs up every file that has changed since the last backup, if the big file that Fusion stores your virtual machine in is always backed up. This means hourly, you get a new full backup of your virtual machine. My VM is 38GB, and this will fill up your backup drive very quickly. The only way around this is to exclude the virtual machine directory in the Time Machine preferences and back the file up manually from time to time.

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 5:35 AM

Michael Hite:

As Donavon has already noted, Fusion will fill your backup disk rather quickly, but anyone would be wise to make a manual backup before doing any upgrade. I can give fabulous advice, but unfortunately, I don't always listen. Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS