Help translate Logos 5 into another language!

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 543
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:20 AM

arjeh:

As a former user of German SESB (Libronix) who recently changed to Logos 5 with Windows 8 it would be VERY useful to have a German user interface of Logos 5, especially the chance to use bible book references in the form of "Joh 1,1" instead of "Jhn 1:1" or "Offb 12,4" instead of "Rev 12:4".

I'm looking forward to this! Thanks for your efforts.

Friedhelm

YES! YES! YES! :-) PLEASE!

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 9:36 AM

L.A.:

arjeh:

As a former user of German SESB (Libronix) who recently changed to Logos 5 with Windows 8 it would be VERY useful to have a German user interface of Logos 5, especially the chance to use bible book references in the form of "Joh 1,1" instead of "Jhn 1:1" or "Offb 12,4" instead of "Rev 12:4".

I'm looking forward to this! Thanks for your efforts.

Friedhelm

YES! YES! YES! :-) PLEASE!

A German user interface has been added to Logos 5.1a which is currently being beta-tested. However, Bible book names are all still in English. This post explains why, and offers some hope: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/72954.aspx 

Posts 543
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:06 AM

Would be nice for the PBB Tool compiling German books. Prefer to be patient awaiting the 5.1a :-) However... ;-)

Thanks for the Info, Mark! 

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 16 2013 12:50 PM

L.A.:

Would be nice for the PBB Tool compiling German books. Prefer to be patient awaiting the 5.1a :-) However... ;-)

Thanks for the Info, Mark! 

It shouldn't be a problem to compile German books in PBB. I do a lot of Czech books and it works fine.

Bohuslav

Posts 11852
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 3:14 PM

Mark Barnes:
A German user interface has been added to Logos 5.1a which is currently being beta-tested.

The localization in current RC 3 is actually quite good.

One thing I stumbled upon when I tried to correct this typo in Crowdin

(actually it's a double mistake: "durhführen" is misspelled, it needs to read "durchführen" with a ch, but then "durchführen" only might be an acceptable translation of "to make" in the sense of performing an action, whereas here it has the sense of "to create", which would be "erzeugen" in German - anyway), when I tried to correct this error in Crowdin, I found that this platform has a major weakness: each UI string is treated on its own.

@Logos: This is bad, since you need to have a canonical list of Logos vocabulary that appears over and over in the application. These need to be translated consistently everywhere.

Take a look:

Basically, I'm totally indifferent if "visual filters" become "optische Filter" or "visuelle Filter" in German - both would be acceptable translations in my mind - but you definitely need to translate it consistently throughout the application. 

OT: it's Verknüpfung, not Verknüpung for link(s) 

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11852
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 3:25 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
It shouldn't be a problem to compile German books in PBB. I do a lot of Czech books and it works fine.

But Logos hasn't implemented German bible book names - and it doesn't apply continental reference style to German text. Thus the PB compiler detects books that happen to have the same name or abbreviation in English and in German and - if so - detects the chapter reference, but not the verse.

1 Thess 1, 8 will be the first chapter of First Thessalonians, but will not resolve verse 8.

Posts 11852
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 1:35 AM

NB.Mick:

when I tried to correct this error in Crowdin, I found that this platform has a major weakness: each UI string is treated on its own.

@Logos: This is bad, since you need to have a canonical list of Logos vocabulary that appears over and over in the application. These need to be translated consistently everywhere.

replying to myself here: it seems that this is less an issue with Crowdin but with the usage. The "Terms" database (a bit hidden to the right of the screen, tab alternates with Comments) seems to be the feature intended to hold the canonical vocabulary - but it needs to be used consistently by translators and Logos.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:54 AM

NB.Mick:

NB.Mick:

when I tried to correct this error in Crowdin, I found that this platform has a major weakness: each UI string is treated on its own.

replying to myself here: it seems that this is less an issue with Crowdin but with the usage. The "Terms" database (a bit hidden to the right of the screen, tab alternates with Comments) seems to be the feature intended to hold the canonical vocabulary - but it needs to be used consistently by translators and Logos.

I am not sure with Crowdin, but in PB compiler I can use Czech Bible references (Mt 5, 1-10) but it accepts also a combination of Czech - English ref. (Matouš 5:1-10)

Bohuslav

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 4:04 AM

Shouldn't new threads be started for details like these?

Posts 1
David choi | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 9:50 PM

I'd like to expect about new language traslate ~

is it possible copy korean version to logos bible resources ?

many korean websites provids standard korean bible translate version ~

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2013 3:27 AM

May I suggest that we start new threads titled "Localization: ___________________" in the General forum.

This can help everybody get to the specific issues.

Posts 543
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 5:06 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Hi Bohuslav,

compiling german books is fine, but german bible references like Offbg = Rev (Offenbarung = Revelation) doesn't work. The "," as a chapter,verse separator does not work either. However I'm fine with my PBB. ... and the new (sometimes funny) German UI ... step by step Logos goes international again, as Libronx was some years ago. 

Posts 543
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2013 5:08 PM

Lee:

May I suggest that we start new threads titled "Localization: ___________________" in the General forum.

This can help everybody get to the specific issues.

Good Idea! 

And everybody is invited to use the crowdin page. :-)

Posts 87
Stephen Kao | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 20 2013 4:46 PM

Hi is there a list of the relationship between each resource file and the section in Logos UI.

For example LDLS4.indexer\OurResources.resx is for section of the UI in Logos5 that will make translation much more easier and no need to ask for context for clarification. 

Posts 195
LogosEmployee
Seth Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 23 2013 2:11 PM

Stephen Kao:

Hi is there a list of the relationship between each resource file and the section in Logos UI.

For example LDLS4.indexer\OurResources.resx is for section of the UI in Logos5 that will make translation much more easier and no need to ask for context for clarification. 

Hey Stephen,

First let me say thanks for all the help translating. I've seen you requests for context and I plan on addressing them soon.
Those sections for resource files, are from different projects we build when we build the application. So there is a relationship, but not necessarily a clear one. If the folder above is Guides, the string most likely will be found in the guides section, somewhere, or if documents then in some type of document. However, a majority of all the strings you see in the UI, are in the LDLS4 project and usually the keys will be prefixed with where in the app they might be. Like LayoutSaveDescription, is used in Layouts, and PrayerListAnsweredSectionLabel is used in PrayerLists. If there isn't information like that, usually it means it is used generically throughout the app, and most times context will probably need to be provided.

As new features are developed and new UI strings are introduced, I will ask my fellow developers, to ensure to add context where it isn't clear.

Regards,

Seth Copeland

Logos SW Development

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:28 AM

firstly I can't help in this area - just so no one gets the wrong idea,

second, I am unsure if this compensation / 'pseudo' job is clear enough.  who are you paying?

the managers, (3rd last paragraph) and not the workers (last paragraph)?  Not saying that you meant this, I am just saying: what are you saying? thats all :)

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:33 AM

Kevin:

Seriously? How is that a misconception. I can read both traditional and simplified Chinese fine. The burden of proof lies on you.

well, hi Kevin. its nice to be a Christian isn't it!

( well if not in this life, with certainty in the next)

I was thinking of the time I showed a Japanese exchange student the Japanese bible module in theword.  He said something like: "ahh-mmm this is difficult."

if it is helpful...

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 5:58 PM

Could you add British English to your list? I'm a pedant, and every time I see a spelling 'mistake', I have an urge to correct it!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2013 6:13 PM

Mark Barnes:

Could you add British English to your list? I'm a pedant, and every time I see a spelling 'mistake', I have an urge to correct it!

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1975
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 10:36 AM

Mark Barnes:

as some people who lives in the internet call it 'grammar nazi' .. DevilCool

lol

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS