New Feature: Send reference to device

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Stephen Koehn | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 29 2013 6:43 AM

I love the power of Logos on Mac, but sometimes it is just easier to read on my iPad.

I am currently working on a research paper for seminary and am coming across good resources and thought about a new feature that I believe would prove to be beneficial.

In the menu of a resource in Logos (desktop) are options such as columns, show footnotes on page, show reading view, float this panel or dock this panel, etc. What would be great, in my opinion, is the option to "send to device." If I could "register" my iPad to be my preferred device, when I came across a specific reference in a resource on Logos for Mac, I would love the ability to send that resource at that reference point to open on my iPad in Logos, so I can easily read it while maintaining my workflow on the Mac.

Is this doable? Good idea, bad idea? Or is there an existing (easy) workaround?

Thanks!

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2013 7:03 AM

Stephen Koehn:
Is this doable? Good idea, bad idea? Or is there an existing (easy) workaround?

I don't think what you are specifically asking for is possible… but there are already work arounds.

1. In your L5 library, you can assign the resource to download to your mobile device. When your device app opens next, the resource will download automatically.
  2. When you open the resource, it will open to the last used spot. NOTE: If the resource was already open on your device, it stays put. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1703
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:01 AM

We'll consider this idea. In the meantime, your favorites are synced, so you might quickly save a favorite to a folder called "iPad Reading" and then go to the iPad and click on the favorite...

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 3:29 AM

I don't know if Bob will see this, but on the off chance the boss does and since we are on the topic, let me say that Logos is sooooooo very close to being able to replicate the kind of management that Sente does with PDFs.  IMHO there are two pieces of low hanging fruit for the researcher waiting for Logos to pick:

1. We need clippings brought to the iPad. Clippings are a killer way to collect material for a paper.  Trouble is, we need to be at the desktop to do this. Please, please, please add this synchronised functionality to the iPad. (I should probably check uservoice to see if there is an entry on this and add some votes.)

2. Please make the way that the desktop and iPad handles notes consistent.  It would be so nice to have a WYSIWYG experience between both platforms with notes. 

I want to highly commend the export capabilities of both clippings and notes. I dump these into Devonthink for compiling research from various resources. When I need to go back to the source from Devonthink, the link takes me straight back to the Logos material.  BRILLIANT!!!  What a time saver.  (Incidentally, Sente does this as well, but not as good as Logos.)

Last, on another positive note, I want to also commend Logos on version 5 for the Mac. It is much more stable and refined. It crashed yesterday, but this is a much less frequent occurrence. It is always such a relief when your tools 'just work'.

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 4:33 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
We need clippings brought to the iPad.

That would be great! What would you think of a secondary app just for clippings? Personally, I don't like doing anything in split screen unless I have to.

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 8:14 AM

I had not considered the possibility of a secondary app or even a split window. I assumed that clippings would be similarly handled to notes, in that a popup window would appear, you could make comments and then it would be appended to the clipping file.  I don't think I have a strong opinion about the mechanics of how it is done at this stage, but more that clippings could be done and stored in the cloud.

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 8:30 AM

The more I think about it, I don't think a secondary app is the right path… although I do like my work flow between Logos mobile app & evernote.

Posts 10691
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:26 AM

alabama24:

The more I think about it, I don't think a secondary app is the right path… although I do like my work flow between Logos mobile app & evernote.

Aren't you iDevice people the ones telling all the time about sandboxed applications that can't communicate (which precludes that Logos have one "Local Library Service app" holding all the book resources and serving the Logos, Bible, FSB, Versum, Vyrso, .....apps )?  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:15 AM

NB.Mick:
Aren't you iDevice people the ones telling all the time about sandboxed applications

Yes, but I don't understand your point.

Posts 10691
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 11:12 AM

alabama24:

NB.Mick:
Aren't you iDevice people the ones telling all the time about sandboxed applications

Yes, but I don't understand your point.

Or, not owning any iDevice, maybe I misunderstood your description of how this is to work. A clippings feature within the existing applications would work like on the desktop, I suppose. My limited understanding of the separation of apps would lead me to conclud that you can't sit inside one of the Logos apps, read the bible or anything else and then tell another app to store the last verse/sentence/... as a clipping. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 11:44 AM

NB.Mick:
My limited understanding of the separation of apps would lead me to conclud that you can't sit inside one of the Logos apps, read the bible or anything else and then tell another app to store the last verse/sentence/... as a clipping.

True, which is one of the reasons why I changed my mind. Big Smile

Currently, I use evernote for "clippings" type notes. I can copy a section of text, use a four finger swipe to move to evernote, and paste. A separate app would work well only if you didn't want/need to create clippings on the mobile app… otherwise it would be a "copy & paste" solution, which many users wouldnt be happy with. (Personally, I would be happy because I would rather have two full screen apps with "copy and paste" than one app with a half screen… but that is just me). 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS