This post has 48 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:21 AM

6237.clicking strongs.mp4

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:55 AM

I had understood that the feature of in-line Strong's numbers (including the CWSB) will return when the traditional style of the reverse interlinear is implemented in L4.

Is this not correct?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:59 AM

I, too, miss this feature. I would have 3 lexicons open at a click of the mouse. This way it did not take up additional space in L3. It was a great tool. I did the same with my Dictionaries, etc.  The new L4 format is powerful, but it does not let the user choose how to use the program as did L3. The ability to choose how many resources to open and which resources to open using the key-link feature was great.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:07 AM

DanCleghorn:

I, too, miss this feature. I would have 3 lexicons open at a click of the mouse. This way it did not take up additional space in L3. It was a great tool. I did the same with my Dictionaries, etc.  The new L4 format is powerful, but it does not let the user choose how to use the program as did L3. The ability to choose how many resources to open and which resources to open using the key-link feature was great.

I'd have to agree the customizability of L4 is NOT on par with L3, but I don't think it was ever the plan.  I believe they have sought to simplify L4 by combining some L3 customizations into the new program as part of the UI.  I do think L4 should be at least AS customizable as L3 (more so imo).  I was sad to see much of it go.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:57 AM

Can I ask a basic Q about this?

How is clicking on the strongs number or word and having your favorite lexicon come up...then pushing the right-arrow to go directly to your "next favorite" any different than having 3 resources come up 2 behind the main one (ala V3) and having to click them to read them each....

Isn't that the same amount of clicks and things?

Robert Pavich

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 10:26 AM

Robert Pavich:

Can I ask a basic Q about this?

How is clicking on the strongs number or word and having your favorite lexicon come up...then pushing the right-arrow to go directly to your "next favorite" any different than having 3 resources come up 2 behind the main one (ala V3) and having to click them to read them each....

Isn't that the same amount of clicks and things?

For me the difference is that there is no Strong's number to click on in the CWSB.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 10:51 AM

Paul..nope you're right....that would be a "right click + click" adding one click one time at each word...

Can I ask another basic Q?

Why use strongs numbering? Or maybe a different Q...why use the "word study bible" if we are all going after the same thing...."click a word, get a lexicon".....?

I'm asking because I don't understand...not to dis you.

Robert Pavich

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:13 AM

Robert Pavich:
I'm asking because I don't understand...not to dis you.

Don't worry about any insult on my part, I fully understand your inquiries.

The main use (for me) of the CWSB, is having allot of useful information in one place, for quick reference. As in the example below, you can see all the information that is presented with the text, except for the Strong's numbers in L4. In L3 having the Strong's made it a very handy study reference.

When heppro was [come downapta] frompre theart mountain,nn greatan,aj multitudesan,nn followedaina him.ppro

2 And, behold, there cameapta a leperan,nn and worshipedipf him,ppro saying,pap Lord,an,nn if thou wilt,psa thou canstpinm [make me clean.ainf/ppro]

3 And Jesusart,nn [put forthapta] his hand,art,nn and touchedaom him,ppro saying,pap I will;pin be thou clean. Andaipp ❐❒ immediatelyad hisppro leprosyart,nn was cleansed.ainp

4 And Jesusart,nn saithpin unto him,ppro Seepim thou tellaosi [no man;an,ajn] but [go thy way,aima] showaima thyselfrxpro to theart priest,nn and offeraima theart giftnn thatrepro Mosesan,nn commanded,aina forpre a testimonyan,nn unto them.ppro1

1 Zodhiates, S., & Baker, W. (2000). The complete word study Bible : King James Version (electronic ed.). Chattanooga: AMG Publishers.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:20 AM

Paul,

Yes...I see what you mean...I opened mine and hovered on a few words....

the only thing that I didn't like was the visual disruption" that the numbers cause...at least for me...I'd rather use something else.

thanks for answering my basic Qs..

Robert Pavich

Posts 33255
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:30 AM

Damian McGrath:
Personally, I don't miss the lack of displayed strong's numbers as I have never and will never use them

I find Strong's numbers distracting, of no use to me, bemusing, curious ... I compare them to using numbers for each lemma in the OED and shake my head. All of which is to say, make them visible to those who use them but minimize their impact on the rest of us.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:48 AM

would the info window not help you..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:59 AM

DominicM:

would the info window not help you..

Oh Great, just when I was getting all crabby and complaining about a missing feature, someone comes up with a better way to do it...Thank-You Big Smile

One quick question, does the "Information" window uses the Strong's referenced dictionary based on my prioritized resources list, or are individual Bibles tied to specific dictionaries?

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:13 PM

Ted Hans:

I think this is what he means. Ted 

Ted and Steven, how did you get the Strong's numbers to show up below the text in the CWSB? I've still got L3 and I was attempting to help Steven out, but the numbers don't show up for me (either in L3 or L4).

Paul Golder said that the numbers don't show up in L4 for him, but they did in L3. So there must be some program setting to turn them on/off in both version, but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm not saying I'm a fan of Strong's numbers, but I just like to understand all aspects of the software so I can help people.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 1:36 AM

Rosie Perera:
Ted and Steven, how did you get the Strong's numbers to show up below the text in the CWSB? I've still got L3 and I was attempting to help Steven out, but the numbers don't show up for me (either in L3 or L4).

Hi Rosie,

Just click under View at the top andyou get the choice of interlinear Strong's numbers, Inline Strong's numbers, or Bible text only.

Charlene

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:17 AM

Charlene:

Rosie Perera:

Hi Rosie,

Just click under View at the top andyou get the choice of interlinear Strong's numbers, Inline Strong's numbers, or Bible text only.

Ha! Shows you how little I got to know L3 while I was using it.

I still can't find where that has gone in L4. There's no View menu.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:19 AM

I've resisted coming in on this thread earlier, but it seems to me that you can have exactly the same functionality in a KJV with reverse interlinear showing. WHy use the CWSB? The Strong's numbers are listed in a reverse interlinear, and clicking them will bring up the Strong's resource you prioritise. The result is much easier to read, and I would argue, better all around. It's usually much better to ask "How best can I accomplish this task in L4?", rather than "How do replicate an L3 function exactly in my new product?".

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:33 PM

Mark Barnes:

I've resisted coming in on this thread earlier, but it seems to me that you can have exactly the same functionality in a KJV with reverse interlinear showing. WHy use the CWSB? The Strong's numbers are listed in a reverse interlinear, and clicking them will bring up the Strong's resource you prioritise. The result is much easier to read, and I would argue, better all around. It's usually much better to ask "How best can I accomplish this task in L4?", rather than "How do replicate an L3 function exactly in my new product?".

With the CWSB, it's just a preference of having links to several resources in one place. Like:

• Book Introductions

• Footnotes on Key Passages

• Extensive Cross-reference Numbering System

• Hebrew and Greek Word Studies Sections

Grammatical coding for each word

Posts 26957
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 4:31 PM

Paul Golder:

I had understood that the feature of in-line Strong's numbers (including the CWSB) will return when the traditional style of the reverse interlinear is implemented in L4.

Is this not correct?

See the discusion at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/6171/48045.aspx

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26957
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 4:58 PM

Paul Golder:

With the CWSB, it's just a preference of having links to several resources in one place. Like:

• Book Introductions

• Footnotes on Key Passages

• Extensive Cross-reference Numbering System

• Hebrew and Greek Word Studies Sections

Grammatical coding for each word

I did not have this resource in L3 but I can appreciate why it would be highly regarded.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 5:29 PM

Dave Hooton:

I did not have this resource in L3 but I can appreciate why it would be highly regarded.

I didn't either, but bought it just to see what all the hoopla was about and see if I could help Paul out with another option in L4 for doing what he used to do in it.

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS