Bible reference in copy/paste

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 13 2009 5:36 AM

I KNOW KNOW KNOW there is some simple solution to this, BUTTTTTTTTTT: I can not figure out how to get a full Bible reference in the notation when I copy and paste a text.  Eg, if i copy Eph 3:15 (and paste), I get the verse, General title of the book/translation, etc, but no 'ephesians 3:15".  The net effect is when I copy multiple verses, I might forget where they came from.

Please don't prolong my shame and consternation and SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS so I can delete this post, lol.  It's almost like "how do you spell "I"?"  Well, right now, I am STUMPED.  Tongue Tied

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 5:40 AM

in the commandbox type

show copy bible verses

Click the first blue word and select your preferred style.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 5:48 AM

Thomas Black:

in the commandbox type

show copy bible verses

Click the first blue word and select your preferred style.

thanks thomas.  First, I had never had that "copy verses" pane open.  Second, what I was doing was selecting the verse within the NIV and copying (right click) and then pasting in Word.  In L3 I did that and it included the reference.  Now it doesn't.  I am not sure why.  I DO like the options we have within that pane, but am not sure why that has to be open for us to copy etc, correctly.  I will look at it more--off to church now!  thanks again

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:26 AM

Sorry Daniel, I thought that would change the behavior you described.  That is quite odd.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 11:28 AM

At least you can type in the commandbox:

copy Ephesians 3:15

and it will remember the last selected format.  Not quite the same as select, copy and paste though.

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 8:32 PM

Daniel, it looks like you have stumbled upon something that got missed in reimplementing the copy/paste feature in Logos 4 from Logos 3. In Logos 4, there is now a way to control whether the citation appears after a text when you copy/paste. That's in Tools > Program Settings:

In Logos 3, there was no way to turn on/off the citation when copying, but when it was pasted, it would always include the verse reference as well as the version and publication information.

Logos 4 omits the reference.

I will log this as a bug, since a proper citation (for academic/scholarly work) should definitely include the verse reference.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 8:40 PM

Rosie Perera:
I will log this as a bug, since a proper citation (for academic/scholarly work) should definitely include the verse reference.

Not in the SBL Handbook of Style. Verse references are given in-line.  Translation details are given when multiple translations are used.

Chicago allows either inline or footnoted references - though I've always done inline referencing.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:00 PM

Rosie Perera:
since a proper citation (for academic/scholarly work) should definitely include the verse reference.
FYI, my DMin program at Talbot asks that verse quotes exclude numbers. Indifferent

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:15 PM

Damian McGrath:

Rosie Perera:

Not in the SBL Handbook of Style. Verse references are given in-line.  Translation details are given when multiple translations are used.

Chicago allows either inline or footnoted references - though I've always done inline referencing.

OK, so perhaps that's why they removed it. Doesn't help our brother here who wants them in for a reason other than academic work. Maybe it should be added as...uggh...another program option?

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
Maybe it should be added as...uggh...another program option?

Yay! The more the merrier....

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 1:29 AM

Incidentally, clicking the Copy button in Copy Bible Verses does include the reference in the citation (unless the CBV style has %NoCitation in which case there's no citation at all). It's odd that Right-Click Copy (and Ctrl+C) would behave differently. But it does:

Citation from CBV Copy/paste result:

The Holy Bible : Today's New International Version. 2005 (Is 9:18–21). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Citation from right-click Copy/paste result (same as for Ctrl+C):

The Holy Bible : Today's New International Version. 2005. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 5:24 AM

Hi all, thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate all the styles we can choose from in CBV.  But no matter what I pick there, if I "Ctrl C" or right-click "copy", what gets pasted in Word is purely this:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

3 Who being ithe brightness jof his glory, and kthe express image of his person, and lupholding all things by the word of his power, mwhen he had by himself purged our sins, nsat down oon the right hand of the Majesty on high;

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2009 (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version.). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

the reference never gets inserted, anywhere.  (excuse the extra consonants, you know they are they superscript doohickies).  No matter my translation, no matter the style chosen in CBV, no matter what manual of style . . .

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:38 PM

Daniel DeVilder:

Hi all, thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate all the styles we can choose from in CBV.  But no matter what I pick there, if I "Ctrl C" or right-click "copy", what gets pasted in Word is purely this:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

3 Who being ithe brightness jof his glory, and kthe express image of his person, and lupholding all things by the word of his power, mwhen he had by himself purged our sins, nsat down oon the right hand of the Majesty on high;

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2009 (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version.). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

the reference never gets inserted, anywhere.  (excuse the extra consonants, you know they are they superscript doohickies).  No matter my translation, no matter the style chosen in CBV, no matter what manual of style . . .

Sorry. I should have been clearer. If you click the "Copy" button on the Copy Bible Verses panel, you will get the verse reference in the citation. The fact that Ctrl+C and Right-click Copy omit the reference has been confirmed as a bug, so hopefully it will be fixed in 4.0a. But in the meantime you can click the Copy button as a workaround.

BTW, you can get rid of the "superscript doohickies" (which are footnote markers) in your copied text by picking a style that has no footnotes (if you're not sure which ones have footnotes and which ones don't, right click on the style name, select "Edit" and look to see if it's got the "%NoFootnotes" code in it). You can create your own styles that have exactly the features you want if none of the built-in styles quite do it for you. However, the scripting language is a bit daunting for non-programmer types. Hopefully they'll bring back the nice dialog box UI for designing your own styles in an upcoming release.

Also, I'm confused as to why your paste includes the text "Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE." Does that happen every time for you?

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:54 PM

Rosie Perera:

Sorry. I should have been clearer. If you click the "Copy" button on the Copy Bible Verses panel, you will get the verse reference in the citation. The fact that Ctrl+C and Right-click Copy omit the reference has been confirmed as a bug, so hopefully it will be fixed in 4.0a. But in the meantime you can click the Copy button as a workaround.

BTW, you can get rid of the "superscript doohickies" (which are footnote markers) in your copied text by picking a style that has no footnotes (if you're not sure which ones have footnotes and which ones don't, right click on the style name, select "Edit" and look to see if it's got the "%NoFootnotes" code in it). You can create your own styles that have exactly the features you want if none of the built-in styles quite do it for you. However, the scripting language is a bit daunting for non-programmer types. Hopefully they'll bring back the nice dialog box UI for designing your own styles in an upcoming release.

Also, I'm confused as to why your paste includes the text "Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE." Does that happen every time for you?

Hi Rosie, and thank you so much for your input.  You explained a lot.  Last things first: the "EN-US . . . " etc only appeared in the forum post.  I have seen it with others' posts.  It is not so in my .doc.  I have a question regarding CBV panel--other than initially seeing what the styles are, why is this panel necessary?  It doesn't seem very efficient to have to open a panel and take up space.  Just wondering, not being negative.  I might not understand how it is intended to be used.

Thanks!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:06 PM

Daniel DeVilder:
why is this panel necessary?  It doesn't seem very efficient to have to open a panel and take up space.  Just wondering, not being negative.  I might not understand how it is intended to be used.

I'm not Rosie, but maybe I can explain.

There are a lot of different ways people like to cite text from the Bible. You may want the reference first, last, abbreviated, spelled out fully, include/exclude verse numbers, etc. The Copy Bible Verse module lets you select from pre-made copy protocols, or make your own.

The other main advantage of using the CBV (rather than copy/paste) is that the copy/paste function always includes the bibliographical data. This is usually unnecessary for copying Bible verses.

Most long-time users of Logos have gotten used to using the CBV as the preferred way to enter Bible text into a document.

To make it a little easier to get to, enter Show Copy Bible Verse in the command bar , but before hitting the enter key click on that text and drag it to the command bar to create a short-cut. I leave it closed unless I want to copy a verse. Then I open it, copy the verse, paste it in the text and close the CBV.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:46 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
I'm not Rosie, but maybe I can explain.

Hey Dude, this is equal opportunity!!!  You are ALSO VALUED!  Yes  Seriously, thanks.  You know I never used it in L3.  Probably just didn't know what it was and thought it was what I was already doing!  Yeah, having all that Bib data not appear would be nice.

Richard DeRuiter:
To make it a little easier to get to, enter Show Copy Bible Verse in the command bar , but before hitting the enter key click on that text and drag it to the command bar to create a short-cut.

do you mean "drag it to the shortcut menu?" (or whatever it's called?)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 3:48 PM

Daniel DeVilder:
do you mean "drag it to the shortcut menu?" (or whatever it's called?)

Oops.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 4:05 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Most long-time users of Logos have gotten used to using the CBV as the preferred way to enter Bible text into a document.

There are not many other features in L4 that were designed to make "most long-time users" know how to do it ;-)

Actually I think Daniel is right. There shouldn't be any need to keep CBV open once you've selected your favorite style in it. Copy/Paste should pay attention to whatever syle you've selected for CBV and use that. Most of the copying/pasting I do uses the same style so I rarely have to change to another one. I use it most of the time to make reading sheets for people reading Scripture aloud during the service. (I print them out in a larger font to make it easier to see so they don't have to squint; sometimes I ask older people in our church to help out with the readings.)  I never used CBV in L3 because it was an extra little program that ran from the tray icon. I vaguely knew about it, but thought it was redundant or unnecessary so I never really explored it and got to know it like I've now done with the CBV feature in L4.  (Incidentally, someone needs to make a video about CBV -- there is none yet.)

Richard DeRuiter:

To make it a little easier to get to, enter Show Copy Bible Verse in the command bar , but before hitting the enter key click on that text and drag it to the command bar to create a short-cut. I leave it closed unless I want to copy a verse. Then I open it, copy the verse, paste it in the text and close the CBV.

Not to harp on you Richard, but "show" is entirely superfluous as it is understood whenever you type in the name of some element of L4 that can be shown. So I always recommend that people omit it. Why type extra unnecessary characters? In fact, you don't even need to type in the full "Copy Bible Verses" -- as soon as you type in "Copy," "Show Copy Bible Verses" is the first item that shows up in the dropdown so you can grab it and drag it to the shortcut bar. (Actually, it shows up as soon as you type "cop" but Logos isn't quite as fast as my typing so I got ahead of it.)

Posts 2
Steve Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 3:07 PM

After performing a search of my Bible, I only want to copy and paste the Bible reference and not the Bible text.

How do I get the search results as a reference only?

Posts 27982
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 5:40 AM

Welcome Steve

Steve Fisher:
How do I get the search results as a reference only?

After a Bible Search, go to the Panel menu (top right) and select "Save as Passage List".

Then use Print/Export (CTRL+P), select Print as Minimized Text on the left and Copy to Clipboard on the right. When you paste it, the result will look something like:

Mt 15:9; Mk 7:7; Ac 13:43, 50; 16:14; 17:4, 17; 18:7, 13; 19:27

Please note that it is best to start a new thread rather then post to an old one like this (from 2009).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS