OT: What is the most fascinating Christian topic?

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 58 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5419
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 3:16 PM

George Somsel:

I also would not include apologetics since I don't believe in apologetics—you accept it or you don't, period.

Accept what?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 3:30 PM

David Paul:

George Somsel:

I also would not include apologetics since I don't believe in apologetics—you accept it or you don't, period.

Accept what?

The gospel

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 3:43 PM

George Somsel:
I would not include science in that since Genesis has nothing to do with science.  I also would not include apologetics since I don't believe in apologetics—you accept it or you don't, period.

Re science & apologetics: I accept Genesis period. That's why I enjoy watching the fight over the reliability of the book. It's like watching a DVR playback of a UFC fight when you already know who won the fight. Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 4:55 PM

Super Tramp:

George Somsel:
I would not include science in that since Genesis has nothing to do with science.  I also would not include apologetics since I don't believe in apologetics—you accept it or you don't, period.

Re science & apologetics: I accept Genesis period. That's why I enjoy watching the fight over the reliability of the book. It's like watching a DVR playback of a UFC fight when you already know who won the fight. Smile

I accept Genesis too, but not as science.  If that's what you wish to "think", you're entitled.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 5:30 PM

George Somsel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4
Big Smile That cracked me up!

Posts 19276
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 6:22 PM

Sleiman:
Rosie, I'm not sure if you've already done this, but since you have a much larger Logos library than me, would you do me a favor and search for Girard in you library?

I think most of the good stuff has already been mentioned.

The Bible in Human Society: Essays in Honor of John Rogerson has an essay by Bruce Chilton ("The Hungry Knife: Towards a Sense of Sacrifice") that mentions Girard quite a lot, but in rebuttal.

There's a section (8 paragraphs) on Girard in Jesus, Revolutionary of Peace: A Nonviolent Christology in the Book of Revelation.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 6:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
Swartley, Willard M. Violence Renounced: René Girard, Biblical Studies, and Peacemaking. - particularly the chapter titled "Girard and Atonement: An Incarnational Theory of Mimetic Participation" which is available in its entirety here: http://home.messiah.edu/~rcollins/Philosophical%20Theology/Atonement/Swart7.rtf 
I started with this since it was free Smile. Not sure I agree with everything, but this certainly whetted my appetite for more study.

The work critiques the non-violence theory based on Girard's understanding of the 'mimetic' nature of human desires, but instead of stopping there, it  builds on the same Girard foundation (so to speak) to form an alternative "incarnation atonement theory" which is claimed to be more in tune with Eastern Orthodox understanding. The claim is that this understanding was not developed systematically in a way that satisfied "western theological and philosophical categories". So far, most of this can be somewhat plausible but there are issues that I need to figure out on my own with further study before I make up my mind. If this plausibility holds, I will be interested for more and deeper studies; however I'm skeptical by nature, so we'll see. Thanks again :)

Posts 33260
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 6:39 PM

Super Tramp:
I accept Genesis period.

George Somsel:
I accept Genesis too, but not as science.

Which is why we need books like The Emergent Christ  by Ilia Delio to make us really think. (Ilia Delio is a theologian who is an expert on and a continuation of the theology of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33260
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 6:43 PM

George Somsel:
I don't believe in apologetics—you accept it or you don't, period.

Have you seen Paul J. Griffiths' An Apology for Apologetics: A Study in the Logic of Interreligious Dialogue? It gives a take you might like.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 8:47 PM

George Somsel:
I accept Genesis too, but not as science.  If that's what you wish to "think", you're entitled.

Methinks I use presuppositional apologetics. ...............Works for me! Geeked

ie: The Song of Moses (penned prior to the writing of Genesis & sung again in Heaven per the Revelation) is enough "scientific data for me to believe in the crossing of the Red Sea at a deep spot. Surprise

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 33260
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 19 2013 10:08 PM

Super Tramp:
Methinks I use presuppositional apologetics

Methinks that the usefulness of "presuppositional" depends upon the presuppositions ... accepting presuppositions has never been my strong suit. Just ask my chemistry profs.Devil

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2013 4:32 AM

Rosie Perera:
I'd also love to give Calvin's Institutes another thorough read one of these days, especially now that I've got the Battles/McNeill edition.

Yes I have been meaning to read through Calvin's Institutes as well but was waiting for the Battles/McNeill edition. Guess I'm out of excuses now that I have it.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2013 5:14 AM

Sleiman:

Let's suppose that you have to read x number of hours a day; or you're tasked with writing a thesis for your graduate studies in theology / bible studies  etc...

Now, which one topic or theme would excite you and keep you motivated the most?

P.S. This is just for fun and learning. I'm hoping the feedback motivates me for my next readathon :) thanks for sharing.

Interesting question Sleiman,

I would suggest gather all the Scriptures that confirm that Jesus is the Son of God[NOT God] and weight them against the Scriptures that prove Jesus IS God[God the Son].

Then when finished, compare them with what we have as the very Words of Christ that tell that he Knew He was the Son and not God.

IE> John 20:17 "....my God and to your God..." { Jesus knew he was not God and stated that He had a God, which was the same God as theirs, then ipso facto he Knew He wasn't God, but rather the Son. }

R4m.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 19276
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 20 2013 7:27 AM

Daniel Bender:

Rosie Perera:
I'd also love to give Calvin's Institutes another thorough read one of these days, especially now that I've got the Battles/McNeill edition.

Yes I have been meaning to read through Calvin's Institutes as well but was waiting for the Battles/McNeill edition. Guess I'm out of excuses now that I have it.

I had a professor once who used to read through Calvin's Institutes every year or two. His name was Eugene Peterson. Yes, the Eugene Peterson. He inspired me to want to read it through once a decade anyway, though I'm not sure I'll manage even that.

Posts 1364
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 7:27 PM

The Triune nature of God and how this affects Christian understanding and experience. I am amazed at it....beautiful!

Posts 1
David Richey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 8:04 PM

Casting out demons. this happened many times in Jesus ministry. very interesting topic.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 8:35 PM

Welcome to the forums David Richey.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 4:35 AM

The atonement.  Specifically, why an omnipotent God would 'require' a sacrifice.

Posts 133
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 12:09 PM

The Bridal paradigm of the Kingdom of God. The only way to rightly understand all of redemptive history is by understanding the why of what happens and where it is headed. I wrote my book on the Bridal paradigm and only scratched the surface of what the Bible teaches on it.

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS