MacbookPro

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Rico Bautista | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 21 2013 6:00 PM

Hi:

I am a newbie here and planning to buy a MBP for Logos 5. would you recommend the SSD or the HDD model? How have you set up your MBP for this?

I saw the min specs requirement, but was also hoping to learn from your experiences.

Thanks!

Rico

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 6:05 PM

I have a MBP, but an older one. The consensus is that an SSD really makes a difference... But you need to get one large enough for all your needs. I may upgrade my computers once Apple Care runs out... But my next Mac purchase will have an SSD (or Fusion) drive. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 21 2013 6:07 PM

Oh... You should know that supplies of MBP's are dwindling, which suggests Apple will release new ones in June. Even if you decide to go with a current model, chances are better deals will come soon. 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 12:02 AM

Welcome to the forums Rico. I have a mid-2009 MBP with a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and it runs L5 really well. A more modern MBP with SATA III support (mine is only SATA II) will be even quicker! If you can afford it, I can't recommend a SSD enough.

Posts 1593
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 1:22 AM

Word on the street is new laptops to be announced around June 10 at WWDC, though they may or may not be available immediately. It will at least be a spec bump to Intel's new Haswell processors, which means (probably) a minor bump in clockspeed, major bump in integrated graphics, and some kind of battery life increase. 

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Edit: and unless you have tons and tons of photos and movies you must carry with you at all times, absolutely the SSD. No question. Major MAJOR speed increases.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 1:40 AM

Ben:

Major MAJOR speed increases...

YesYesYes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 2:23 AM

+1 Yes for Apple's Flash Storage, which is faster than Apple's older SSD.

Apple offers refurbished Macs => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac  When new models are shipping, older model prices tend to drop.

13.3" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 GHz dual core i5, and 256 GB Flash Storage for $ 1,359 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD213LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

15.4" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 8 GB RAM, 2.3 GHz dual core i7, and 256 GB Flash Storage for $ 1,679 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

13.3" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 8 GB RAM, 2.9 GHz dual core i7, and 512 GB Flash Storage for $ 1,779 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0N40LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-29ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7-with-retina-display

13.3" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 GHz dual core i5, and 768 GB Flash Storage for $ 1,949 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0N41LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30
John5796 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 4:49 PM

I'm sure you'll be happy either way, but as the others have stated, the SSD is much faster. I used Windows for 17 years until I got an Imac 27'', I5, 16G ram, 1 TB 'standard' HD late last year and could not be happier. Everything, including Logos 5 runs great - no more blue screens, 2 minutes of boot up time, having to use bloated virus protection, etc. My only regret is that I did not make the switch sooner! 

Logos 9 - Win 10 - I7 8700 - 1TB SSD - 1TB HDD - 32G DDR4 - Still have Libronix running on an old laptop Wink

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 5:56 PM

John5796:
My only regret is that I did not make the switch sooner! 

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the switch! Smile

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 7:42 PM

I recently had my macbook pro 2010 model replaced by apple under applecare with a new mid 2012 model I  upgraded it to SSD and couldn't be happier… True quad core unlike the 2010 model… Boot up is under 15 seconds. Logos is very fast and responsive.

-Dan

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 7:54 PM

Dan Francis:
I recently had my macbook pro 2010 model replaced by apple under applecare with a new mid 2012 model

What went wrong with your 2010 model?

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 9:46 PM

Battery Bulge (my trackpad button would't even function unless i pushed with extreme force) after having the battery replaced, one of my fans died…it was replaced but since the battery replacement i had a lot of kernel panics and my SD card reader stopped working I took it in. It was taking forever to repair I called Apple to find out what was taking so long.. They agreed it was not right and if it wasn't ready by the end of the week they would make things right. It wasn't and I was told they were sending me a brand new computer asking me if there were any upgrades i wanted I said I would get the antiglare screen and the SSD drive. As soon as they saw my dead computer in the UPS return system they placed the order and my new computer came direct from the factory in China. So with under 6 days of Apple care left, I got a new computer from them. I am very grateful I would not be able to afford a new macbook and was worried it was dying and now rather than worried my computer might die, I have a new computer.

-Dan

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 4:59 AM

great! Smile

Posts 263
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 5:14 AM

SSDYes  There is a huge difference between SSD and HDD. SSD is the only way to go.

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 8:02 AM
An SSD is much faster and its quiet. I have the 512 Gb on my MBP and am very happy.

Rich+

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 9:42 AM

I'm thinking of buying a MBP with Retina display shortly. There are some decent refurbished deals on the 2012 model on the UK Apple Store. Assuming the MBP line is refreshed at the WWDC, is it likely that refurb prices on the Feb-2013 model will drop soon?

Posts 30479
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 10:19 AM

Paul-C:
s it likely that refurb prices on the Feb-2013 model will drop soon?

I would think so, but you might also miss out. Crying Hard to tell. Grr. Tongue Tied

Posts 2
Rico Bautista | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2013 9:07 PM

Thank you for the reply/comments. It looks like SSD is the way to go.

I was loosely following a thread from a forum of Mac users. To save costs, they endorse HDD model purchase then an SSD installation. The site is down at the moment preventing me from taking details to share.

Has anyone done something similar?

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 12:06 AM

Rico Bautista:

Thank you for the reply/comments. It looks like SSD is the way to go.

I was loosely following a thread from a forum of Mac users. To save costs, they endorse HDD model purchase then an SSD installation. The site is down at the moment preventing me from taking details to share.

Has anyone done something similar?

Yes. I was given my 2009 MBP by a colleague who upgraded their computer, and I replaced the standard HDD with a SSD. I found instructions online and it was easy. Prior to that, I've only ever upgraded the RAM in any computer, so my computer hardware technical experience was slim-to-none!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS