Page 3 of 8 (154 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 153 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 10
Rev. Clarence M. Wooley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 4:31 AM

Glad to know that I am not that far behind the curve on this new venture?

Posts 4
David Potete | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 5:59 AM

Cost will be an issue.  I am just about maxed out.  I truly appreciate Logos, the program and the company, but about all I can afford now from time to time is a community pricing offer that I am interested in.  Many of us do not get paid like a TV evangelist.  :)

Posts 8
Larry Neat Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 7:09 AM

Sounds like my situation. I could not pastor this church if I were not retired military as well as drawing Social Security; the funds I get from the church hardly cover my gas expense. I purchase and purchase the things I use and use, but eventually must just use what I have already purchased. Hopefully at some point we will be able to move into more of these materials; the need for them is absolutely massive.

Posts 25
LogosEmployee
Dale Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 9:09 AM

Cost: As I stated in an earlier response, we base our prices on our cost to produce the product. We are not focused on making the most affordable product but rather the best solution. That being said we know that the cost of education has risen in the past few years to the point at which people are searching for alternatives. There are a lot of free education opportunities on the internet but it is hard to distinguish between good and bad programs and none of them are connected to essential library resources. That’s where Logos Mobile Education comes in.

Here is our formula for maximum reduction in the cost of a first class education in Biblical studies.

1. Don’t give up your job
  2. Don’t relocate you family
  3. Stay home. Save travel expense by not commuting to schools and libraries
  4. Master your Logos software. Proficiency will buy you more time in your day.
  5. Build up your digital library for ministry.
  6. Take the best mobile education courses you can afford.  
  7. Learn in the very same environment in which you study and prepare your lessons and sermons.
  8. Become an active participant in an online community with other students
Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 9:41 AM

Will you offer payment plans as well? It might be a good option for those wishing to take some solid classes but need a more flexible way to pay for them.

This is basically what I do for college now. I charge each semester on a CC and pay it off using my WeatherBug paychecks. I haven't received any scholarships, so I'm just handling it this way. God is providing and giving me a solid education and a job to help pay for it, so I'm happy.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 25
LogosEmployee
Dale Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:09 AM

Payment Plans -- We have not given that any discussion at all. I will look into that. Thanks.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:10 AM

Dale Pritchett:
There are a lot of free education opportunities on the internet but it is hard to distinguish between good and bad programs

This is why we have accreditation agencies. I am really excited about Logos Mobile Education from what I have heard so far. However, if anyone is looking to be employed in any type of ministry from teaching to pastoring, most opportunities are going to require an accredited degree. I totally understand the concept of learning for the sake or learning, or learning for the sake of better ministry. However, when I was considering options for doctoral work years ago, I considered a distance school because it was cheap and I could stay in my place of ministry. It was also very credible, but not accredited by ATS or SACS. One of my M.Div. professors gave me great advice: "If you are going to do the work, you need to get credit for it."

I read Dale's earlier statement that schools were asking about partnering with Logos to offer credit for these courses. I really hope this happens and quickly. If these classes truly are Master's level courses, then people need to get Master's credit for them. Credit they can use toward degrees that will give them credentials to take advantage of ministry opportunities. For those individuals not seeking an type of vocational service this is not an issue, but for everyone else I would urge you to think about building up credentials that will be recognized by your future employers.

This is really exciting and I am looking forward to seeing it come to fruition!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:32 AM

Kevin Maples:
I read Dale's earlier statement that schools were asking about partnering with Logos to offer credit for these courses. I really hope this happens and quickly.
I am 100% for this type of partnership. However, I have never seen an accredited school grant credit for external programs without gouging the student with unearned fees. It seems common to charge $100 per credit hour entered on a transcript. The granting school is selling their name at a great profit. If you must deal with the profiteers in the temple courts I guess it has to be. But I just want the option to learn the material without the high fees. Many churches would rather have the education than the degree. "No credit" should be an option at a lower fee.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:37 AM

Super Tramp:
"No credit" should be an option at a lower fee.

I agree. I would just like to see both options. 

Posts 1738
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:55 AM

May I recommend a foundational course (maybe two) on

What Does the Bible say about Heaven and Hell?

Or Perhaps something more selective

What did Jesus about Heaven?

What did Jesus about Hell?

Posts 1738
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 10:58 AM

What did Jesus Say about Heaven?

What did Jesus Say about Hell?

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 11:07 AM

Kevin Maples:

Dale Pritchett:
There are a lot of free education opportunities on the internet but it is hard to distinguish between good and bad programs

This is why we have accreditation agencies. I am really excited about Logos Mobile Education from what I have heard so far. However, if anyone is looking to be employed in any type of ministry from teaching to pastoring, most opportunities are going to require an accredited degree. I totally understand the concept of learning for the sake or learning, or learning for the sake of better ministry. However, when I was considering options for doctoral work years ago, I considered a distance school because it was cheap and I could stay in my place of ministry. It was also very credible, but not accredited by ATS or SACS. One of my M.Div. professors gave me great advice: "If you are going to do the work, you need to get credit for it."

I read Dale's earlier statement that schools were asking about partnering with Logos to offer credit for these courses. I really hope this happens and quickly. If these classes truly are Master's level courses, then people need to get Master's credit for them. Credit they can use toward degrees that will give them credentials to take advantage of ministry opportunities. For those individuals not seeking an type of vocational service this is not an issue, but for everyone else I would urge you to think about building up credentials that will be recognized by your future employers.

True. If there was an option where we could apply these courses to college credits, I'd be very interested. Being able to perform my coursework directly inside Logos and get credit for it in seminary would be excellent. I've dreamed of doing this for a very long time.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 11:08 AM

Super Tramp:

Kevin Maples:
I read Dale's earlier statement that schools were asking about partnering with Logos to offer credit for these courses. I really hope this happens and quickly.
I am 100% for this type of partnership. However, I have never seen an accredited school grant credit for external programs without gouging the student with unearned fees. It seems common to charge $100 per credit hour entered on a transcript. The granting school is selling their name at a great profit. If you must deal with the profiteers in the temple courts I guess it has to be. But I just want the option to learn the material without the high fees. Many churches would rather have the education than the degree. "No credit" should be an option at a lower fee.

Another good option as well. For those that want the credits, pay extra for them, but for those that want an iTunes-U like audit approach, offer it for less. Good discussion so far on both sides.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 11:09 AM

Joshua Lieder:

What did Jesus about Heaven?

What did Jesus about Hell?

Charles Stanley also still has a lot of his course material from the former Charles Stanley Institute for Christian Living. A lot of his videos and coursework is already in electronic format, so it wouldn't take much to convert it to Logos format. It'd be great to revive this into Logos format. I'd sure pay to have it!

Nathan Parker

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 2:51 PM

Kevin Maples:

Dale Pritchett:

I completely agree.  This is a great idea for a resource, but it is not a substitute for a course for which one would receive credit; therefore, it should not be priced as such.  If the price is right (I have no idea what the right price should be), then I will certainly take advantage of some of these unique resources! 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 25 2013 10:32 PM

Nathan Parker:
Charles Stanley also still has a lot of his course material from the former Charles Stanley Institute for Christian Living. A lot of his videos and coursework is already in electronic format, so it wouldn't take much to convert it to Logos format. It'd be great to revive this into Logos format. I'd sure pay to have it!

Me too.  (boldface in quote mine)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 4:57 AM

Kevin Maples:
Yes

Posts 6
Rev. Reyes de Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 26 2013 8:41 AM

I am excited to see what courses will be offered.  I will complete my BS in Religion in April 2014 and would love to use the classes to supplement my current education.  So will it be general courses, prescribe courses around a topic, or classes for credit?   Many questions, will you provide more answers? Please!

Posts 1
Benjamin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 27 2013 8:59 AM

This is truly exciting news!  How does this integrate with your Knox Theological Seminary (KTS) relationship?  IS KTS the feeder group for instructors?  What is the vetting process for your potential instructors?

Page 3 of 8 (154 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS