Creating a budget and cancelling orders

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 2:40 PM

Unix:
Super Tramp, hope You'll be able to make as good decisions as possible with that outset. Would You like to discuss?

I was referring to Bruce Dunning's comment that he had an order in for every one of the 151 resources in Pre-Pub. If somebody needs an intervention it is Bruce. Big Smile

Here is Bruce's quote to say he has orders for "almost all of them." 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 4:48 PM

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

Personally I don't think someone should place an order if they are not planning to actually keep it.

But if your 151 Pre-Pubs all ship the same month, what to do? Surprise

I don't think that is going to happen. Logos is pretty good about spreading them out.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:27 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

Personally I don't think someone should place an order if they are not planning to actually keep it.

I don't think that is going to happen. Logos is pretty good about spreading them out.

I still have 9 kids living at home so I can't afford all 151 Pre-Pubs Community Pricing titles. I'm getting very selective with my choices lately and my outstanding list will still buy a good used car.  (Were we talking about CP titles or PP titles??)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:37 PM

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

I still have 9 kids living at home so I can't afford all 151 Pre-Pubs Community Pricing titles. I'm getting very selective with my choices lately and my outstanding list will still buy a good used car.  (Were we talking about CP titles or PP titles??)

$266.90 the remainder of the month with more to come next month.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 5:53 PM

George Somsel:
$266.90 the remainder of the month with more to come next month.

I'm down to $124 left in June but if I want the Baker Academic Biblical Studies Bundle I will have to go lean for a while. I really wish I knew when it will ship.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:13 PM

Super Tramp:

I still have 9 kids living at home so I can't afford all 151 Pre-Pubs Community Pricing titles.

Wow, 9 kids is a quiver full! What a blessing!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:27 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Oops. I was counting my wife and self in that 9.

Six of my children have left home and seven still live here. Thirteen total. By year's end 8 grand-children. I bought the Logos Organic Onesie for the youngest.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:40 PM

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

Six of my children have left home and seven still live here. Thirteen total. By year's end 8 grand-children. I bought the Logos Organic Onesie for the youngest.

Organic?  Is he going to eat it?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:54 PM

Super Tramp:

Bruce Dunning:

Wow Super Tramp. I am even more impressed. You and your family are true Logos supporters. As I said before, you are blessed! (not that you didn't already know this Wink)

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 7:47 PM

I understand, we thought we were seeing daylight when our oldest left the house and we only had six kids at home, but she came back and brought a husband and two little ones. Add to this, my father-in-law now lives with us and 13 has become the magic number.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2013 1:46 AM

Bruce, a big bunch will ship over a somewhat short period of time!:

Bruce Dunning:
I don't think that is going to happen. Logos is pretty good about spreading them out:
Super Tramp:
But if your 151 Pre-Pubs all ship the same month, what to do? Surprise:
Bruce Dunning:

You were talking PP. The purpose of this thread and the Faithlife group is all orders, including those You've bought during the last 29 days or so:

Super Tramp:
(Were we talking about CP titles or PP titles??)

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 10:52 PM

Don't fall pray for the thought that "My library is weak on x ..."!

if Your library is weak on something for years, that's a good sign.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 10:09 AM

Maybe the "wealth" in this passage is the Logos store and "pleasures" buying and reading any book You want?

Lk 8:14 (1989 REB): That which fell among thistles represents those who hear, but their growth is choked by cares and wealth and the pleasures of life, and they bring nothing to maturity.

Lk 8:14 (1966 JB): As for the part that fell into thorns, this is people who have heard, but as they go on their way they are choked by the worries and riches and pleasures of life and do not reach maturity.

Lk 8:14 (2006 RSV-2CE): And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.

* [Sorry I couldn't check this verse in UBS Translator's Handbook right now, as I have it opened to a passage in Jn and the ancient Mac interface (running on an emulator) is not that easy to use and/or I'm not used to it yet.]

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 10:49 AM

Unix:
* [Sorry I couldn't check this verse in UBS Translator's Handbook right now, as I have it opened to a passage in Jn and the ancient Mac interface (running on an emulator) is not that easy to use and/or I'm not used to it yet.]

Perhaps you haven't had it long enough.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 4:56 PM

The Bible has started to speak to me now that I read it through again since a long time, now I see passage after passage warning me.

Yes, one of my problems is that I want to have books for a long time, so I imagine that if I buy something on a sale or pre-pub now I'll have most of my life on me to read it. In reality I may never finish or utilize somehow all the books I have now + the ones I have on pre-pub.

Yes, having no internet, I'm a bit tired of trying to locate an online manual for it (Accordance 9), and I've had it only since April 2013, and I haven't used Mac since I studied programming 9 years ago (where I used the Mac only briefly, the time before that was in youth high-school):

George Somsel:
Perhaps you haven't had it long enough. Wink:
Unix:

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:03 PM

Most people might realize this already: but today I've been thinking extra about waiting if I don't need a resource within the next two years - x number of years from now there will be better resources on the same topic or my interest in the topic or title may have faded and then I have saved a buck by not buying upon impulse and imagined need.

It's common to think at start that You need a resource. But You have resources already - when are You getting to the newly bought resources? These are good questions to ask.

I think in a two-year perspective. Forcing myself to reading my "entire" library (it's OK to own a few handfuls of not useful resources) faster than that would be wrong. AND things don't change much in two years: my interests in different topics, the "urge" ... So everything is fine if I will utilize a resource that is now on pre-pub within two years after it has shipped and been paid.

How long is Your perspective and how have You arrived at that?

I want quality but I don't always know what quality is. Obviously I follow discussions and see what's recommended and I learn to know people here on Logos User Forums so that I understand a little about why they recommend particular resources. But one shouldn't be buying everything that is recommended.

What is recommended is to be Christian. Read the Bible in Gk. Have faith. Have a grasp of history. Many things beyond that are superfluous - I don't need to be able to preach on every book of the Bible and every Apostolic Father and Second Temple Judaism writing, every "Gnostic" writing or every important person in Christianity.

I do need some kind of reference literature, and I would probably say most people need unless they know their whole Bible by heart and have already been careful to look up things they are a bit uncertain about, to understand it.

Researching persons shouldn't be based upon looking up every time You see a name You are unfamiliar with, but on studying select persons. And selecting the objects is the critical part.

One should invest some thought-hours every now and then into making divisions between what is reference, what is elaboration/deeper knowledge, and what is a bit distant but good-to-know.
Examples of the latter are: how Christianity can be experienced in India (Oxford History... in Logos and Companion God by Montague as printed matter come to mind) or Performance Criticism (set in Logos) or Ethica by Spinoza (a terrific manuscript has newly been found but the book, printed matter, is still very expensive so have to wait for that price to drop!).

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2013 3:38 PM

One way of placing less orders, would be to when looking for collections, looking at the authors for mixed denominational backgrounds including Catholicism. There's less of such collections. Now that I've realized this again I'll start implementing that at once!

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:09 AM

My library is starting to get so big that I wonder whether I'll be able to read it!? How much do You think is realistic to read in say 11 years if focusing a lot on the purchased books? I will probably have studies and after that work, but probably part time, a large part of that time.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 29617
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:14 AM

Unix:
My library is starting to get so big that I wonder whether I'll be able to read it!?

The benefit of a large library within Logos isn't the ability to read every book... It is the ability to perform a search on any given topic and getting better results. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:17 AM

Unix:

My library is starting to get so big that I wonder whether I'll be able to read it!? How much do You think is realistic to read in say 11 years if focusing a lot on the purchased books? I will probably have studies and after that work, but probably part time, a large part of that time.

1 [bk/da] X 365 [da/yr] X 11 [yrs] = 4015 [bks to read]

george
gfsomsel

Page 2 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS