Justifying the expense

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:36 PM

This topic has likely been broached before. However, as I look at my physical books and wish they were also in digital form (I really like being able to search books in Logos) I wonder if I should duplicate the expense of buying them again. Has anyone done so? Is it worth it? Please let me know with a post or rambling muse.

K.L.

Posts 3062
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:45 PM

Kent:
I wonder if I should duplicate the expense of buying them again.

In my opinion, having done (some of) it, no. I don't regret buying Logos, but I have about 3/5 of my total resources that I never, ever use, and would love to have that money back in my wallet.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 29597
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:51 PM
Kent - It depends upon the resource. FYI - I sold all of my textbooks back that I could a couple of years ago and was able to purchase most of them back with the proceeds. I'm very glad I did.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:53 PM

Kent:

This topic has likely been broached before. However, as I look at my physical books and wish they were also in digital form (I really like being able to search books in Logos) I wonder if I should duplicate the expense of buying them again. Has anyone done so? Is it worth it? Please let me know with a post or rambling muse.

K.L.

A "rambling muse" here:

Re-think the idea of duplicating your physical books versus replacing them with electronic books.  By disposing of your physical books, once you have them in digital form, you eliminate a lot of negatives associated with a physical library. You don't have to clean them. You won't have to break your back the next time you move. No worries about loss to fire, tornado, or floods. Not even dust mites can ruin your library. You may even finance new Logos e-book acquisitions with funds earned by selling off your physical books. That is about all I will say about it. Zip it!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:26 PM

Thanks Alabama, but many of my textbooks are not available in Logos. Some of them I have paid more than a hundred dollars for and the school is offering 10 to buy them back, what a ripoff.

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:27 PM

I have gone through the process of replacing almost all of the paper copies I had of dictionaries and commentaries with Logos versions. I took quite a few years to do so, and then sold the paper versions to recoup a little of the expense. While I would have preferred not to have to have done this, it was a good decision and one I am glad I could make and pay for.

I have added other resources besides dictionaries and commentaries that I had in paper, but those two categories seem to give the greatest payback when available to me in Logos.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2272
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:28 PM

I have had great success selling books that I want to buy in Logos via Amazon.com.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly books sell there.  I would not be able to keep both digital and paper books, nor would I want to in most cases.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:52 PM

I have some duplication between my physical and digital libraries, however I am moving towards a logos only library and am happy about the decision.

I have a number of journals on a shelf. Its a pain if I want to read what a particular journal has to say about a specific topic... find the index journal, find the topic at hand, read the article.

Wheras with Logos a few buttons on the keyboard and viola I've found what I'm looking for.

Also with the linking of the journals to other resources, if one is quoted, a few clicks (assuming I own the quoted resource) takes me to the quote in context.

The same holds true for dictionaries, and so forth. In stead of grabbing each individual book, searching the TOC or Index for what you're looking for, I can simply search across all my dictionaries, or commentaries etc, and view all the results in more or less the same place!

This save more time than I can quantify...

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 3:45 AM

Between the saving of physical space, the option to recoup via Amazon, Alibris and other websites, and the functionality of the Logos library I'd say it's a no-brainer. Also the recent discussions re a 'send to Kindle' feature coupled with Android apps, means that you have a Martini library - any time, any place, anywhere.

abondservant:

on the keyboard and viola

That's music to my ears... Wink

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 3:51 AM

Kent:
However, as I look at my physical books and wish they were also in digital form (I really like being able to search books in Logos) I wonder if I should duplicate the expense of buying them again. Has anyone done so? Is it worth it?

Every time one of the print books I own arrives in Logos, I sell the print book via Amazon, and purchase the Logos edition. I rarely cover my costs, but I usually get about 75% of the value of the Logos book covered. I've sold of hundreds of volumes this way. The convenience of Logos makes it a no-brainer for me.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:21 AM

<ramble> I've given away many books, both intentionally (as gifts) and also sometimes to clear the shelf. I think that's an option to consider, if finances are not that tight. </ramble>

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:23 AM

I was going to delve into this but decided to just say "buyer beware" Logos is expensive, do your research you may find you can use other programs or resources side by side without breaking the bank.

I still have a paper library, as well as two other programs I use which has saved me a substantial amount buy not buying them in my Logos.

You control your finances, its your $$'s and your responsibility to use what God has given you wisely. Not about who has the biggest toys.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:55 AM

I have for the past few years sold many of my physical books on ebay and then replaced many of them on Logos.  You have to make the judgement call if a particular resource is worth replacing if you sell the hardcopy version.  For me if I can sell the book  for about half of the Logos version, then I will replace it.  I am trying to get rid of all my harcopy commentaries first, then dictionaries, then theology.  I have went from 10 bookshelves to just 4 in 2 years.  I think you will always have some hardcopies, either Logos doesn't carry it or you have some books that have sentimental value (like the Barth commentary on Romans that I spent one summer class reading about a hundred times.)  

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:03 AM

Logos has not been able to replace every book in my library but I'm trying to replace as many as possible. Selling paper versions is one option. Another option is giving them away to bless others.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:08 AM

Kent:
Some of them I have paid more than a hundred dollars for and the school is offering 10 to buy them back, what a ripoff.

I tend to sell most of my books for more than I bought them for.Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:08 AM

Everett Headley:
 I think you will always have some hardcopies, either Logos doesn't carry it or you have some books that have sentimental value

Not being a sentimental person, I have no books of this type. Have pretty much given up on dead tree resource because of the hassle of searching for information in them. Just have one or two hardcover books that are not (yet) available in Logos.

Donated almost all of my paper library, as finances were not really an issue (my wife lets me keep most of what I earn from a part-time job, most of which goes to Logos Big Smile).

BTW: Older persons like Milford Murray and I enjoy digital resources far more than paper ones Cool

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:20 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
I was going to delve into this but decided to just say "buyer beware" Logos is expensive, do your research you may find you can use other programs or resources side by side without breaking the bank.

That reminds me of the old days when I had my kitchen table covered with my Bible, several commentaries, Strong's, and all volumes of the ISBE.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:23 AM

Super Tramp:
That reminds me of the old days when I had my kitchen table covered with my Bible, several commentaries, Strong's, and all volumes of the ISBE.

I am happy to not return to those days! Logos makes study so much easier now and, as a result, I find myself studying even more.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:04 AM

Super Tramp:

Whyndell Grizzard:

I still do that occasionally - but most of the time, dual monitors with Logos and another favorite program, and there is still plenty of room for a couple books. 

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:41 AM

More than 2,000 books fall, brought to you by the Seattle Public Library.

Record setting domino chain reaction (edit: even better link!)

Thank the Lord for my Logos digital library that I can bring with me. Now if only Logos could write an app that allows us to virtually stack our books to create our own domino chains?

David

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS