Justifying the expense

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 2:50 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I would like to exchange my paper books for digital ones but I fear the future. Software changes, fads, and this guy,  www.kevinpurcell.org/5-reasons-to-buy-logos-bible-software/

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 2:53 PM

The last post was an attempt at humor but got lost in translation or somewhere else.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:45 PM

Kent:

The last post was an attempt at humor but got lost in translation or somewhere else.

Hmmm.  Very weird.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:14 PM

Steve:
Hmmm.  Very weird.

I was thinking the same thing.Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:46 PM

I am replacing all my hard copy volumes with Logos. I love having my library on my ipad. It is with me everywhere I go. I have not regretted any money I have spent. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:24 PM

Jack Caviness:

Everett Headley:
 I think you will always have some hardcopies, either Logos doesn't carry it or you have some books that have sentimental value

Not being a sentimental person, I have no books of this type. Have pretty much given up on dead tree resource because of the hassle of searching for information in them. Just have one or two hardcover books that are not (yet) available in Logos.

Donated almost all of my paper library, as finances were not really an issue (my wife lets me keep most of what I earn from a part-time job, most of which goes to Logos Big Smile).

BTW: Older persons like Milford Murray and I enjoy digital resources far more than paper ones Cool

Thou speakest truly, Brother Jack!                                 *smile*                        (Although, I must admit that sometimes I miss the "smell" of a good book, particularly the wonderful aroma of a leather-bound Bible -- especially the King James ????    -- actually not sure about the version -- actually any leather-bound Bible -- )

Peace!                                                                                      *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:33 PM

David Bailey:

More than 2,000 books fall, brought to you by the Seattle Public Library.

Record setting domino chain reaction (edit: even better link!)

Thank the Lord for my Logos digital library that I can bring with me. Now if only Logos could write an app that allows us to virtually stack our books to create our own domino chains?

David

Thank you, David!               Very much!                   Very pleasant!                             *smile*                                                 Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:55 PM

I strongly recommend that you make a spreadsheet and do the math. That's what I did before buying a base package. Logos' advertised "worth over $28,000 in print" is meaningless if you don't want or need most of those books.

Copy the list of books in the various base packages from the comparison page into a spreadsheet, then mark the books according to whether you need/want them. I did a 1-2-3 scale, where 1 was "I would never buy this, but I'll probably use it if I have it," 2 was "I want this and might buy it," and 3 was "if I don't get the base package, I will still definitely buy this book." If you wouldn't use it or already own it, leave it blank. Look up the individual prices in Logos, stick them in the spreadsheet, and add them up for each level (the SUMIF function is great for this).

For me, the "need" books included in Platinum added up about $100 less than the cost of the Platinum package. If I included the "want" books, the cost of buying individually was about $500 higher than the cost of the Platinum package.

So yes, I have a lot of books in my library that I don't want or need, but I consider those "freebies." I'm confident that I paid a good price for the set of books that I do want and need, and that's what matters.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 3:42 PM

Thanks all- the question was, Do I buy the books in the digital format -Logos- that I already have in paper form thus duplicating the expense? One example would be Grudem's Systematic Theology, a book I still have a need for.

Posts 29609
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 4:21 PM

Kent:
Do I buy the books in the digital format -Logos- that I already have in paper form thus duplicating the expense? One example would be Grudem's Systematic Theology, a book I still have a need for.

I know that Grudem has been on sale from time to time over the past couple of years. Wait until then. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 7:47 PM

What would be a good sale price for Grudem?

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 12:09 AM

Kent:

Thanks all- the question was, Do I buy the books in the digital format -Logos- that I already have in paper form thus duplicating the expense? One example would be Grudem's Systematic Theology, a book I still have a need for.

For something like a Systematic Theology, I wouldn't buy it again if I already have a print copy. Especially Grudem's, but to each his own. Smile

For a dictionary, encylopedia, or especially an original language resource (lexicon or grammar), I think it would definitely be worth it to repurchase in Logos, and perhaps sell the print copy. A commentary would be somewhere in between for me, but I'd think about it if there was a really good deal.

The question, really, is how much value Logos adds for a particular book. Search-ability is always an advantage, but Google Books search works for finding page numbers when I own a print copy. Quick lookup and integration with the Passage and Exegetical Guides are, to my mind, the biggest advantages of Logos resources over print, and those come into play especially with dictionaries, commentaries, and lexical resources.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 12:52 PM

Kevin Maples:

What would be a good sale price for Grudem?

$27.99 or cheaper. Give sales a call and see if they can do that price now.  Read the reviews on the product page to see why you should buy it now.

Sales     800-875-6467    or  (360) 685-443

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 5:26 PM

Since I cannot take a library with me as I work for a railroad and travel constantly, I guess I will buy the digital books I can (the ones Logos carries). I may also buy a Kindle fire to get the ones Logos does not carry. Amazon provides digital books of most books I need. I am trying to finish my degree which is mostly online and I serve as a Bi-vocational Pastor. My library at home is more of a "trophy case" now anyway.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 7:49 PM

Since I started using Logos about 5 yrs ago, it was a real paradigm shift for my Bible study.

I initially thought that I would not want to duplicate those already on my shelves. I soon realized that I got more use out of titles in Logos.  My large print library is now mostly unused. I waited for my favorites to go on sale (or show up in upgrade packages) and then added the electronic versions.

It's a gradual process. Doesn't have to be done immediately.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 7:18 AM

Edwin Bowden:
I soon realized that I got more use out of titles in Logos.  My large print library is now mostly unused.

My experience exactly.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2736
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 2:55 PM

I've been selling off print volumes more now on an-going basis. I made a major investment in most of them long ago. I physically couldn't possibly do with bound volumes what I do with Logos especially now. Logos is a real blessing.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 3:52 PM

I wouldn’t even think of buying even half of my Logos e-books, in print form. Why? Mostly because space and expense. I bought several commentaries on the Community Pricing section for a fraction of what Logos requests now that it is an e-book, I can’t imagine what the cost would be for the print books. I have a small religious print-book library at home, so that means that I only had to pay twice on a book, only a hand-full of times. I never regret paying twice for the Logos e-book version, just frustrated at buying the book in the first place, just to later see the book offered, in the far superior, Logos e-book version.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:00 PM

J Hale:
I wouldn’t even think of buying even half of my Logos e-books, in print form. Why? Mostly because space and expense.

I can imagine that years ago the book publishing industry was concerned that the new digital age may dramatically reduce their profits but I think the opposite may have resulted. The publishing industry has changed considerably in the last 20 years.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS