Logos for Nook HD and HD+; It works!!

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 25
Jeffrey Willis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 8 2013 9:25 AM

I just discovered that the Nook HD and HD+ run on Android. Sooooo, that means you can get Logos for the Nook. Just goto Google Play in your Nook Apps section and select apps. Goto search and type in Logos; its that simple. Have it on my Nook HD and it works great. I know the Logos website says nothing about compatibility with Nook but oh well. Just thought I would share with those of you who didn't know this. God Bless!!!!

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 9:49 AM

Jeffrey Willis:
I know the Logos website says nothing about compatibility with Nook but oh well.

Logos doesn't advertise compatibility with devices, it advertises compatibility with platforms. "Nook" isn't a platform, "Android" is. It wasn't until recently that Barnes & Noble enabled the Nook HD to be able to run Android apps from the Play store. This was possible previously, but only if you "rooted" the device.

Glad you like it. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25
Jeffrey Willis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't see anyone posting anything about Logos for Nook  thats why I posted. Good insight. Thanks again.

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 10:40 AM

Jeffrey Willis:
I don't see anyone posting anything about Logos for Nook  thats why I posted.

I am an iPad user, and am unlikely to get an android device… but I have heard good things about the Nook. Unfortunately, it hasn't done very well. Hopefully this move by B&N will give it more visibility. And perhaps your post will help others to take a look at it. Smile

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 11:19 AM

The 7" weighs ~2 pounds and costs £93 used.
I wonder if 16 GB is enough for Logos for 1,050 books? Index file size 2.22 GB in Windows 7.

Does the battery last 10 hours? Is that good performance or just average? Would there be much better and cheaper options for me within a year from now? I would use it just for reading Logos books, nothing else, no surfing or taking notes.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 11:58 AM

Unix:
Index file size 2.22 GB in Windows 7.

There isn't an index file… at least, not one like in L5. Searches are performed on the Logos servers.

Unix:
Would there be much better and cheaper options for me within a year from now?

Yes. And the year after, and the year after, and the year after. Wink

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:02 PM

So is there much that needs to be improved in the Nook HD 7" other than battery life? As I would use it only for reading, cost for purchasing the device and purchasing a new battery once or twice, would be my only concerns! So I really wonder if that's going to improve a whole lot in a year? Maybe now is the right time?

I've been noticing that I have a lot of time to kill for example in public transport and that I don't find enough time to sit at home with the laptops and that battery cost for laptops is high:

alabama24:
Yes. And the year after, and the year after, and the year after. Wink:
Unix:
Would there be much better and cheaper options for me within a year from now?

But with a Nook I would still access my books for reading them without being connected to the internet, right? The books are stored in the RAM, right? Because I neither want nor afford internet at all:

alabama24:
There isn't an index file… at least, not one like in L5. Searches are performed on the Logos servers:
Unix:
Index file size 2.22 GB in Windows 7.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:48 PM

If you need it, can afford it, can justify the expense, and have prayed about it, "now" is always a good time. I follow Apple products very closely and "know" (as much as can be known) when new products are going to be released. It's not a good time to be buying a new Mac, for example. On Monday, there is a good chance new Macs will be announced. I don't know if any patterns have been discovered about nook devices. My suggestion is if new devices are soon to be released, to wait. Even if you are going to get a current model, it will be cheaper after new ones come out. Wink

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:54 PM

Books are not stored in "ram," they are stored on the "hard drive." In the case of tablets, that is flash memory. The "16" or "32" GB that you see is the storage space, not the "ram."

I know nothing about the android app, but it is my understanding that you CAN download resources for offline use. I will give you the advice I give iOS users though... Sometimes the best "fix" for the mobile apps is to delete and reinstall. For that reason, and other performance issues, I don't recommend downloading your entire library unless absolutely necessary. For most people that is more of an "I can do it" than an "I need to do it." With wifi availability in most homes, offices, and many public spots, what is the point?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 4:17 PM

I find it a bit humorous that having all books on the device would make it slower. Or do You just mean it would be slower to spot and open the book I want to read among the close to one thousand books?:

alabama24:
Sometimes the best "fix" for the mobile apps is to delete and reinstall. For that reason, and other performance issues, I don't recommend downloading your entire library unless absolutely necessary.

I've had a bad experience from using Wifi. I almost destroyed one laptop because of using Wifi outside the public library in the winter, that's the nearest and most convenient internet. There's no electricity outside. That library has VERY limited opening hours - I will always be studying when it's open.

I would like to begin reading the next book spontaneously when I've finished one.

There's not a whole lot of Wifi access over here. I would usually have to travel at least one hour to reach the nearest Wifi, and many of those spots have a bit limited opening hours. Train stations don't have the kind of Wifi I could access, only one station has but I don't make a stop there I just pass by and I would have to pay comparatively much for the Wifi. I don't have and won't be having the kind of work where I have an office or am in a building which has Wifi. I work part-time a little bit in a Christian elementary school, that school is poor and the families are poor so there's certainly no Wifi coming.

I never stay at hotels and very rarely at youth hostels (maybe a week totally, maybe a little more, during the last 6 years and even less before that).

Where I'm studying in the Fall 2013 has (I don't care to find out in advance, I know because I've studied there in the Fall 2012), I don't know whether the uni has but it might very well have since it's somewhat large. The protestant college has (I know because I've applied to lower studies in the Spring 2012). I don't know whether the Roman-Catholic college has and I suppose it's very small. I don't know whether the theological libraries that are open for everyone have but they should have.

I don't pass by airports. The train to the Roman-Catholic college goes in a tunnel beneath the largest airport, so I really don't think even one book can be downloaded and it's very uncertain whether Wifi works at all at that station in the tunnel or whether it's free. The entire train is second class and has no Wifi. More expensive trains would be slower because You would have to change trains once in each direction:

alabama24:
With wifi availability in most homes, offices, and many public spots, what is the point?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 4:49 PM

Unix:

I find it a bit humorous that having all books on the device would make it slower. Or do You just mean it would be slower to spot and open the book I want to read among the close to one thousand books?

I didn't say it would make it slower! I said there were performance issues. First of all, many/most users struggle with space of their device at some time or another. At least, if they are really making the most of their device they will struggle with this issue. Flash drives aren't as susceptible to issues of the drive being overly full, but it is still advisable to leave some breathing room. Another issue: many of the guide features and searches are performed on the Logos servers (another reason for wifi). There are semi-regularly users who have issues because their downloaded version doesn't match the one on the servers. When the book is drawn from the cloud, this isn't an issue.

Im not saying you shouldn't download resources... I have about 100 downloaded. Anything on my reading list is downloaded, plus a number of general reference works. Some people use their tablets for "heavy lifting" in Logos... I don't. But I also do very little reading on my desktop. Each serves a specific purpose better than the other. 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 8:23 PM

Latest benchmark baseline June 2. 2013 http://www.androidbenchmark.net/baseline.php?ids=194059
External read 13.8 MBytes/sec.
... That's a lot worse than the popular (and expensive) Samsung Galaxy S III (SHV-E210L) http://www.androidbenchmark.net/baseline.php?ids=182440

How would external read speed be noticeable in opening books?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 24283
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2013 11:34 PM

Unix:
I've had a bad experience from using Wifi.

Its worth pointing out - if it wasn't already clear - that the only way of getting Logos resources into mobile devices is over a network connection. This can be wifi or mobile / cellular network

Once downloaded they can be read offline but the issues which Alabama refers to do need to be taken into account.

Posts 29042
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 7:27 AM

If anyone is interested, the Nook is on a HUGE sale this week only. 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 11:51 AM

Thanks, alabama24!

I thought and now read that it supports microSD. (Altough according to a customer review You have to be careful when inserting the card.) Is that the "external read" the androidbenchmark.net is talking about?
Would I be able to transfer files between my Windows laptop and the Nook HD with the microSD? Such as text and images.

According to this review it has better battery life than competitors. That's very important.

Problems placing order, International Priority Airmail:

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 1:22 PM

Unix:

Would I be able to transfer files between my Windows laptop and the Nook HD with the microSD? Such as text and images.

Sorry.  Sad  I'm lost. 

Log on to your account on the Nook and have access to everything on your account.

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 3:02 PM

Unix:
Would I be able to transfer files between my Windows laptop and the Nook HD with the microSD?

If you're speaking of Logos resource files, then answer is no.  See Graham's post above.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 3:11 PM

Todd, I was mainly thinking of plain text files. Transferring images surely must be possible, isn't it?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 4:04 PM

There were 2 of them for sale for the same £93 price, within the UK on amazon.co.uk One (the one with a case/sleeve) sold. Neither shipped abroad:

Unix:
The 7" weighs ~2 pounds and costs £93 used.

Now I found one on ebay. I guess it would ship abroad? The price is a bit high, £100 (or higher but I wouldn't pay higher): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barnes-Noble-NOOK-HD-16GB-Wi-Fi-7in-Smoke-/121121871901?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item1c336d181d. Bidding closes in two days and I wouldn't want to wait longer than that. I wonder what kind of shipping they use?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 3741
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2013 6:46 PM

For those interested, the NOOK HD+ (both 16 GB and 32 GB) are on sale this week only.  $149 and $179 respectively, both on-line and in-store, if I understand correctly.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS