Day 7 Christmas Special

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 72 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:07 PM

MJ. Smith:
It is my observation that most atheists have a very strong definition of "God". Most of the time, I can tell them with complete honesty that if that was my definition of God, I would be atheist or agnostic. To be fair, many Christians have a definition of "God" I find equally unsatisfactory - and I often find them as difficult to deal with.

I'm not really sure what your point is. But I don't think that when atheists read the Bible and discover God for who he really is rather than their false image, they will exactly line up to become Christians... Like I said, John 3...

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:16 PM

It's a problem to find the right balance isn't it.  On the one hand, we have the Jesus loves everyone approach which taken to its extreme results in tolerance for everyone and everything - on the other we have the legalist approach which tends to lead to condemnation.  I think we would all agree that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Where we lie on that continuum may well be determined by our giftings.  The one who has the gift of mercy will tend to the former, the one with a prophetic gifting will tend to the latter.  Probably none of us have the Christlike balance, but the balance can likely be found in the body itself.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:35 PM

I knew when Joe started this thread it would turn into a fight about Christian charity! ... so typical.

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 6:58 PM

Jesus said. I did not come to judge the world, I came to save it..

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:03 PM

Is Christmas a word that should be avoided in thread titles?

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:06 PM

Romans 1:18–20

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:14 PM

I have not posted further since things flared up, though I've been following the discussion. I am sorry if anything I said caused people to start going at each other's throats. That was not my intent at all. I suggest we cool it and leave this subject alone. There are evidently strong feelings about it on both sides, and we won't resolve our differences by hashing them out here where we cannot see each other's faces or hear each other's tones of voice. It's probably one of those things where we'll have to agree to disagree. At least for now. There are indeed models in Scripture for both harsh calls for repentance and the gentle inviting touch. The truth is that it's not either/or but both/and. We all probably also have skewed caricatures in our minds (based on past experience, no doubt) of what the other model than our preferred one looks like when practiced by our fellow believers. So probably none of us is completely right, and we need to admit that and be thankful that it doesn't take "being right" to get into heaven. And let me forestall right now a whole 'nother spate of arguing about whether anyone can be less than 100% right while not being 100% wrong...I unintentionally set people off on that rabbit trail in another thread... It's already been done to death. OK?Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:02 PM

Yeah it is all Joe's fault, or John's, or Rosie's, or Matthew's....

How come the atheists get to spit on Jesus at Christmas and all the Christ-followers blame each other?  The atheists did not pick a fight with disciples of Christ, they picked a fight with God

Let us all agree to pray for a spiritual awakening in Seattle. That is a response we can be sure God approves of.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:40 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Yeah it is all Joe's fault, or John's, or Rosie's, or Matthew's....
I know you are kidding, but why drag my name into this silliness.  I posted the image in response to another comment for a bit of humor, not to prompt a discussion about how we should talk to atheists.  Zip it!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:52 PM

Joe Miller:
why drag my name into this silliness.

"Cause John said he knew this would result when he saw your post.. Devil  And if I didn't pad my name with the lot of you, I would be standing there all alone. Embarrassed

If the atheists can't stand the heat, let them stay off the busses!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:54 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Joe Miller:
why drag my name into this silliness.

"Cause John said he knew this would result when he saw your post.. Devil  And if I didn't pad my name with the lot of you, I would be standing there all alone. Embarrassed

true enough brother.. and we certainly agree on praying for the spiritual need of the lost here in Seattle.. Blessings.

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 4:00 AM

Huh? I didn't know you posted the image... I was referring to your opening post. Of course, that was just a reference to a joke someone made to Randy in the other Christmas thread. 

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:23 AM

John Bowling:
Huh? I didn't know you posted the image...
Thanks for clarifying and no worries my friend. It will all be gone and forgotten in a day :-)

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS