Reformed Theology-predestination

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:15 PM

After reading R.C. Sproul, the question came up, If God knew you before the foundation of the Earth, and therefore the place of your eternal destiny was settled before time began, how is your decision to accept Christ really your decision? It cannot be settled then and both not be settled at the same time.

My head started to hurt and I quit reading. Tongue Tied

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:49 PM

God knows the end from the beginning.  Now I'm not as omnipotent as God, but I do know that if I give a child the choice between a chocolate and an onion, I'm pretty sure he'll choose the chocolate.  The fact that I know the choice he'll make in no way takes away the child's decision.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:01 PM

Alex Scott:
but I do know that if I give a child the choice between a chocolate and an onion, I'm pretty sure he'll choose the chocolate.

Many people go for a chocolate-covered onion. Ick!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:50 PM

Super Tramp:

Alex Scott:
but I do know that if I give a child the choice between a chocolate and an onion, I'm pretty sure he'll choose the chocolate.

Many people go for a chocolate-covered onion. Ick!

Matthew, you should listen to Lucy.  After all, she does charge 5¢.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:10 AM

If your head hurts, try this for a change. Your head might clear up, or hurt even more!

Hopefully we'll be able to see this in Logos eventually.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:38 AM

Kent, if you want to explore this further, I can recommend http://www.logos.com/product/26686/for-calvinism-and-against-calvinism 

It does go on sale now and again if you can wait.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:43 AM

@Paul-C

Fascinating. Thanks for recommending this.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 1:08 AM

My pleasure, Lee. Smile

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 3:03 PM

Thank you for the perspectives. I am currently diving into Spurgeon's Sermons. He certainly had a lot to say on the issue and you have to love his passion. Though I have found that unlike Spurgeon, who was a calvanist and very evangelistic calling sinners to repent and put their faith in Christ, many modern calvanist say the reason they don't is because of predestination.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 3:19 PM

Kent:

Thank you for the perspectives. I am currently diving into Spurgeon's Sermons. He certainly had a lot to say on the issue and you have to love his passion. Though I have found that unlike Spurgeon, who was a calvanist and very evangelistic calling sinners to repent and put their faith in Christ, many modern calvanist say the reason they don't is because of predestination.

Then such are not "Calvinists" per se but instead hyper-(or overbalanced) calvinists.

Limited Atonement and the great commission are not mutually exclusive. Instead they dovetail together nicely. We are commanded to find the elect.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 3:35 PM

Well said

Posts 234
Ben Hein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 4:24 PM

God sovereignly ordains the ends as well as the means.

Rev. Ben Hein

Shady Grove Presbyterian Church (PCA)

Reformed Theological Seminary, M.Div (2017)

www.shadygrovepca.org

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 5:13 PM

Thank you I do want to explore this further. Being in a somewhat anti-Calvin, though not fully arminian school, I would like to see some more well thought out viewpoints.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 5:19 PM

For my undergraduate program I attended a school founded by the Christian and Missionary Alliance (arminian), and in fact was administered by CMA parishioners. However the teaching staff were mostly Southern Baptist (and reformed in their soteriology) and Presbyterian.

Officially they are non-denominational.

I consider myself soteriologicaly reformed.

Thanks for the compliment Evan!

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:40 PM

Kent:
I would like to see some more well thought out viewpoints.
Are you aware of these?:

I do not have nor have I read all of these. Several are classics on the subject, others are introductory. I hope you find some that help.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS