Bible Background Collection

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 236
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:33 PM

Hey Mark, what happens to our collections when/if Logos updates the metadata?  I would imagine that our strings will need to be modified.  Would you agree or do you think all our bases are covered with the strings you have proposed?

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:36 PM

When you write strings you need to anticipate new metadata, if only for the metadata in resources you will buy in the future. I've tried to write the strings as future-compatible as possible, but of course there are no guarantees. You'll be pretty safe, I think. It is an interesting question though, which I'm going to raise in another thread.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:54 AM

Emery Horvath:

Is this subject too dynamic (diverse) to be updated dynamically? 

Indeed it's a pretty diverse subject, but it certainly makes sense to me why you'd want to make a collection for it. If the search string gets too unwieldy (I believe there is still a 200 character limit on the length of search strings, and anyway reading it and parsing it gets cumbersome when it's so complicated), you might want to consider using nested collections. Mark Barnes has created an excellent video on how to set up nested collection. You could make, for example, a collection for all your archaeological background books, another for all your manners and customs background books, another for history, etc. You get the idea. Your sub-categories might differ from what I'm suggesting. Then make one grand encompassing collection which includes those other collections nested within it. Mark's video will show you how to do that.

Posts 1706
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:32 AM

Emery Horvath:
Does any one out there have a good working search string to create a collection for Bible Backgrounds like IVP Bible Background, Manners & Customs, Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, Archeological Encyclopedia etc.   Bible Backgrounds seem to span multiple types.

Not perfect, but try something like this:

(title:(introduction,survey,history,background,archaeology,antiquities) OR subject:(survey,history,background,archaeology,antiquities) OR (subject:Bible AND subject:introduction)) ANDNOT (title:church OR type:harmony OR subject:philosophy)

Depending on what else is in your library, you may need to add commas and more subjects before the last bracket, to exclude introductions to other subjects.

The exclusions kill off church history and harmonies. Subject with Bible OR introduction included too many, but insisting on Bible AND introduction (or one of hte othe subject lines) seemed useful.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS